What Linux Distros do you use

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just for fun so try not to turn it into a flame war.

For those who use Linux on a regular basis I am just running a little poll.

1. What distro do you use for your main computer?

2. What desktop environment do you prefer?

3. If you distro hop, what other distros have you installed in the past?

4. What was your gateway distro?

Here are my answers;

1. Manjaro 15.09 and Linux Mint 17.2

2. KDE Plasma 5 is quickly becoming my favorite (and I never liked KDE 4).

3. Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Fedora, OpenSUSE, Elementary, Antergos, Peppermint OS, LMDE, KaOS, Bohdi, PCLinuxOS, Mandriva, and probably a few more that I can't remember.

4. Ubuntu 5.04 was the first I tried, Ubuntu 7.04 is the first I used on a regular basis.

Currently Mint 17.2 with Mate (dual boot with win10). I'm a former IT Tech (end user stuff) so have a few desktop machines and have used several distros over the years. Actually I have a couple machines I install quite a few of the distros when they are released. Seem to stay away from Ubuntu, but have used it in the past. Lubuntu mostly due to older hardware. Love playing with various Linux distros just for grins really.

Rick

I use ubuntu(no gui) mainly for servers(db2, websphere, node js/mongo db, LAMP) running in VirtualBox on top of Win7 Pro.

I am a full stack engineer (web application and related backends).

I am too chicken to replace the underyling OS Win7 with something else as this laptop is my paycheck as remote contractor. (Thinkpad W530 with 32GB ram, 128 GB SSD/1TB HDD, i7 processor)

Our company uses Google applications and they are clunky it seems in Chrome/Linux especially video conferencing(hangouts) trying to get video working right or microphone etc.

xubuntu, xfce exclusively.

I used to use Mint but it is too out of date for my likes. Xubuntu is more cutting edge as far as updates.

Sadly, the most common is also the most expensive, Apple/Mac OSX
banana2.gif
Trolling.gif

1. Fedora for me, since it came out.

2. Definitely prefer Fedora. I want a desktop that works with a minimum of fuss and fiddling, and given my long-term background with Red Hat stuff, I have zero interest in trying lots of different distros just to play with them.

3. Slackware, many different early Red Hat versions, SUSE.

4. I'm not sure what you mean by "gateway distro"

I have about 20 years working with various commercial and free unix versions.

A: Linux Mint

A: Mate

A: I don't really distro hop, but I have used Ubuntu, Zorin, Puppy, Lubuntu, and Xubuntu.

A: I first played with Zorin off of a live DVD, but the first one for me to install and use for a while was Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

1. Ubuntu
2. Old school gnome, then KDE, then Gnome, then Ubuntu's native desktop...
3. Depends on application. Used Fedora, CentOS, RHE, Mint, Mandrake, Debian, FreeBSD (I know, not linux, but whatev).
4. Gateway as in my first time? Or as in network gateway? First time, RedHat Linux 3. Current gateway duties handled by OpenWRT.

Need to get off this Windows workstation my job forced me on... and get back to my roots
grin.gif

1. Mint 17.2 on my work desktop, in use every day for about 10 hours.

2. Xfce, it's the only one that has really struck a cord with me.

3. Installed: Manjaro, Elementary, Fedora, OpenSUSE, Salix. I have probably tried 30 distros on live USB.

4. 1st I ever tried on live CD was DSL. OpenSUSE was the first I installed, never used it for more than playing solitaire. Elementary OS was the first I installed that stuck, but I grew tired and bored of it quickly. I probably like Manjaro the best, but I'm not thrilled by the rolling release model, hence Mint is what I actually use.

Ubuntu: I take care of about a dozen desktops for friends, family and neighbours and all but two use Ubuntu 14.04. The other two use Mint 17.2 w/ MATE due to their systems being old. It's important to me to use the same thing I wish to support for them. Plus, I get the feeling that one day I'll be using an Ubuntu phone and tablet!

I use Unity for the reasons above; but have deeply loved Gnome 2.x/ MATE and have come to like where Gnome 3 is. I have run Arch and Debian systems with minimal GUI setups using no display manager, ~/.gtkrc scripts and Openbox.

Debian, Arch, Fedora. I have managed to get systems set up with a few flavours of BSD, but then realized I had nothing to actually do with those systems.

I routinely run anything that seems remotely interesting on Distrowatch.com in a Virtualbox setup for an evening to test.

Knoppix was a live CD I used first several years ago, then switched to Ubuntu for 5.04.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer

1. Ubuntu 14.04

2. Unity

3. I don't distro hop, but I have installed Mint, Mandrake, and Red Hat.

4. The first distro I ever installed was Mandrake

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer

1) Ubuntu for my home PC, my wife's laptop and for the shop PC.

2) Unity, but am open to others

3) Have played with Mint, Lubuntu and Xubuntu.

4) Mint was what brought me to where I am today, and it is because of enthusiastic and helpful members here that I had the courage to break away from Windozz XP. At first, it was a fleeting afair. I tried Mint because it was supposed to be quite close to XP but it was glitchy as a live CD and eventually as a dual boot- I think it was from a bad i-net connection and a poor quality copy So I gave up on it. Then came the dreadful announcement- Massivesoft was killing XP! I knew I didn't want to continue down the Massivesoft or closed source path- I had already made it a point to install basically only freeware, so moving to a Linux distro seemed natural. Well, I downloaded a fresh copy of Mint MATE, which ran better on my (at the time) updated confuser. After playing around with a few others, I settled with 'Buntu- mostly because it works, is simple and I was tired of messing around distro hopping. By then my wife had a Win 8 laptop and took an interest in 'Buntu for the same reasons as me... Open source, secure, low/no maintenance (A/V, spyware, malware, adware, bloatware, blah blah...) In short- no drama... Unless you do something dumb like delete a video driver and lose your monitor... WHOOPS! Thanks again Garak!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back