Stripped or bad license plate screws

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a way to cure this problem.... So all the cars ive ever kept for a while and later on sold always gave me license plate screw problems. Rarely am i able to get the plate off cleanly and well i just encountered another one and its getting annoying.

Living in the rust belt and these screws/plates are normally untouched in 3-10 years.

What ive normally found is the "U" shapped holding tab behind the plate is normally cliped to the bumper and will be broken. Letting that spin freely. What causes it to be broken is the screw seizing up in that U shape tab. Most cases i can reach that tab and hold it with pliers and use a cordless screwdriver to take them off.

But then i get these screws from [censored] and NOTHING works short of ripping a hold in the bumper or ripping the plate and leaving the screws there. Ive done both with the premission of the NEW owner.

I figure someone at the dealerships or used car lots will see this on a daily bases and maybe figured out a way to solve it. I could of sworn i bought stainless steel screws the last few cars i bought too...

Strange; all of the cars that I have owned have had a plastic insert in the bumper the screw goes into. Have you tried searching for some of these?

I replaced my screws with stainless bolts from home depot. This way i can get it off with a ratchet.

Also a dab of anti seize never hurts anything.

I think the bolts were 10 cents a piece or something.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Can't help you with a solution. I always use torx or square head stainless steel screws to make it harder for thieves to steal my plates.

But if the rear U tab isn't held in place. Same problems. Just harder to take off.

Love the Stainless Steel Torx or Hex head ideas, especially Security Torx.

Anyone know the Metric thread dimension and Length for a Honda Fit off hand?

I live in the Rust Belt, this is actually a great idea, and keeps plates from being stolen easily too.

Bought and installed Stainless Security Torx kit today on my Fit.

The set was bought at Canadian Tire, they had two sets: For Domestic Cars, and For Import Cars.

I bought the Import Car set and it worked great, was only able to change the top two as the bottom two had plastic inserts in my hatch that had an M4 size wood screw.

So I used anti-seize as well, but threads were starting to rust as it had the plastic slotted screws up top and water seemed to get around the plastic threads.

Glad I did it thanks to Bowlofturtle for the idea, great post.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JustinH
I replaced my screws with stainless bolts from home depot. This way i can get it off with a ratchet.

Also a dab of anti seize never hurts anything.

I also use stainless steel hex bolts for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back