Birds and Bats killed by Wind Energy Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
Quote:
Of course, BP was fined $100 million dollars. Additionally, in 2009 Exxon Mobil paid $600,000 for killing 85 birds, and in 2013 Duke Energy paid $1 Million for killing 14 Eagles and 149 other birds.

Isn’t it odd that despite so many bird and bat deaths coming from wind and solar industrial plants, few have been fined for violating the law while oil and electric generation companies have paid heavily for such violations?

Bird and Bat Kills

Man, those are some dumb birds and bats! I mean, bats use sonar and are experts at avoiding things and birds can't see?
confused2.gif

Just imagine how much power could be generated if they turned the speed on their wind turbines up to Puree, instead of just Chop!

Originally Posted By: shrooms
Man, those are some dumb birds and bats! I mean, bats use sonar and are experts at avoiding things and birds can't see?
confused2.gif

They may be able to see a wind turbine but at Ivanpah they can't see the directed sunlight. It fries them in midair.

It is also badly under its predicted production levels...

Wind and solar is not established industry and needs a pass.

This "article" is propaganda from a pro big oil/global warming is a joke lobbyist group. Poorly written which makes it look questionable.

Better to chop. After all, according to experts, carrion is an important food source for carnivores and omnivores in most ecosystems.

And DDT killed how many eagles?

Pollution from coal plants killed how many humans?

There are all kinds of problems with power generation and distribution. "...and PacifiCorp, which operates coal plants, paid more than $10.5 million for electrocuting 232 eagles that landed on power lines at its substations." PacifiCorp also operates hydro dams and gas turbines and buys a lot of Federal hydropower, but OMG!!! we're persecuting coal producers/users!

"The Institute for Energy Research (IER) is a not-for-profit organization that conducts intensive research and analysis on the functions, operations, and government regulation of global energy markets. IER maintains that freely-functioning energy markets provide the most efficient and effective solutions to today’s global energy and environmental challenges and, as such, are critical to the well-being of individuals and society."

By freely functioning they mean free to do as they please which is extract as much wealth as possible. Full Stop.

Originally Posted By: shrooms
confused2.gif

Birds and bats probably don't train for American Gladiator. Their demise comes literally out the blue.

I am sure I read that the reason the animals get confused is something to do with the sound coming from the rotor blades which effectively blinds the bats and confuses the birds
I don't know if it's a plausible explanation.

With a wind turbine spinning 30-60rpm those blade tips must be doing hundreds of MPH. The birds/bats don't even see them coming.

The Green Eco Nazis are so myopic in their rabid egalitarian beliefs many don't see their movement is being used by a few to attack the very freedoms that brought the world out of the dark ages.

So when crushing destructive regulation starts to impact your livelihoods maybe the thought that some big corporation is being inconvenienced will help keep you warm at night. Your guilt and hatreds will be your undoing.

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
And DDT killed how many eagles?

Do you know saving thousands Bald Eagles by banning production/sale/use of DDT worldwide, this ban causes millions African died of malaria disease ?

It is okay to completely ban DDT in America, we can use other methods(expensive) to control mosquito, but for poor countries in Africa DDT was the best they can afford to reducing deaths by malaria causes by mosquito.

If you do some research about DDT, you will find that we pressured UN Health Organization to ban DDT back in the '70, even someone did warn that the effect of the ban will cause millions to die of malaria in Africa. We ignored it because we think that saving 1 bald eagle is worth more than the life of thousands poor African.

Every time I saw someone mention about DDT I felt so sad. Exchanging 1 bald eagle for thousands life is not what a human being should do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back