our garage tug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sweet. 12:1 rear end?
laugh.gif

The Leaning Tower of Power! High torque, low rpm. With the right gearing (you have it) it can move a mountain. I used one very similar to pull the air ambulance out of the hangar.

Last edited:
It reminds me of a cartoon train but I shall call him "Herbie". It is a riot to drive and you can just about turn a circle in it's tracks.
We put an electric fuel pump down under the tank. It didn't want to stay running. I rebuilt the carb, have not done that in many years! Changed the oil and filter with our Mobil fleet 15w40 and that's about it.

Slant 6 is so durable it can run 35? years with no air filter!

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Pretty sweet. 12:1 rear end?
laugh.gif

The CJ-10 tugs used a regular geared rear end (something like 3.73, 4.10) and had a transfer case. From the factory, the transfer case was put in 4LO and the lever removed ... and it never had a front axle. My guess is something similar here.

Air filter just wasn't put back on yet. No transfer case just a trans with a short tailshaft and a short drive shaft. I think it is a chrysler trans but didn't look close yet. It only has rear brakes and I don't know what rear end. I will have to lift it up sometime and investigate.

Haven't seen too many enclosed ones, but yeah super low rear end and super low gears. You should see how they load em up for international flights, some 13 baggage carts long

Have allways wanted a cj10, someone in the twin cities turned one into his daily driver.

Originally Posted By: hansj3
Haven't seen too many enclosed ones, but yeah super low rear end and super low gears. You should see how they load em up for international flights, some 13 baggage carts long

Have allways wanted a cj10, someone in the twin cities turned one into his daily driver.

Not only enclosed but heated . That box in front of passenger seat is a heater and tubes run up for defroster.

Our family member had a slant six in a Dodge Dart wagon, ran it for 200,000 miles in the 60's and sold it. Two of my cousins had Valiants with it too, everyone said it was one of the best engines they'd ever had and the transmissions behind them held up too. Just great engines.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
It probably towed an F-4 Phantom 40 years ago...

As well as P-3's, H-3's, A-3'S,A-6's etc,etc. most Naval Air Stations had a couple working the flight line
34.gif

You got ripped off. They kept three wire butt splices from the box of 100 they applied to this thing.
smile.gif

Is that what's left of the Lean Burn computer on the firewall?

That a Carter carb if I remember?

Been a while, but I've tinkered with and moved a few airplanes with those, never an enclosed one though.

Good luck! I always like to see an old piece of machinery with a lot of life left in it still being put to good use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back