Cotter Pin style hose clamp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have the definitive answer as to how to remove one of these? It's on the heater control valve on my Corolla and seeping a tiny bit of coolant. I'm going to replace it with a constant tension clamp. Thanks!

vjlZolb.jpg

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/130-7t...p-come-off.html

Last edited:
Just use wire cutters to cut through outside part of the band on top near the joint. It looks about ready to fall off anyway.

I would lightly nip it with a Dremel or other cutting wheel...just enough to get a break started then use some needle nose pliers and wiggle it back and forth and hope it snaps.

Offer up the hose to the hose Gods, that's a plastic piece to which it attaches and getting brutal with things may break the fitting itself. You'll want to change the clamps on both ends anyway. I'm sure Rock auto or the Zon has the hose. I got a new airbox to intake hose recently for a Camry for less than 20 bucks and it came with clamps. If you have a new hose in hand you can dremel the band off without a worry about nicking the hose, then a shot of WD 40 or such and the hose should work right off.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Bang a screwdriver in there and give it a twist!

Good way the break the fitting connection.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
I would lightly nip it with a Dremel or other cutting wheel...just enough to get a break started then use some needle nose pliers and wiggle it back and forth and hope it snaps.

Yup this. If a doctor can whiz through a plaster cast without nicking the skin under neath you can do this.

Even if you get a little bit of rubber it won't go through all the way.

If you use a dremel cut the band where it goes over the connecting piece. Any over-cutting will be into that piece. You won't be anywhere close to the rubber.

Just do something. The post on the Toyota forum is almost a year old. Has the OP been planning the replacement of this clamp for that long?

Originally Posted By: Pontual
Salt in th road is a car killer. Should be forbiden.

Up here in Canada if we don't salt the roads only 4x4's or larger vehicles could get around at all. Even then many would get stuck.

Originally Posted By: mk378
If you use a dremel cut the band where it goes over the connecting piece. Any over-cutting will be into that piece. You won't be anywhere close to the rubber.

Just do something. The post on the Toyota forum is almost a year old. Has the OP been planning the replacement of this clamp for that long?

I didn't post on the Toyota forum. Just linked to it so people here could see what I was talking about.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Got it off; the cotter pin unscrews like a worm clamp. Once I had enough clearance, I cut it off. It was very loose.

I used this clamp to fix it. Couldn't find any constant tension worm clamps, so this should suffice as it won't cut the hose.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catalo...1050_0361081397

Those are good clamps from NAPA - I've used them. But difficult to understand why you aren't replacing the hose.

The hose still looks to be in perfect shape. It's very easy to get at; if/when it or any of the other hoses deteriorate, I'll replace all the cooling system hoses. I've found OEM hoses on older Toyota's to essentially be a lifetime part. Never had one fail.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Got it off; the cotter pin unscrews like a worm clamp. Once I had enough clearance, I cut it off. It was very loose.

I used this clamp to fix it. Couldn't find any constant tension worm clamps, so this should suffice as it won't cut the hose.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catalo...1050_0361081397

If it gets real cold where you are those things will leak especially when used on plastic connections. At least it has a liner in it to stop the hose coming through the holes but that's of little help with cold leaking.

If it does leak don't keep tightening it, order a constant tension clamp either screw or spring style and coat the connection with Hylomar before assembly.
Hylomar is non setting and will last forever or until the part is disassembled, it allows the hose to be removed without cutting and prevents leaks on this type of plastic/rubber connection better than anything.
Its not cheap but i figured it out to about $1 a joint which isn't too bad.

http://www.amazon.com/Hylomar-HUBR02-Polyurethane-Sealant-Tube/dp/B007PBCZCI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_60_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1HW9ACEWDHRKA05JH5R9&dpID=51sWyBQZj4L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back