All thoughts for log splitter oil welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: zeng
Yes, the temperatures were in relation to a baseline of minimum 10 cSt as recommended by some Asian gear pumps , not sure if Rexroth is inclusive.
blush.gif

Optimum viscosity would be in the range of 13-26 or thereabouts.
One of the big boys in the US is the ex Haldex-Barnes, now Concentric; they give 10 cSt as their minimum. Rexroth concurs. If it were my equipment, I'd recommend 16-32 as the "optimum" range, AT OPERATING TEMPERATURE. Eaton says 6 minimum, 10-43 optimum, so there is a big player allowing it thinner than I like. Parker recommends 16-200 ...

Volumetric efficiency is lower with thinner fluids. Friction is higher with heavier fluids. I'd expect greater wear with thinner fluids, but cannot support that with references.

One application with which I have too much experience operates ATF at about 300F with vane pumps at pressures around 1500 psi. Pump life is miserable, but that's the penalty paid to do what is required.

There is no free lunch.

George Bynum said:
One of the big boys in the US is the ex Haldex-Barnes, now Concentric; they give 10 cSt as their minimum. Rexroth concurs. If it were my equipment, I'd recommend 16-32 as the "optimum" range, AT OPERATING TEMPERATURE. Eaton says minimum 6, 10-43 optimum, so there is a big player allowing it thinner than I like. Parker recommends 16-200 ...
Thanks for being very factual, George.

From the specs data above, my approach in handling an Eaton would be:

a)Ignore Eaton specs of minimum 6, and adopt 10 cSt or higher as spec by other reputable vane/gear/piston pump manufacturer. I did come across one manufacturer that spec'ed minimum 13 cSt.

b)On optimum viscosity, I would adopt 16 - 43 cSt range , ignoring 10 from Eaton and 32 from Barnes.

Volumetric efficiency is lower with thinner fluids. Friction is higher with heavier fluids. I'd expect greater wear with thinner fluids, but cannot support that with references.
From the perspective of mechanical/hydraulic equipment operations, maintenance and repair, equipment durability and availability is my primary concern.I would go all out to select thicker oil for higher operating viscosity ..... with higher margin of safety against wear due to insufficient operating viscosity. Equipments don't fail due to marginally one grade thicker oils, instead it provides durability.

One application with which I have too much experience operates ATF at about 300F with vane pumps at pressures around 1500 psi. Pump life is miserable, but that's the penalty paid to do what is required.
This ATF's operating viscosity would be around 3.5-4 , which I'm totally uncomfortable in its durability. 7-10 cSt would be my target.
In this case, I would adopt ATF with very high KV100, and add an oil cooler if need be.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
bubbatime said:
Here is the manual for your equipment:
http://dirtyhandtools.com/Log Splitter Op Man.pdf

Page 23 of the manual recommends AW32 or AW46 Hydraulic fluid. Capacity is listed at 4 gallons. I would be tempted to run the AW46 myself.

From the manual:

Please add approximately 4 gallons of hydraulic fluid. The remaining hydraulic fluid will be added after the cylinder is cycled. AW32 or AW46 hydraulic oil is recommended. Automatic transmission fluid can be substituted instead of hydraulic oil when temperatures are below 32°F. Use only clean oil and take care to prevent dirt from entering the hydraulic reservoir.

I will be splitting below 32F. Can I add ATF to AW32 that is already in the system or do I need to do a complete drain?

For a typical hydraulic AW 32 of KV@40*C of 32 cSt and KV@100*C of 5.3 cSt ,it's viscosity at 14*F would be 800ish cSt , well within operating range of a typical hydraulic pump.

Should you be required to operate well below 14*F , you may 'dilute' the AW32 with say, another ATF. The caveat being, you got to make sure the KV@40*C of ATF MUST be below 32 cSt.

No, you don't need to do a complete drain if you so wish.
blush.gif

Last edited:
Just doing some research after finally ordering my own splitter. I went with an Iron & Oak 26 ton splitter with a Honda GX engine from WoodsplitterDirect.com. I have a friend that has one I could borrow fairly easily, but it's still a bit of a to-do. Plus he bought his Iron & Oak splitter used from a rental outfit and there are occasional issues with leaks and such after hard use. I just don't like to see a leak that could be imagined from my use.

Anyhow, I see some use the ATF Dextron III fluid with the I&O splitters, instead of Hyd oil. I'm just doing the research, plan to use the splitter from cool to hot temps, likely not under 30 degrees. Normally I would used Hyd fluid, and most likely will with the splitter.

Since it will be there a long time, I want to go with quality fluid. That link above may be a good option.

I kinda split the baby with my new Iron & Oak log splitter. They had Hyd oil on sale at the local Farm & Fleet. It takes 9.5 gallons so I put in 5 gallons of 32 AW Hyd fluid then 4.5 gallons of AW 46, the same brand and all.

Today it is 10 degrees out. I'm accumulating wood but saving my splitting for just a bit warmer weather. So far two big loads of oak with more in the way.
smile.gif

At 30*F and above, you could've blended the Schaeffer oils in the ratio of 0% AW 32 to 100% of AW 46 (or 10 to 90%) for maximum protection....
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
IMHO, this one of the best Log Splitter Hydraulic oils on the market in ISO 46:

http://www.schaefferoil.com/documents/130-254-td.pdf

In something like an excavator though, you'd want a much higher viscosity index from what I've read. Like near 200 as it saves time and fuel. Why not run something like that in a splitter?
Just initial cost? I guess $250 fluid in to a $1500 splitter is a bit silly, but this is BITOG afterall.
Usually when we've run a splitter the goal is not to have the cylinder stop, so we have atleast 2 people on it.

Just an update, the Iron & Oak 26 ton splitter is working superbly, no leaks and it goes through most anything.

I've been doing some brush burning and stacking firewood so as to save some splitting for when the older Son comes home.

I just purchased a Dirty Hand 28 ton splitter and the decal says 50 degrees F and above to use AW-64. Here in Southern California our days are 99% of the time well above 50 degrees so I'll follow their recommendayion and use AW-64.

Here's hoping DHT knows best.

Last edited:
I think it's quite appropriate to take average, local temp during expected use into account when choosing an oil. That is especially true when the manual has a range for warmer or cooler temps, with oil choice.

It's like the manual that goes over maintenance on a lawn mower engine. They may have cooler temps in there, but how often does anyone mow at 30 degrees F??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back