Totaled my BMW K75 Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.
so sorry to hear about your crash.

back in '72 or so my uncle that taught me to ride said, "there are 2 types of riders: those that have gone down on the street and those that have yet to."
i did not much like his statement.
in 1990 i had my first street accident.
3 years ago his own son got hit head on from a left turn in front of him...lived but broken up like you are.

rest, heal, ride again!

steve

Originally Posted By: ammolab
Originally Posted By: bigdreama
First of all, I'm glad that your not hurt. Secondly, that really sucks because you rode that bike since new and really had a bond with it.

Finally, why not buy it back from the insurance company and fix it up? From what you've said the damage isn't too bad and even with the miles it would be worth making roadworthy again.

In any case I'm happy that you are still with us and good luck with the path that you choose with the bike.
thumbsup2.gif

If forks and frame are damaged, which is likely along with every single body pannel? Repair would be about $12,000. On a bike with 147,000 miles....I can buy the best K75 in the U.S. for half that. I am good with the $4000 I had the bike insured for.

I understand. You emailed me a pic of the bike a few years ago and it was PRISTINE! I hope to hit the 100k mark on my GS someday too.

One note: I have my wife listed first on my cell phone contacts as

A WIFE - Next of Kin.

The "A" gets her first in the alphabet listing and the State police guy at the scene liked that as there were many folks on The list with my same last name. He had her on the phone before I even came to.

glad to hear that things are stable. nothing worse than hearing the worst outcome possible in bike accidents.

sucks to hear about the K75. First bike I learned on and its a solid performer. Father in law still has that bike and would nothing more than to see it leave his garage.

ammolab, now that you've had more time to reflect on things...what do you think was the cause ? what went wrong that put an experienced rider like yourself down ?

Hope you are getting better fast.

ICE. Is that the official "responder" lingo? Would be down my contacts list without an "A" in front.

Actually...I hope to never find out which is better.

I still wonder how the State Police opened my iPhone without my "code"? Is there a "responder trick" for that?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FastGame
ammolab, now that you've had more time to reflect on things...what do you think was the cause ? what went wrong that put an experienced rider like yourself down ?

Hope you are getting better fast.

No idea still. Do not remember anything. I visited the site, and I just ran off the pavement at about 45MPH and crashed about 50 yards latter. There was a 2-3ft "jump" near the end of my trajectory and that put me off the bike before I returned to the pavement.

I guess my impact was more vertical than horizontal....again, not a scratch anywhere. Just broken ribs, scapula, pneumothorax, and tiny brain bleed. I am up, around and no pain unless I sneeze. All good!

Last edited:
ICE. Is that the official "responder" lingo? Would be down my contacts list without an "A" in front.

I still wonder how the State Police opened my iPhone without my "code"? Is there a "responder trick" for that?

i dont know of any trick, i'll ask my leo buddy the next time i see him...should be any morning this week. he told me about ICE and so has the paramedic.

in your Favorites do this -> Name -ICE
as in firstname = Name
lastname = -ICE

Originally Posted By: sunruh

i dont know of any trick, i'll ask my leo buddy the next time i see him...should be any morning this week. he told me about ICE and so has the paramedic.

in your Favorites do this -> Name -ICE
as in firstname = Name
lastname = -ICE

When you hit my phone button it pulls up "contacts". I have this listed as 'last name' =. A next of kin WIFE. This pulls up first right at the top of the screen. The only item under "A". Hope to never use feature again!!!!

No, if the phone's locked under a password, there's no 1st responder trick for it...

So glad that you're on here discussing the collision. Beats the alternative! I would be wondering why I ran off-road for no obvious reason. Always a possibility that you were caught in a reverie or fell asleep. You have no memories of the get-off, I presume?

John.

My cell will allow 911 and my home # when locked by default I'm sure others are similar. Mine is programmable.
Smoky

ammo,
my "sarge" buddy confirms what smoky said.
"if we knew how to bypass the lock, everyone could google it too".
he said he personally looks for, ICE, and most called numbers (usually top of favorites).

i still do not have any memory of my big crash from june 20 1999.

i doubt you may ever remember yours

steve

Steve: Yes I did not think a "secret code" on cell phones would be a secret for to long. He may have asked me for the unlock code while I was still a bit stunned.

I did have the bike insured thru Progressive with a "stated value" for collision, etc.

I got a check for $4150 yesterday. That is more than I payed for it in 1986.

yes, i would imagine you gave him the unlock code.

how are you feeling? any better?

when my fzr600 was stolen i got a check for 150 less than what i paid. i was happy with that.

lotta time and miles on your bike.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
yes, i would imagine you gave him the unlock code.

how are you feeling? any better?

when my fzr600 was stolen i got a check for 150 less than what i paid. i was happy with that.

lotta time and miles on your bike.

Feeling good! Can cough and sneeze with no pain from ribs and shoulder healed enough for me to take a ride yesterday on the wife's Ninja 250. Back in the saddle!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back