Ashland to split

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Interesting, thank you for the link.

#3 in motor oil sales! That's pretty good, I'm guessing Mobil 1 and Sopus are the 1&2 spots?

I think you meant Exxon/Mobil, not just the brand Mobil 1.

Good? #3 like FCA is #3 to Ford and GM. That is, way, way back in third place. Not being an oil company makes it hard to hang with the big boys.

Originally Posted By: HangFire

#3 in motor oil sales! That's pretty good, I'm guessing Mobil 1 and Sopus are the 1&2 spots?

Good? #3 like FCA is #3 to Ford and GM. That is, way, way back in third place. Not being an oil company makes it hard to hang with the big boys.

Actually Valvoline is the #3 brand of passenger car motor oil in the U.S. just as the article stated. Pennzoil and Quaker State are number 1 & 2 respectively.

Originally Posted By: 77GrandPrix

Actually Valvoline is the #3 brand of passenger car motor oil in the U.S. just as the article stated. Pennzoil and Quaker State are number 1 & 2 respectively.
interesting as those brands dont sell well here. people are still thinking 70's sludge. when I see people buying oil I see Castrol first,valvoline 2nd and Mobil-1 3rd here.

They can also optimize their response to the ever growing reach of government regulations and controls to minimize and isolate the expenses and better manage issues of marketing and investor relations. In reality this split has less to do with the products as products and more to do with the politics and all the other complexities of today's business world.

This makes one wonder if they'll call Norm back from retirement. And Norm, if you're reading this.....run and hide. You've earned some piece and quiet.

Originally Posted By: Chris142

interesting as those brands dont sell well here. people are still thinking 70's sludge. when I see people buying oil I see Castrol first,valvoline 2nd and Mobil-1 3rd here.

Very similar where I live. Castrol 1st, Pennzoil and Valvoline tied for 2nd. Quaker State not too popular here.

Looks like Ashland is getting out of the petroleum business!

First they joint ventured and then sold their pipelines to Marathon, now they are divesting themselves of the motor oil market.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
They can also optimize their response to the ever growing reach of government regulations and controls to minimize and isolate the expenses and better manage issues of marketing.......

I agree, a stock split on steroids.
banana2.gif
It looks like a good and smart split. I do wonder which of the two is considered higher risk financially in the mid to far term. That could be another contributing reason for the split and one, for obvious reasons, they would not want to talk about in their briefing. Also the possibility of structuring one or both for future sale crosses my mind. Just passing thoughts. Wish you'd bought in 2009? Wowsers.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Looks like Ashland is getting out of the petroleum business!

First they joint ventured and then sold their pipelines to Marathon, now they are divesting themselves of the motor oil market.

Ashland sold ALL their refineries as well as pipelines, terminals, barges, etc. to Marathon on June 30, 2005, exiting the petroleum refining business 10 years ago.

Ashland once had 9 refineries in the US, it was down to 3 when the joint venture with Marathon was formed in 1998; Catlettsburg, KY, Canton, OH, and St. Paul Park, MN. I worked at the Canton refinery from early 2001 to just before the final buyout by Marathon in 2005, when we transferred to the Garyville, LA refinery.

The St. Paul Park refinery is now owned by Northern Tier Energy.

Originally Posted By: fscarano
What's wrong with Quaker State oil's?
nothing.its a great oil. I cant remember the last time i saw a person walking out on walmart or autozone with some though

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: fscarano
What's wrong with Quaker State oil's?
nothing.its a great oil. I cant remember the last time i saw a person walking out on walmart or autozone with some though

I recently bought QSUD 0w20 at WalMart, tempted by the recent $7 rebate (which I received today)..

For the last few years I've been using M-1 0w20. I currently have about 950 miles on the QSUD, and am very impressed on how quiet and smooth my Focus' engine runs, compared to the M-1.

QSUD might be my next "go to" motor oil. My planned OCI will be between 7.5 to 8K.

That is because people take their cars into these quick lube shops and from what I see mostly use Pennz and Quaker State. If you wanted to use M1 you would have to go to a Mobil oil shop

I doubt if an independent Valvoline will last very long. Shell are probably right now doing the numbers as to whether it's worth their while to buy the Valvoline volumes.

Originally Posted By: 285south

That is because people take their cars into these quick lube shops and from what I see mostly use Pennz and Quaker State. If you wanted to use M1 you would have to go to a Mobil oil shop

There are Valvoline Instant Oil Change Centers too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back