Any reason not to use silicone brake fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think of the electronic "pen" type testers for brake fluid? I bought one on eBay for grins and it indicates that my 52,000 mile brake fluid still contains less than 1% moisture and is fully serviceable. The color has changed a bit, but is currently more like a light whiskey than a bourbon.

Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop
DOT 3 DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 are Glycol based brake fluids whereas DOT 5
are Silicone based... Glycol based...

Harley-Davison, one of the sole current
OEM users of silicone fluid, warns buyers to let the fluid sit at
least an hour before using it. The trip home in the saddlebag is
enough to aerate silicone brake fluid until it looks like a freshly
poured soft drink.

Great post about the difference between the fluids and honestly do not know why someone would put in a fluid not specified by the manufacturer. Doesnt make sense to me, most bikes maintenance calls for replacing every two years, amazing how many people dont know it.

Great info on the changing color and water contamination. I can verify your fluid should be changed every two years on a bike. Can tell you a whole other story about my Yamaha, coming down a mountain one day and losing my rear brake due to vapor and moisture in my system. (we lived, no accident but scared the [censored] out of me)

Anyway, I dont understand your reference to Harley.
I dont know if some other models use DOT5 but my 14 ABS Road King specs DOT4 and every two years the same as almost all other makes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DBMaster
What do you think of the electronic "pen" type testers for brake fluid? I bought one on eBay for grins and it indicates that my 52,000 mile brake fluid still contains less than 1% moisture and is fully serviceable. The color has changed a bit, but is currently more like a light whiskey than a bourbon.

Never used one... I just change it every 1-2 years. Costs me maybe $10-15 for DOT4 fluid to flush my car/truck and even less in my motorcycles.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy

poured soft drink.

Great post about the difference between the fluids and honestly do not know why someone would put in a fluid not specified by the manufacturer. Doesnt make sense to me, most bikes maintenance calls for replacing every two years, amazing how many people dont know it.

Great info on the changing color and water contamination. I can verify your fluid should be changed every two years on a bike. Can tell you a whole other story about my Yamaha, coming down a mountain one day and losing my rear brake due to vapor and moisture in my system. (we lived, no accident but scared the [censored] out of me)

I dont know if some other models use DOT5 but my 14 ABS Road King specs DOT4 and every two years the same as almost all other makes.

Some manufacturers still spec DOT3 and there is no reason one cant use the higher-spec DOT4 (other than maybe cost, which is insignificant). I just use DOT4 in everything as I don't have any vehicles recommending or containing silicone fluid.

My father's '98 Softail specs silicone fluid... and I thought most other HDs do as well.

Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3

poured soft drink.

Some manufacturers still spec DOT3 and there is no reason one cant use the higher-spec DOT4 (other than maybe cost, which is insignificant). I just use DOT4 in everything as I don't have any vehicles recommending or containing silicone fluid.

My father's '98 Softail specs silicone fluid... and I thought most other HDs do as well.

I guess Harley gave up on the Silicone fluid sometime between 1998 and 2014.
All I know is ALL 2014 Harley touring models require DOT4

It would be silly to put a Silicone brake fluid in a brake system where it is not recommended.

Last edited:

poured soft drink.

Newer ones can't: silicone is not suited for ABS.

poured soft drink.

I guess Harley gave up on the Silicone fluid sometime between 1998 and 2014.
All I know is ALL 2014 Harley touring models require DOT4

It would be silly to put a Silicone brake fluid in a brake system where it is not recommended.

I have been running it in my Caddy and my wife's Grand National for close to twenty years. If it doesn't have ABS, I will use silicone brake fluid!

I became very curious and spent some time at Google University, looking for pictures or tests of corrosion that occurred in Silicone based brake systems.

So far, I've been unable to find any online pics or writeups of corrosion that happened with Silicone based systems.

In fact, the guys at Moss Motors make the claim that Silicone filled system lasts many times longer overall. (which mirrors my experience)

Quote:

" A newly rebuilt and scrupulously clean brake system filled with silicone fluid should outlast a system filled with glycol fluid by several times"

Last edited:
There's a lot more glycol systems out there, by orders of magnitude (probably)... so your more likely to find "issues" with glycol purely based on numbers.

I think either system, if properly maintained will last a lifetime.

Silicone is great for filling up just rebuilt brake systems on cars that will be sitting for years, as in a museum.

Silicone gives a more spongy pedal. It is more compressible. If water does somehow get into a silicone filled system it will lodge in a low spot, a bend, or whatever. Then eventually rust through when you least expect it. Silicone should not ever be bled with a pressure bleeder. True, it will not wreck your paint when you spill it all over the place in a blind drunk. DOT3/4 are easy to procure and bleed, and as long as you change it at a reasonable interval for your situation and car, it is just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back