TGMO 0W-20 SN, TBN/TAN, 5286 M, 85 Corolla 4A-LC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pontual
Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Originally Posted By: Pontual
Could be 43ppm of ingested Californian beach marine salt?

I thought about it myself. However, the car is parked 4.73 miles from Venice Beach; although, I go there almost every weekend. 43 ppm Na is about 135 mg in 3.9 qt of 0W-20 oil, which is contained in about 343 mg of salt, and I doubt that much salt could get into the oil from the air that easily.

Also, something needs to explain the oil thickening. Perhaps, since it's an old-engine design, it tends to thicken the oil -- I don't know.

Let's see:

5.3k miles used about 145 gallons of fuel If Iam Correct. Multiply that by 14.7 and your engine breath about 7.5 tons of midly salt air, you only need that 0,34 grams of salt has dissolved on oil, after a bunch more had past throught the intake system. I think its doable!

You are right that we get a lot of marine layer around here, especially in the areas within about five miles of the beach, where low clouds form in the morning due to evaporated water from the ocean. So, perhaps, it contributes to it.

However, the potassium is also pretty high. Na/K ratio in seawater seems to be about 20 - 30, which is a lot higher than about 7 in my UOA. Also, I have oil thickening. Let's see if the coolant tablets will stop the seeping and then what happens in the next UOA.

Fix your coolant leak Please, it will kill the engine even a small leak.
Read the whole article Please.
Acid Formation and Bearing Damage
Under normal operating conditions, ethylene glycol oxidizes to form organic acids such as glycolic acid, oxalic acid, formic acid and carbonic acid. Typically the reaction rate doubles for each 18°F (8°C) in temperature. These acids contribute to secondary and tertiary effects as further described. However, their presence alone in lubricating oil can jeopardize bearings and other frictional surfaces. The corrosive conditions can pit the clad surfaces of the lead/tin overlay of journal bearings, promote rust on steel and iron surfaces, and tarnish cupric metals of bronze and brass. One study found that even a small coolant leak in a large integral gas engine/compressor was enough to severely corrode engine steel and copper surfaces.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/193/oil-glycol

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
Report back when the engine is broken in.

LOL

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
I sold my 85 Corolla with the 4-AC engine only 4 years ago. Great car. Even Toyota themselves don't make them like that anymore.

The only problem I had was the clutch master cylinder would go out every couple of years. Must have been a poor design.

I don't think I will ever be able to break in this engine. It still performs as good as new -- no oil consumption, gas mileage similar to newer Corollas.

Mine is a 4-speed AT -- the proven Aisin-Warner A240L transmission that still runs like clockwork.

Regarding the clutch master cylinder issue, it's probably because the aftermarket rebuilt ones you were putting use low-quality parts or are rebuilt poorly. I rebuilt my brake master cylinder using an OEM kit once and it hasn't leaked a drop since. I was really impressed by the quality of the machining work on the core. It was flawless machining. Again, I am guessing in your case the mistake was to use aftermarket gaskets and seals during rebuilt. I don't think you can find any better machined parts then they did in Japan in the 1980s.

As I remember, the master cylinder went out while the car was still under warranty, which was only 1 year in those days. The second one the dealer installed probably lasted 5 years or so. But I probably replaced it at least 3 times after that, during the life of the car. It was quite an ugly beast when I sold it in 2011 to some kid.

Originally Posted By: Koz1
Fix your coolant leak Please, it will kill the engine even a small leak.
Read the whole article Please.
Acid Formation and Bearing Damage
Under normal operating conditions, ethylene glycol oxidizes to form organic acids such as glycolic acid, oxalic acid, formic acid and carbonic acid. Typically the reaction rate doubles for each 18°F (8°C) in temperature. These acids contribute to secondary and tertiary effects as further described. However, their presence alone in lubricating oil can jeopardize bearings and other frictional surfaces. The corrosive conditions can pit the clad surfaces of the lead/tin overlay of journal bearings, promote rust on steel and iron surfaces, and tarnish cupric metals of bronze and brass. One study found that even a small coolant leak in a large integral gas engine/compressor was enough to severely corrode engine steel and copper surfaces.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/193/oil-glycol

Thanks. I am hoping that the ACDelco cooling-system seal tabs have stopped the leak.

M1 0W-40 SN is in. The engine runs a lot quieter, but I guess that's what you would expect from going two grades up in viscosity, from 0W-20 to 0W-40. Initial drive was very smooth, perhaps slightly less horsepower at low throttle, smooth engine response at all times, and a lot quieter as mentioned. It will be interesting to see if the wear will be different.

1985 Toyota Corolla LE, 4A-LC engine
Previous oil & filter: 3.6 qt TGMO 0W-20 SN & Toyota 90915-YZZF2 @ 255,193.5 mi, Saturday, April 19, 2014, 5:00 pm, ~ 64 °F
New oil & filter: 3.5 qt Mobil 1 (M1) 0W-40 SN/ACEA A3/B4/MB 229.5 & Toyota 90915-YZZF2 @ 261,060.1 mi, Sunday, October 11, 2015, 6:30 pm, ~ 85 °F
OCI: 5,866.6 mi, 540 d
New Toyota 90430-12031 drain-plug gasket every time

IMAG4708.jpg

IMAG4709.jpg

IMAG4710.jpg

IMAG4712.jpg

I noticed it meets the Fiat spec, and the only product in their entire lineup that meets Chrysler's MS6395 is Mobil Super. I still find it odd their flagship products still don't meet the Chrysler spec, the so called two year testing period has to be over by now. Politics.......
21.gif

Nice choice in oil Gokhan.

Check on the bottle - this one does meet that one Chrysler spec for SRT and the Crossfire. Well, I don't blame Mobil. Three or four years from now, someone else will own Chrysler and there will be yet another spec, or Fiat will get rid of the Chrysler specs altogether.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Check on the bottle - this one does meet that one Chrysler spec for SRT and the Crossfire. Well, I don't blame Mobil. Three or four years from now, someone else will own Chrysler and there will be yet another spec, or Fiat will get rid of the Chrysler specs altogether.
wink.gif

I realize that, I guess I wasn't clear enough. Chrysler spec MS6395 encompasses a lot more of their vehicles. Mobil Super meets it, EP, Mobil 1, and AFE don't. I would have thought by now they'd come on board. You're right though in a few years God only knows who will own Chrysler.
wink.gif

Yep, and it definitely is a little odd how Mobil Super conventional will meet it (same up here with our Mobil Super conventional) but the M1 won't. I guess they couldn't be bothered.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I noticed it meets the Fiat spec, and the only product in their entire lineup that meets Chrysler's MS6395 is Mobil Super. I still find it odd their flagship products still don't meet the Chrysler spec, the so called two year testing period has to be over by now. Politics.......
21.gif

Nice choice in oil Gokhan.

Thanks, I think so and the engine seems to think so. This is probably the most premium oil this engine has ever had.

On top of that, it was $2.43 per quart at Amazon Prime with free two-day shipping after $2 online rebate and 5% cashback bonus on credit card. It's also exciting to have the mailman bring a six-pack of premium oil to your door.

I don't know why few oils satisfy Chrysler's specs. It's the same thing with Chrysler MS-12633. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40 is the only oil that satisfies it and ironically it's somewhat lower in quality than the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W-40, like the very low-end Mobil Super versus the mighty Mobil 1, although not as much pronounced quality difference.

Yep, and it definitely is a little odd how Mobil Super conventional will meet it (same up here with our Mobil Super conventional) but the M1 won't. I guess they couldn't be bothered.

I think you're right, they probably couldn't be bothered.

Does your guys' Mobil Super Synthetic down south meet the spec? We don't get the product here. I suspect Mobil would only bother if they became service fill or factory fill again.

Does your guys' Mobil Super Synthetic down south meet the spec? We don't get the product here. I suspect Mobil would only bother if they became service fill or factory fill again.

According to a Mobil rep I spoke with about a week ago, Super was the only product in their line up that meets the MS6395 spec. It is also the only product they will formally state to use in a Chrysler product calling for the MS6395 spec, even though their flagship products are better. I guess you have to thank the legal department for that.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I think you're right, they probably couldn't be bothered.

I think they are still bitter from the bankruptcy and Fiat acquisition of Chrysler that severed the relationship that Mobil had with them and replaced it with SOPUS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back