Mobil 1 European Formula 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: zeng
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: harrydog
Which brings me to my concern regarding intake deposits with the direct injection engines.
the one being NOACK volatility (M1 0w-40 has a NOACK volatility of 8.8%, the general limit for Euro oils is 10%, API limit is 15%) and the other is TEOST, which AMSOIL publishes some data on, which is a specific deposit test.

Volatility, in some form, is certainly one of the culprits, but then so is oil "mist" that gets through the PCV system, which isn't affected by volatility and instead the focus here would be on the oil's propensity to form deposits.

Would love to hear if a lower SAPs C3 (referenced Quartz Ineo mc3 5W30 above) has advantage in this aspect over A3B4 oils?
Note:Both are subject to the same engine test specifications in High Temperature Deposits.

According to some tests they do. Now, the question is how much sulfur is in gas in Malaysia and what is fuel dilution in Malaysia? I do not know what kind of burn DI engines have in Malaysia, so all that influences dilution, deposits etc.
I used twice Low-SAPS oils (M1 5W30 ESP). It is great oil. Very good cold start, on pat with 0W40 M1 (which is not concern for you). However, due to dilution in the U.S. and high sulfur content, TBN (which starts very low) was depleted to below 2 after 3K.
On other hand, I used M1 0W40 numerous times, as well as Castrol 0W30 and now Castrol 0W40, and I never had any issues. Engine at 92,000 miles works as new, pulls as new, gets great MPG, can outpace easily cars that are have "sprot" name on like 20 places on their body etc.
So if you are not sure what gas you have, I would stick to M1 0W40 if you prefer that. You cannot make mistake.

In Malaysia the RON 95 is 500 ppm Euro II.However,RON 97 is 50 ppm Euro IV from Sept'15 onwards.

Singapore's gasolines are mainly Euro IV 50 ppm , not sure about Euro V in Singapore though.

More of GDI's here from VW, Audi,Ford 1.0L,Hyundai i40 2.0L, Mazdas were seen since around

2012/13.Probably 5 % of new gasoline car sales.Fuel dilution ? .... not so sure about it as

UOA's are not trendy here.

In terms of preventing/reducing excessive intake deposits in GDI's ,what OCI's would you

'predict' for a Euro C3 of TBN 7.5 (against Euro A3B4 TBN 11.x) engine oils with 500 ppm RON 95

and 50 ppm RON 97 respectively , considering our ambients of 24 - 35 C ?

Quote:
In Malaysia the RON 95 is 500 ppm Euro II.However,RON 97 is 50 ppm Euro IV from Sept'15 onwards.

Singapore's gasolines are mainly Euro IV 50 ppm , not sure about Euro V in Singapore though.

More of GDI's here from VW, Audi,Ford 1.0L,Hyundai i40 2.0L, Mazdas were seen since around

2012/13.Probably 5 % of new gasoline car sales.Fuel dilution ? .... not so sure about it as

UOA's are not trendy here.

In terms of preventing/reducing excessive intake deposits in GDI's ,what OCI's would you

'predict' for a Euro C3 of TBN 7.5 (against Euro A3B4 TBN 11.x) engine oils with 500 ppm RON 95

and 50 ppm RON 97 respectively , considering our ambients of 24 - 35 C ?

I would go with VW 502.00 either M1 0W40 or Castrol 0W40.
If you really want to use VW 505.01: ANYTHING that also meets MB 229.51 (Castrol, Mobil1, Motul, Total, Pentosin etc). Considering summers there, stick to W40 oils.

doesn't matter what the kinematic viscosity is as long as the oil is on the 229.51 approval list.

In fact, lower KV oils are less likely to shear and are formulated with heavier basestocks.

Gulf Formula GMX 5w-30 got my attention (full saps though, 229.5 list) with low KV and 3.5+ cP HTHSv

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
OVERK1LL - Thanks for your meaningful input in this Thread

You are quite welcome Doug, I've learned a heck of a lot of it from you over the years so it is quite fitting that you've chosen to pop-in
smile.gif

Your extensive posting on the topics of UOA's and normalicy has been invaluable
cheers3.gif

Yep.

Overkill is who clued me in that wear cannot be measured via a used oil analysis with any degree of certainty,and he told me to look at Dougs posts so went back a decade or so and really opened my eyes.

Back to the topic at hand dollar for dollar m1 0w-40 is tough to beat. You can spend more money and only get a product that will be marginally better if at all.
Another quality product in this category is the castrol 0w-40. I'd use whichever can be had cheaper however if Mobil is what makes you happy it's a great product that is easy to source and isn't too costly.

Mobil1 usually is the most expensive oil on the shelves in Europe though, Castrol is about the same but was traditionally cheaper.
Shell usually i a bit cheaper, Valvoline not universally available (I get 45% trade discount on Valvoline making it very competitive).

Redline and Amsoil are pretty much unobtainable, but will be dearer if you find them (online).

Since Mobil1 is expensive here (80 euro for 5 litres, sometimes for 4 litres) it should be the very best, not just tough to beat.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Mobil1 usually is the most expensive oil on the shelves in Europe though, Castrol is about the same but was traditionally cheaper.
Shell usually i a bit cheaper, Valvoline not universally available (I get 45% trade discount on Valvoline making it very competitive).

Redline and Amsoil are pretty much unobtainable, but will be dearer if you find them (online).

Since Mobil1 is expensive here (80 euro for 5 litres, sometimes for 4 litres) it should be the very best, not just tough to beat.

M1 0w40 is about €50 for 5L jug, cheaper, but still not a good buy. Valvoline Synpower 5w40 is currently my favourite, €38 for 5L jug!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back