Twin Turbos, a Blower, and Nitrous

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's never been raced. It's never made a single pass down the drag strip.

Owner has no idea what the horsepower rating is.

Originally Posted By: Neely97
A monument to stupidity .

Exactly. And the thing is this. For the amount of money he has pumped into that total abortion, he could have built a practical, beautiful, powerful, dependable, DRIVABLE, street car.

Why did he leave out the dilithium crystals?

But anyway, an engine with both a supercharger and turbocharger won't necessarily make any more power than an engine with turbo's alone. When a single stage turbo can boost to ~60psi, there is no need to waste power driving a Roots blower. What a Roots blower can do in such a system is to reduce turbo lag, then it should be clutched off and bypassed after the turbo has lit.

The nitrous would be useful for adding even more power by increasing the proportion of Oxygen in the intake charge.

If he really wanted to know what it would make, it only costs ~$100 to run it on a chassis dyno. My guess is he built it and tried it, but it didn't work.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

But anyway, an engine with both a supercharger and turbocharger won't necessarily make any more power than an engine with turbo's alone. When a single stage turbo can boost to ~60psi, there is no need to waste power driving a Roots blower. What a Roots blower can do in such a system is to reduce turbo lag, then it should be clutched off and bypassed after the turbo has lit.

The nitrous would be useful for adding even more power by increasing the proportion of Oxygen in the intake charge.

If he really wanted to know what it would make, it only costs ~$100 to run it on a chassis dyno. My guess is he built it and tried it, but it didn't work.
There is cars built with both blower and turbo. Its called compound boost. The supercharger basically gets the car moving and spools the turbo(s) then it switches over to turbo boost. I am not sure exactly how it works.

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Originally Posted By: A_Harman

There is cars built with both blower and turbo. Its called compound boost. The supercharger basically gets the car moving and spools the turbo(s) then it switches over to turbo boost. I am not sure exactly how it works.

Yes, the VW 1.4 TSI had an Eaton supercharger and a turbocharger on it. I worked at Eaton automotive at the time the system was developed, and knew some of the engineers that worked on it. It used a small Eaton supercharger that had 3:1 step-up gears in the front cover, so it would boost the engine HARD from 1000 rpm up to 3500 rpm, at which point, a clutch driving the blower was disengaged, and the turbocharger took over boosting.

When the turbo spools up and starts moving more air than the roots blower, it "unloads" the blower (pushes air through the rotors so they're not actually doing as much work). No need to get fancy with de-coupling the blower or anything, it happens naturally. Detroit Diesel built millions of 2-stroke diesels with turbos blowing into the blowers, and they work essentially the same way (though the 2-stroke requires the blower to get itself running at all). Once the turbo is spooled up, the blower draws less and less power.

That said- this "car" is just to be ridiculous- I'm sure a stock Tesla or Hellcat could be down the track and back down the return road while that thing is still flinging parts and fluids everywhere. Reminds me of this tower of silly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m48vyc5beNg

No matter what you might think the execution and craftsmanship are first class.

Put a street motor and a hood on that car with some street driving running gear and you'd have one nice ride.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

When the turbo spools up and starts moving more air than the roots blower, it "unloads" the blower (pushes air through the rotors so they're not actually doing as much work). No need to get fancy with de-coupling the blower or anything, it happens naturally. Detroit Diesel built millions of 2-stroke diesels with turbos blowing into the blowers, and they work essentially the same way (though the 2-stroke requires the blower to get itself running at all). Once the turbo is spooled up, the blower draws less and less power.

That said- this "car" is just to be ridiculous- I'm sure a stock Tesla or Hellcat could be down the track and back down the return road while that thing is still flinging parts and fluids everywhere. Reminds me of this tower of silly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m48vyc5beNg

But when Detroit Diesel was trying to improve the fuel economy of its 2-stroke diesels in the early 80's, they put a bypass blower into production on the Silver 92's.

Clutches on Eaton superchargers was not a rare thing. MB had one on their supercharged 2.3L (M271) even before the VW TSI came out. Clutching off the rotors saves a couple of horsepower, which makes a significant contribution to fuel economy on the gov drive cycle. It's not so much the effect on maximum power, it's the effect on EPA ratings.

One of my former efficiency engineers had a Godzilla Skyline with turbo and eaton...in parallel, one for low end and one for top.

In series is silly, but not as silly as double stacked 8-71s which is considered tough down here ATM.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
One of my former efficiency engineers had a Godzilla Skyline with turbo and eaton...in parallel, one for low end and one for top.

This was the same type of set up (I doubt they used an Eaton brand blower) that the Lancia Delta S4 Group B rally car used.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: Shannow

This was the same type of set up (I doubt they used an Eaton brand blower) that the Lancia Delta S4 Group B rally car used.
wink.gif

Yep, that's my memory too
Lancia played Comprex wave as well at one stage didn't they ?

Pretty sure that Stuart's RB30(?) made 500KW or something mad like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back