Why don't more new motorcycles had LED headlight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Duc had LED beams as std equipment. A very pure white light appearing even whiter than HID's. Gets you noticed by vehicle drivers. Yet, I still see most manufacturers equipping their new models with plain old halogens. For safety's sake LED's ought to be standard equipment. Harley Davidson has the Daymaker LED headlight std on their higher end tourers, and optional as a dealer installed accessory on most other bikes in their lineup, as well as for sale as an owner installable accessory to retro-fit to older models. Kudos to the Motor Company for that.

Cost savings.

Like you said, Harley has them standard on the HIGHER end models.

It cost more to build LED lamps, than Halogen.... and it isn't about the headlights, the most seen motorcycles by my eyes are sporting halogen headlamps, and two LED bright driving lamps down on the forks front foot peg area, creating a triangle.

LED lamps usually have a SHARP cutoff.... THAT is a problem on a motorcycle, you really want a sharp cutoff at night in the twisties?

LED is considered "luxury" still, even though Toyota has tried to break this barrier.(The Corolla)

Last edited:
With the crude charging systems maybe the incandescent filament acts like a filter/ sink.

I own a bike with LED headlight. As was said it has sharp cutoff beam and how this translates to the road is not all good. vibration of the bike can be seen on other vehicles while driving. It causes a flashing effect sometimes and the color of the light makes you think cop lights ...just bad and something you must get used to.

I think traditional incandescent has a much larger filament and reflector so the beam has softer edges that hides and softens the beam and the color is not like police LED light bars.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CT8
No one watches for motorcycles. The 4 wheelers are out to get you.

Yeah, frankly I'm tired of the excessive whining by motorcyclists
about how motor vehicles have some special duty to look out for them because they CHOOSE to use a less safe transportation device when traveling on the roads. I look out for all objects on the roads equally whether peds, cars, bicycles, or motorcycles ect.

Yet you see the idiots on crotch rockets racing along at triple digits without a care in the world, as they endanger everyone around them.

just because I choose a "less safe transportation device" does not excuse the drivers who change lanes into me or turn in front of me at unsafe distances.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
just because I choose a "less safe transportation device" does not excuse the drivers who change lanes into me or turn in front of me at unsafe distances.

I'm not excusing bad driving behavior, yet at the same time you CHOOSE willingly to take that extra risk in the process, so part of the responsibility is in fact yours.

+1 It's all me me me and why should I look out for YOU.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel

I'm not excusing bad driving behavior, yet at the same time you CHOOSE willingly to take that extra risk in the process, so part of the responsibility is in fact yours.
And what, exactly, IS that "responsibility"? I wear proper gear, including helmet, my headlamp's ON, and i use my turn signals, which is more than I can say for the average halfwit in a car.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
And what, exactly, IS that "responsibility"? I wear proper gear, including helmet, my headlamp's ON, and i use my turn signals, which is more than I can say for the average halfwit in a car.

The other part of that responsibility is that you accept the extra risk of injury or death by deliberately choosing to ride a motorcycle which are far less safe than driving a car or truck.

I hate careless drivers too but YOU increase your own potential for injury and death by riding. It is a choice of any motorcyclist.

The other part of that responsibility is that you accept the extra risk of injury or death by deliberately choosing to ride a motorcycle which are far less safe than driving a car or truck.

I hate careless drivers too but YOU increase your own potential for injury and death by riding. It is a choice of any motorcyclist.

As a life-long Motorcyclist with two as you call them "crotch rockets", I have to say you are right.

Motorcycles are absolutely more dangerous than cars, and it takes far more skill to operate them competently. That's why I still strive to continually improve my riding skills. The faster I can ride on track, means that any speed I ride on public roads, is far below my and the bikes ability.

I do everything I can to improve my odds of survival, while still riding my "crotch rockets".

I ride in full roadracing leathers with quality armor, Sidi boots, Held gloves, and an Arai helmet.

From watching other riders over the years, I find it ironic that generally those with the least bike riding prowess, generally also wear the least amount of protective gear. At the same time I fully support their right to risk their life and limb by not wearing any protective gear, if they so choose.

I always assume I am invisible to other drivers, and ride accordingly. I know from experience they will look right at you, and still apparently not see you. Never ever assume that another road user sees you. ALWAYS assume they will make the dumbest move possible, and you'll never be surprised when they in fact do.

If we adopt a survivors mind set that does not excuse the rider because cagers don't
cause accidents... they only cause emergencies... it's up to the rider to avoid the
accident... every vehicle we face in the opposing lane is potentially our death...

Collisions Are Not Accidents quote DMV Motorcycle handbook...

“Accident” implies an unforeseen event that occurs without anyone’s
fault or negligence. Most often in traffic, that is not the case. In
fact, most people involved in a collision can usually claim some
responsibility for what takes place.

Blame doesn’t matter when someone is injured in a collision. There is
rarely a single cause of any collision. The ability to be aware, make
critical decisions, and carry them out separates responsible riders
from all the rest. It is up to you to keep from being the cause of, or
an unprepared participant in, any collision.

As a rider, you can’t be sure that others will see you or yield the
right of way. To reduce the chances of a collision:

Be visible. Wear proper clothing, use your headlight, and ride in
the best lane position to see and be seen.

Communicate your intentions. Use the proper signals, brake light,
and lane position.

Maintain an adequate space cushion. Allow yourself enough space
when following, being followed, lane splitting, passing, and being
passed.

Scan your path of travel. Look at least 10 to 15 seconds ahead.

Identify and separate multiple hazards.

Be prepared to act. Remain alert and know how to carry out proper collision-avoidance skills.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
And what, exactly, IS that "responsibility"? I wear proper gear, including helmet, my headlamp's ON, and i use my turn signals, which is more that I can say for the average halfwit in a car.

I hate all these careless drivers, whissing past. Automobiles are dangerous, they have an amazing amount of energy in impact, and have no sense of direction.
Now a horse and buggy, usually can't go fast enough to kill in an impact, and if you are saused horses kinda know where they are and how to get home

The point is you can die falling off of a stationary bike or in 6 inches of water, or a blowout causing a car to roll at speed.
If we all took the safest way everywhere, there wouldnt be manuals, performance tires, more than 4 cyl.etc.
Can you really say that your perticular vehicle is the absolute safest vehicle availible? Does it have the newest, most up to date safety fetures? Is your vehicle maintained up to emergency fleet standards?

Yet you see the idiots on crotch rockets racing along at triple digits without a care in the world, as they endanger everyone around them.

No matter the kind of bike...

No matter the engine size...

No matter the age / sex or nationality of the rider...

You gots Slow Movers (SM) and you gots Fast Movers (FM)... rare are the
Quick Movers (QM)

SM's are slow because they see the road go by fast as in:
YIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKES...

FM's are fast because they see the road go by slow as in:
hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

QM's like Keith Code are teachers who's influence never stops...

SM's institutionalized slowness whereas FM's practice quickness at every
turn...

Just as motorcyclist learn to ignore unsolicited advice from the non
motorcyclist... FM's learn to ignore unsolicited advice from SM's...
their advice is just a temporary appearance of superiority... SM counsel
is especially irksome if all they can do it get in the way of a FM...

SM's have no business lecturing FM's because they see no safety in
speed...

Skill to do comes from doing... a SM at a FM pace may soon consult a
guard rail...

FM's are even slow to receive advice from other FM's but quick to
receive consult from QM's (Quick Movers) their advice is heeded for
it's most needed...

Originally Posted By: KzMitch

LED headlight discussion?

BLS to the rescue...

Out on the highway... late at night...

inky blackness is stealing your sight...

you got halogen head lights and they ain't bright...

your motorcycling by pale moon light ....

I replaced my PIAA 60/55 watt Xenon gas Super White bulbs that glow in the 4200
Kelin range with Speed Metal's 25 watt Cree LED H4 with a working high
and low beam...

$69 each at Cycle Gear...
http://www.cyclegear.com/SPEEDMETAL-LED-Conversion-Kit

CreeLED%203_zpsflhnbp2f.jpg

CreeLED%202_zpstxlepmgs.jpg

CreeLED%201_zpsab6tf64x.jpg

Out back the twin tail light bulbs are replaced with dual round circuit
boards of LED... a plug and play system sourced at WSB Laguna Seca...
LEDBulbs.jpg

Adapting the LED to center inside the existing housing requires some
mild fabrication but you're good at it and you don't mind the hours of
work because it feels like therapy tricking out your baby...
LEDbrackets.jpg

Behold LED tail lights...
PersonalPlate.jpg

Hit the stop lights and now you're really shinning.. in fact the
intensity hurts the eye...
RC45LEDStopLight.JPG

Now you can look forward to piercing the darkness in style... you're
riding so bright you gotta were shades...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back