Michelin AS3 owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had them for the past 7500 miles on my 335, square setup perfect alignment and wear. The road noise especially on asphalt is absurd. Much louder than the pilot super sports on my corvette. About ready to throw them away and replace with cinturato p7 all seasons, how much loss of grip? More tire pressure tends to help some 38f/39r currently but the noise is absurd in an otherwise quiet car. I emailed michelin they don't care heh.

What are you guys experiencing? Mine were produced 3013

It is rather unusual eqperience.

Krzys

PS 3013 looks like 998 years in the future!

Last edited:
A couple of thoughts:

First is that BMW's have an enormous amount of camber, and that tends to cause irregular wear - which in turn causes noise.

To make matters worse, BMW recommends AGAINST rotating tires, which is the usual way to minimize the development of irregular wear.

So I wonder how much the BMW's alignment spec is causing the noise.

I haven't noticed excess noise, but then I have a not quiet exhaust and a sound system turned up nearly all the time so...I wouldn't be able to tell.

P7's are quiet and comfortable but are not a performance tire. They are adequate for a bit of sporty driving and give you a noisy warning when you are about to exceed their limits.

I love my AS3s. I have a 1st gen Mazda 3 with zero rubber in the suspension in the front end (only thing left is sway bar mounts) and they're not loud at all. I'd definitely look into an alignment and have your wheel bearings checked as they can get louder as they die. I'm about 30k into mine with over 1/2 tread left.

I've had them on the MB S600 for over a year and they've been absolutely great. Smooth, quiet tires with tenacious grip when pushed. The perfect tire for a luxury performance car. Your experience is very different than mine...

Originally Posted By: BoostFrenzy
alignment has been verified twice and definitely no wheel bearing issues, the car has 450hp so i didn't want to step down to a lesser tire. here's a video with the noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAnwC-ljtI

skip to about 2min into the video to save yourself 2 min of parking lot
smile.gif

You need to inspect a tire. Take a dirty rag and wipe it off then run your bare hand across the tread. Sounds like you have irregular wear. BMW suspension settings are very hard on tires... not saying that's the root cause.

However irregular wear is usually caused by some kind of car suspension/chassis issue.

Last edited:
I did notice the shoulder nearest the most outer treadblocks are "melted" looking on the fronts, but tread is even to the touch and wearing evenly across the tire inspecting while on on a lift. I'm voting defective, but nowhere to turn.

I did notice the shoulder nearest the most outer treadblocks are "melted" looking on the fronts, but tread is even to the touch and wearing evenly across the tire inspecting while on on a lift. I'm voting defective, but nowhere to turn.
I've often wondered why the "ultimate driving machine" uses struts instead of wishbones. Crank a strut car steering way over to one side and look at the front camber. The rears....they look bowlegged. I'm sure it works, but plays havoc with tire wear.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Our member Overkill has a set of these on a Charger as do many others.

A very highly rated tire by most owners...

I had the PSS's on my M5 and I have the A/S3's on my wife's Charger and they both generated basically the same amount of noise (which is right around nothing).

Now, I could lend you the Goodyear Eagle's RS-A's off my SRT-8, then you could experience a noisy and horrible tire, LOL!!!
grin.gif

How did you determine Michelin doesn't care?
Do you have any discount tire by you?

I would be surprised if they didn't at least offer to prorate those out towards some new ones.

I have some defenders that are on pace to wear out in
Of course you have to say the right things.
Getting in someone's face and complaining your tires are noisy isn't the right course to take.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand

How did you determine Michelin doesn't care?
Do you have any discount tire by you?

I would be surprised if they didn't at least offer to prorate those out towards some new ones.

I have some defenders that are on pace to wear out in
Of course you have to say the right things.
Getting in someone's face and complaining your tires are noisy isn't the right course to take.

I've seen several reports of sporadic noise issues with these around the web, I called michelin they stated go see an authorized tire dealer... whenever i call discount/belle tire they really don't even want to look at them. I will try again with some different stores.

I have had them on my SRT-8 for about 15,000 miles, and absolutely love them. They're not quite as used-chewing-gum sticky as a "3-season" tire, but they're far quieter and more livable all-around than the two brands of 3-season tire I had prior. I'm thinking this is something unique to your vehicle, since 'quiet' has always been one of the chief selling points of the Pilot Sport AS3.

Want tire noise? Find a set of the previous-generation BFG G-force Sport CompIIs. LOVED the dry-road performance of that tire better than any other so far, but the wet was horrible and at around 45 mph they sounded a lot like BFG All-Terrain T/As. :-/

My pilot sport (as?) Are wearing terribly. About 30k mil and my belts are showing on both edges of front tires. Had to put 50 psi (and I thought 35psi was noisy) to slow the wear down, 33 just wasn't enough. Oddly enough the turanzas that came with the Lexus did not have that wear pattern or as much noise. I'm also stuck in the no rotation zone, directional tires with a 225/255 staggered set-up. From my experience the michelins tend to be noisy, but I only ran performance tires from them.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
My pilot sport (as?) Are wearing terribly. About 30k mil and my belts are showing on both edges of front tires. Had to put 50 psi (and I thought 35psi was noisy) to slow the wear down, 33 just wasn't enough. Oddly enough the turanzas that came with the Lexus did not have that wear pattern or as much noise. I'm also stuck in the no rotation zone, directional tires with a 225/255 staggered set-up. From my experience the michelins tend to be noisy, but I only ran performance tires from them.

If they are directional then you don't have the tires being discussed in this thread.

Also, shoulder wear is not a tire problem but an inflation, suspension and/or alignment problem. It sounds like there is something wrong with your vehicle, which is also why they are noisy since the wear is irregular.

We have AS3's on our '08 E60 I believe they are W rated. They are much quieter than the Conti DW's they replaced. Ours also wears the front passenger side outer shoulder and can't be rotated. We gave up after a few alignments when the car was new.

The car came with some continental tire that was very quiet, but it was also very squishy and had a tire rack rating of 3/10

Last edited:
Everyone said their opinion, and what I would ask is: why you have on 335 AS3 and not PSS?
It is widely known that AS3 is terrible in the snow (which is obvious looking at the tread).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back