Measuring Freeze temp with Robinair Refreactometer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a Robinair 75240 Coolant and Battery Refractometer. Water reads at 32 (so its calibrated) a brand new bottle of 50/50 coolant I have is reading at -34 as advertised, and an old bottle of coolant I had lying around read at -15. Now what I'm not understanding is in my 04 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 I tested a sample from under the radiator cap (coolant is between orange and pink i'm not even sure whats in it and how long its been in there and ive owned it for 2 years now) and it read above the scale which tops out at -60. Could this be right? Maybe there is more antifreeze than water in there? Maybe i'm doing it wrong?

I just bought a Robin to start testing the coolant on my PSD, but have not opened it yet. Was it easy to use?

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I just bought a Robin to start testing the coolant on my PSD, but have not opened it yet. Was it easy to use?

Very easy you just put a drop or two of water on the glass press down to take the air out and set it at 32, then wipe off and do the same to measure your coolant. I like it a lot but I'm not understanding why it says -60 on my Jeep maybe it doesn't work on orange/pink/red coolant?

Originally Posted By: jbotelho15
(coolant is between orange and pink i'm not even sure whats in it and how long its been in there and ive owned it for 2 years now)

I think you have answered your own concern.

You followed good procedure by testing the instrument with distilled water and other known correct coolants. It is not uncommon for people to dump coolant into their engines and completely muck up the concentration.

Try diluting your engine coolant with distilled water to see if it comes down. Also be aware that I don't believe your tester is temperature compensating, so a hot solution might test inaccurate.

Have fun with your refractometer. I have one at work and it's really a pleasure to use. I have found out that lots of ag. and industrial equipment has really bad manuals regarding coolant system capacity. The refractometer has saved me many times.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Originally Posted By: jbotelho15
(coolant is between orange and pink i'm not even sure whats in it and how long its been in there and ive owned it for 2 years now)

I think you have answered your own concern.

You followed good procedure by testing the instrument with distilled water and other known correct coolants. It is not uncommon for people to dump coolant into their engines and completely muck up the concentration.

Try diluting your engine coolant with distilled water to see if it comes down. Also be aware that I don't believe your tester is temperature compensating, so a hot solution might test inaccurate.

Have fun with your refractometer. I have one at work and it's really a pleasure to use. I have found out that lots of ag. and industrial equipment has really bad manuals regarding coolant system capacity. The refractometer has saved me many times.

I tested it cold so that couldnt be it. I have drove it like that for 2 years now and have not had any problems would it still be wise to drain some and add water?

Make sure that you are using the correct scale. Some anti-freeze (more environmentally friendly) is made from propylene glycol instead of ethylene glycol. They will read differently on a refractometer and at least some refractometers have separate scales for each.

I have a Refractometer for checking Coolant.
Their accurate and easy to use.
Mine has Scales for Ethylene Glycol and Propylene Glycol plus Battery.
What I like about mine is that it shows Temp. and Percent
Ethylene Glycol Scale is:
32* = 0%
0* = 33%
-20* = 44%
-30* = 48%
-40* = 52%
-50* = 56%
-60* = 59%
etc, etc

You need to know what type Coolant your using.
Does your Refractometer check both types ? ? ?

If it calibrates at 0F and confirming with a known 50/50,
I would question the concentration or type of Coolant in your Wrangler.

(coolant is between orange and pink i'm not even sure whats in it and how long its been in there and ive owned it for 2 years now) and it read above the scale which tops out at -60

Time for a change. Then you know what you have.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
I have a Refractometer for checking Coolant.
Their accurate and easy to use.
Mine has Scales for Ethylene Glycol and Propylene Glycol plus Battery.
What I like about mine is that it shows Temp. and Percent
Ethylene Glycol Scale is:
32* = 0%
0* = 33%
-20* = 44%
-30* = 48%
-40* = 52%
-50* = 56%
-60* = 59%
etc, etc

You need to know what type Coolant your using.
Does your Refractometer check both types ? ? ?

If it calibrates at 0F and confirming with a known 50/50,
I would question the concentration or type of Coolant in your Wrangler.

(coolant is between orange and pink i'm not even sure whats in it and how long its been in there and ive owned it for 2 years now) and it read above the scale which tops out at -60

Time for a change. Then you know what you have.
by your scale I'd think it's 60/40 coolant then. Is this better to protect from corrosion since it doesn't over heat?

by your scale I'd think it's 60/40 coolant then. Is this better to protect from corrosion since it doesn't over heat?

I see that the Robinair Scale only shows temp. (% not shown)

Do an Internet search of Refractometers and find a picture that shows a Scale with % AND Temperature (F. not C.).
Print it out and use as reference when checking your coolant.

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/1/4/6/7/1/4/webimg/536251360_tp.jpg
or try this
http://www.waynesgarage.com/images/antifreeze_chart.jpg

Mine just happens to have both % and temp which is easier to use.

I'm not an automotive expert, but if I were you, (based on what you stated),
I would look in the Owners Manual and find the correct coolant and change it.

Whatever coolant you use, make sure it meets the 04 Jeep Wrangler Specification.

Don't make the mistake I did and assume that All Make/All Model would be good to use.
For my vehicle it ended up being the wrong kind.

I like using my Refractometer as they are the most accurate way of checking coolant.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back