RockAuto Deals??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am struggling to see why so many claims such good deals at RockAuto. I have looked there numerous times just like tonight I wanted an air filter for my Montero and the filter price was good at $5.12. Then you calculate the shipping and BAM another $9.09 for a total of $14.21. I can get it locally for less than that. Am I missing something?

Certain things are cheaper than others. Sometimes things like struts or ball joints, tie rods, mufflers etc, stuff that Walmart wouldn't normally carry might be cheaper, but for filters, there's too much competition for them to be competitive. I've never bought a filter from them.

They're just another place to compare prices. Sometimes they're the cheapest, sometimes they aren't.

I don't know if that's a good example. I personally have never ordered an air filter from them as I've found better prices elsewhere on that item.

But I am surprised by the shipping cost on that item. Is it an especially large filter?

It's somewhat funny how RockAuto always features a certain item on their home page that is cheaper than their competitors, but they never include shipping charges on those prices. Yet, they don't ship for free.
Actually, RockAuto's best feature is that they have a greater assortment of name brands than your local auto parts store does.
Lately, I pretty much just purchase closeout items on RockAuto. They usually all ship out of the same warehouse and the lower price makes up for the shipping costs.

I have noticed over the last few months that they are manipulating their shipping prices a lot. If I want to purchase various items, I have to pay three or four different shipping charges unless I buy it from the same warehouse. Well, that's not what I usually want to do, so their shipping prices are getting ridiculous. Use to not be this way.

Been using Advance a lot lately because I can order online with huge discounts, and then pick it up in the store plus the returns are a lot simpler. Pile on the Speed Perks rewards, and it just gets better.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
I am struggling to see why so many claims such good deals at RockAuto. I have looked there numerous times just like tonight I wanted an air filter for my Montero and the filter price was good at $5.12. Then you calculate the shipping and BAM another $9.09 for a total of $14.21. I can get it locally for less than that. Am I missing something?

You never order one thing from Rockauto if its a small item...that's a no-brainer. Batch up what you need and order many things at once. What will you need in the future? Brake pads? Rotors? Spark Plugs, oil filters? Muffler? Belts...the list can go on and on

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream

You never order one thing from Rockauto if its a small item...that's a no-brainer. Batch up what you need and order many things at once. What will you need in the future? Brake pads? Rotors? Spark Plugs, oil filters? Muffler? Belts...the list can go on and on

The thing is you just can't do that now because everything seems to come from different warehouses, and you will have multiple shipping charges that are ridiculous. Sure if you stick to one warehouse, but then you are pigeon holed with what ever that warehouse has.

Originally Posted By: BigD1

The thing is you just can't do that now because everything seems to come from different warehouses, and you will have multiple shipping charges that are ridiculous. Sure if you stick to one warehouse, but then you are pigeon holed with what ever that warehouse has.

Thats the same thing Cheaper Than Dirt does with gun items.

I used them to order air injection check valves for my Intrigue a few years ago. The parts store didn't stock them and the stealership wanted a lot more than Rock Auto sold them for.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I'm using Amazon Prime a lot, the Zon seems to be making a run at the car parts business.

Yup, Amazon has some truly great pricing on automotive products. Free shipping makes it that much better.

Amazon has been great for me. I trust their service and any issues always get fixed quickly. Easy to deal with..so much so for me that id be willing to pay a bit more just to buy through them...but shhh dont tell them
wink.gif

Then you calculate the shipping and BAM another $9.09 for a total of $14.21. I can get it locally for less than that. Am I missing something?

Yes. How would RockAuto ever be competitive in the way you're trying to use it? There are a couple ways to use the site to your advantage. You can buy big ticket items at a steep discount, which easily makes up for shipping. You can stock up on smaller items like filters and have them shipped in one box for a fair price. Or you can tack small items like filters on to a larger order to combine shipping costs.

This is actually how any website that charges for shipping works...

Buy more than 1 item.

They are worth shopping from if you buy a good bit of stuff at one time. The shipping is bad, but the prices are cheaper. I recently bought about 18 different items from them and they were still cheaper than buying the same exact items from amazon even with prime free shipping. And all of those items were more or less name brand items. They are worth it if you are buying in bulk and I was buying from multiple warehouses too. All of the stuff came in a few days early and bundled together contrary to what the website estimated. I would definitely recommend and shop again!

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

+1

I would have to agree with buying a bunch if stuff at one time. Buying pads and rotors for both of my cars comes out cheaper on RA than any store or amazon, even with shipping....

I just ordered a brand new Hitachi MAF sensor tonight from RockAuto. Shipping was only $3.47 and no tax. Anything around town would be at least twice as much for an inferior brand like A1Cardone.

They don't seem to care if their shipping is expensive and they miss your sale. If shipping were "fair" the subsidy would still be paid by somebody. I would not be surprised if their warehouses were close to/ inside the parts maker, or where the maker busts open their shipping containers from china. I respect their cockamamie shipping and note when a slightly more expensive alternative ships cheaper.

Amazon is not as good price wise as they were just a year ago. I was looking for brake pads, picked Centric. RA was $14 with $5 shipping. Amazon $21, and Advance for a comparable part 30-something after discount. I still cross shop amazon though. And they're good for AC Delco's cheapo line for when I fix my in laws cars with what they see as Genuine GM parts. (Not really.)

I ship to my work and often save another couple bucks that only show up in the final part of the checkout process, when they realize it's a business address.

Just got a ten-pack of 921 bulbs shipped for $6. Two bulbs are $4.99 locally. I'll go through 'em eventually. Markup is crazy on the small stuff in parts stores.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
I would have to agree with buying a bunch if stuff at one time. Buying pads and rotors for both of my cars comes out cheaper on RA than any store or amazon, even with shipping....

I may try walmart for rotors next time. Something that heavy, one pays for shipping one way or the other. But they could dump them on an 18 wheeler doing a hub run to the store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back