An official message from Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.
to the new Model T owner.

It appears that service intervals have been extended for modern cars.

...an excerpt from the Ford Owner's manual.

Link

In driving a new car the following points of care are of particular
importance: Do not drive over 20 miles per hour for the first 500 miles.
Change the oil in the crankcase at the end of the first 400 miles and
every 750 miles thereafter, except during cold weather, when it is
advisable to change oil every 500 miles.
Keep car well oiled and greased throughout.
Have adjustments made as soon as possible after need for them
is noticed.
Drain and refill radiator frequently, especially while your car is
new. ·Have the battery inspected every two weeks and fresh distilled
water added. Keep all boltl! and nuts properly tightened.
We invite you to take advantage of our thirty-day free inspection
and adjustment service, and suggest that you drive your car into our
service station every ten days during this period. This will insure your
receiving maximum service from your car at the minimum of expense.
The knowledge and skill of our mechanics is at your service at
all times, and we want you to always consider our service department
the proper home for your Ford car.

Wonder what sort of Fe reading a UOA would show at that 750 miles? 1000ppm+, lol. motor oil back then probably wasn't too much cleaner than when it came out of the ground. AH-OOOOH-GAAA!

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
They don't build them like they use to, thank god.

Several years before he died, Paul Harvey reported on a test that the army did with the latest Humvee. (Okay, Paul Harvey liked to stretch the truth and reported only what he wanted to report. But in this case....) The Humvee had to climb a mountain of rough terrain and it was a timed event. After the Humvee was finished, they timed a stock Model T doing the same obstacle course. The Model T had a much better time.

I once read a little of a Chrysler owner's manual circa 1924. There were quite a few grease points that required weekly attention. Just the other day a brass trimmed Model T touring car breezed by me heading west as I went east. Brass is 1917 or earlier IIRC. At one time Model Ts accounted for half the cars in the world. A world with very few paved roads too.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Several years before he died, Paul Harvey reported on a test that the army did with the latest Humvee. (Okay, Paul Harvey liked to stretch the truth and reported only what he wanted to report. But in this case....) The Humvee had to climb a mountain of rough terrain and it was a timed event. After the Humvee was finished, they timed a stock Model T doing the same obstacle course. The Model T had a much better time.

Pretty neat. But what type of payload and towing can the "T" handle?

In the days of the Model T the roads were sometimes just ruts and scars in the earth so a vehicle had to have some off-road abilities to get around at all.

Just remember when you do your 10K oil change that in the days of the Model T it was time to replace the piston rings.

I really enjoyed that.

You had to be a pretty good mechanic to keep a Model T running. On the other hand a pretty good mechanic could keep it running without enormous cost. My father used to talk about pouring new babbit bearings. He even had his own lead ladle. I wonder how long they lasted.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
They don't build them like they use to, thank god.

Look up the steam powered car on youtube that Jay Leno owns and drives around. Takes like an hour or so to heat up before you can even start driving it.

My grandmother used to tell the story of how they would go from Wells to Northville and had to back up the hill in the Model T . And quite often they would have to stop and change the bands in the transmission
shocked.gif

My dad talked about using leather as a temporary replacement for a babbit bearing. Imagine getting that far into an engine and putting in a short term fix - guess you plan to be back next week with a poured bearing, but have to drive to town to get the mail meanwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back