Out with the old, in with the new F250 PSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sold the motor home and Silverado, purchased a 2015 F250 SD PSD crew cab FX4, and I am officially an all Ford family, with 5 of them. Silver and 3.31 gears. Now I'm looking for that special 5th wheel to tow behind it. Other than a hitch, and a 50 gallon Transfer Flow fuel tank in the bed, I plan no other modifications.

I was planning to get a Dodge Cummins, until I test drove one and found lots of turbo lag, and arm rests to low to be comfortable for me. The ford did not have these issues and surprisingly, I thought it rode nicer than the Dodge too. I am not bashing Dodge, just saying for me, Ford was a better fit.

Congrats on the new ride! I'm sure you'll love it!

Any pictures??
smile.gif

My opinion,,, modifying a new truck is really stupid. They are reliable until they are modified. I have a 2002 7.3 and all I change is the fluids and filters.

Originally Posted By: CT8
My opinion,,, modifying a new truck is really stupid. They are reliable until they are modified. I have a 2002 7.3 and all I change is the fluids and filters.

Don't think I'd consider a hitch and larger fuel tank modifications that would hinder reliability...

To the OP, congrats and enjoy!

Congratulations! I love mine; plenty of power and decent MPG.

Obligatory questions:

1. Which oil filter?
2. Which oil?

I agree. There are a few local used 2015 Superduty's for sale with 6" lifts, 5" turbo back exhaust, programming chips, new wheels and tires. They are trying to sell them for much more than a nice new one, and with that lift they look ridiculous, and warrantee is probably voided with the other mods. There was a very prominent warning that the vehicle software would store info on mods it could see, so just taking it off does not clear you.

Originally Posted By: BTW

Don't think I'd consider a hitch and larger fuel tank modifications that would hinder reliability...

To the OP, congrats and enjoy!
Not at all. chips reprogramming, different turbos etc kind of mods.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Congratulations! I love mine; plenty of power and decent MPG.

Obligatory questions:

1. Which oil filter?
2. Which oil?

I will probably stick with Motorcraft filters and oil for now, and my Walmart sells the MC filter and MC 15/40 and 10/30 PSD oils at a reasonable price. Which weight oil I will use has not been determined yet. The manual is kind of non committal on which oil is preferred and implies you could use either (or 5/40 for severe service). Interestingly, the MC PSD oils are NOT gas engine rated at all, strictly diesel. If I switch to 5/40 it will probably be the cheapest one Walmart sells, which right now is Delo I think.

Last edited:
Nice truck. I have been a Ford guy since I bought my first new one in 66.

I also have a '15 silver with 3.31 rear end, congrats!! I am using 10w-30 Deere Plus 50 II. I have found that with all highway driving in combination with the 3.31 gearing that the IOLM stretches out the OC interval to about 10,000 mi., previous UOA's have been very good with no fuel dilution. I use MotorCraft filters, enjoy.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
I also have a '15 silver with 3.31 rear end, congrats!! I am using 10w-30 Deere Plus 50 II. I have found that with all highway driving in combination with the 3.31 gearing that the IOLM stretches out the OC interval to about 10,000 mi., previous UOA's have been very good with no fuel dilution. I use MotorCraft filters, enjoy.

Good to know on the 10w-30. What kind of mileage are you getting?

I see 18-20 mpg, including regens. This time of the year I am running about 300 mi. round trip, hauling up to 4,000 lbs. in the bed. Depending when the regen occurs in the trip it saps the mpg but comes back with time. Highway driving at 70 mph I see approx 500 mi. between regens, evidently hauling a load in the bed doesn't get egt temps high enough for a "passive regen". Where I am at here in Ohio and where I drive to is flat with the only changes in elevation are overpasses.

So far I love the truck and the power it makes and the way it handles, and a comfortable ride. I currently have just over 24,000 mi. and no complaints.

Congrats! You have anything fun you tow with it?

Doh! Just reread your first post. What fiver are you looking at?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back