How do your leather seats look?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2012 Honda Accord EX-L, it has leather seats. I am noticing new wrinkles appear and I have only had it for 2 months. I use leather cleaner and conditioner regularly. Is it normal for leather to crease and wrinkle like this so soon? Is there anything to do to combat this? Lastly, how do your leather seats look. Thanks!

Our elantra looks good but i think its a coated leather. ( looks good except for the scratch on the seat from a screwdriver in my back pocket!) My wife wants her seat fixed!

The VW has fake leather, they're ok but are definitely showing their age, has a small hole in the drivers seat on the edge.

The 2002 Trailblazer LTZ might have real leather, they're almost 14 years old and have been in the Phoenix sun for half their life and the past 6 1/2 years my grandmother has owned the car it's had leather conditioner on them maybe 3 times. Unknown prior, her sister owned the car from new to 75k miles. They look fantastic. Have worn like iron.

The Trans Am and Grand Prix still look good. They have some creases and wrinkles, but nothing major.
What do you think is bad?
Here is the Grand Prix 11 years old 72,000 miles. I have owned the car since 55,000 miles. I only use Pledge.

IMG_3802.jpg

IMG_3803.jpg

Rear seat 2 kids.
smile.gif

IMG_3804.jpg

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Our elantra looks good but i think its a coated leather. ( looks good except for the scratch on the seat from a screwdriver in my back pocket!) My wife wants her seat fixed!

Yeah, my understanding is most leathers today have a vinyl type coating on them. Not speaking of leatherette, but actual leather coated in vinyl. This is the type of leather my Accord has. Is there special care for this? Also, are any of your leather seats wrinkling and creasing?

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
This thread is why I won't buy a vehicle with leather seats.

I wish all cars were available with vinyl leatherette.

Cloth has its issues and leather is worse because it wrinkles and you have to be pretty worried about it...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ls1mike
The Trans Am and Grand Prix still look good. They have some creases and wrinkles, but nothing major.
What do you think is bad?
Here is the Grand Prix 11 years old 72,000 miles. I have owned the car since 55,000 miles. I only use Pledge.

IMG_3802.jpg

IMG_3803.jpg

Rear seat 2 kids.
smile.gif

IMG_3804.jpg

This is the type of wear I am talking about. Mine has these type of creases (though not as severe), but they are growing in size and number. What is the best coarse of action in preventing them and keeping the wrinkles from cracking and splitting. I use Lexol, but just read that actual leather conditioner doesn't do any good for coated leathers.

I don't know, your car is three, mine is 11? Not sure you can with any leather.

Truck has vinyl they look new. The Grand Prix is real leather seating surfaces the rest is leatherette

Leather in most modern cars is junk. An expensive car is no guarantee of good leather.

I had a 356 Porsche that had the interior done by a local upholstery shop done with leather seats and there was a world of difference between that and the leather on modern cars I see for which the owners pay a pretty premium.

The best leather I've seen since then was on a 96 Volvo 850 Turbo wagon that I purchased new.

A neighbor's leather seats in his new Ford Explorer are a joke.

My conclusion. Cloth is better.

Connolly Hide Care is what I've always used. It's sometimes called Jaguar Hide Food, but it was made by Connolly and the correct name is Hide Care. I've always got mine from the Jaguar dealer, but you could probably get it at a Rolls or Bentley dealer, or mail order it, now that it's on the market again.

The Connolly hides in my Xj12 look terrific. The leather in the Xj8 looks good, but not as good as the Connolly hides in the older car. The leather in the Torrent GXP looks good for a cheap car, and has brushed off the insults of child and dogs. The leather in the Solstice still looks like new, but its hardly been driven. It's a soft leather, comfortable, like in the Torrent. The leather in my G8 is wearing well, but it's a hard leather that has always looked cheap to me - not nearly as nice as the terrific pigskin style leather my GTO had.

There is another product called Gliptone, but I've not used it.

I like to take a ride naked about once a month. I feel the natural oils from my bare skin are the best treatment for leather seats.

I made that up. As mentioned it all depends on the quality of the leather and craftsmanship. No product is going to prevent the wrinkling and creasing.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Leather in most modern cars is junk. An expensive car is no guarantee of good leather.

I had a 356 Porsche that had the interior done by a local upholstery shop done with leather seats and there was a world of difference between that and the leather on modern cars I see for which the owners pay a pretty premium.

Where is this shop ? Do you remember the name of the shop ?

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I have a 2012 Honda Accord EX-L, it has leather seats. I am noticing new wrinkles appear and I have only had it for 2 months. I use leather cleaner and conditioner regularly. Is it normal for leather to crease and wrinkle like this so soon? Is there anything to do to combat this? Lastly, how do your leather seats look. Thanks!

Be careful overmaintaining.

I got some new boots and the salesman said over oiling them may make them too soft. So, I guess we wait an see first.

Most brands nowadays use leatherette which is synthethic or fake leather (Not sure how you call them) and they tend get wrinkles pretty fast and wear down into an ugly mess. Both my Toyota and Audi have leatherette and the Toyota which is babied already started developing wrinkles and the Audi is full of them where the leather folds a bit when seating.

However there are some brands that still offer true leather in their cars, like BMW and i can say that those seats hold up incredibly well with no maintenance, with proper care you can have it looking like new even after 10 years. I've owned multiple BMW's with real leather and in my experience those seats can take some real abuse with almost no wear at all.
So in my opinion, if you can get real leather then you should not worry about it wearing down or getting ugly fast but if its leatherette then its another story.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back