Need gas hedge trimmer recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to start keeping an eye out for a used gas powered hedge trimmer on CL and eBay for next spring. Thinking either Stihl, Echo, or Husquvarna is the way to go. Wondered if you guys have any recommendations for one over the other, any specific model recommendations, or maybe another brand I should watch for. Thanks.

All 3 are good. I have 2 Echo products (20-year old string trimmer- still going strong- and a blower) and one Stihl (chainsaw). I'd recommend either. I've never owned a Husquvarna, but they sound good as well.

Just like anything, it depends on how much you want to spend and how in-depth you want to shop. You might find a high quality refurb unit online for a great price, or a really good used one.

My husqavarna string trimmer is the nicest small OPE I have owned. it's honda-powered, is well-made, and came with a very nice head. (the pole is a little short for me but that's just a preference thing).

For my 2 stroke OPE all I have is Echo.

Years ago my family had a craftsman blower and some brand I can't remember string trimmer. It was about a 50/50 chance whether either would start and run on any given day.

My Echo blower and string trimmer start without a fuss every single time. They run well and with plenty of power. I use the echo 2 cycle oil too.

I'm sure any of the brands you listed would serve you well, and I think you can't go wrong with Echo for a hedge trimmer.

I bought an Echo hedge trimmer about 4 years ago with a 24 inch bar.
Fantastic machine. Recommend it highly. It will cut a branch up to 1 inch thick if needed.
Model HT- 165..
Pete

Last edited:
Have Echo string/hedge trimmers and blower (handheld/backpack) 10-15 yrs old and Stihl saws 10-25 yrs... all going strong. However the "new" stuff doesn't appear to be as durable as the old, unless you buy the middle to high-end stuff.

I wouldn't recommend buying the Echo, Stihl or Husky at the big box stores. Same for JD tractors, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back