Towing and MPG loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did my first towing experience using a 2007 MDX coupled to a 6x12 closed uhaul(1900 lbs). It was a bit jerky when empty and hitting bumps but definitely easier to pull loaded(3500ish lbs). MDX is rated for 5000lbs.

It achieved 15MPG(rated city) instead of typical 20MPG in the trip with a Honda V6. Loaded it held gears longer(3500RPM-4000RPM) and shifted better then unloaded.Oddly unloaded(70 miles up) or loaded(return trip) no difference in MPG with about 1500 lbs in stuff(tools/furniture/woodshop hardwood scrap for my woodstove.

Is 25% loss in MPG about normal with vehicles?

It most depends on frontal area than weight. 25-50% is normal depending on how big of a brick you are pulling. Its not surprising you didnt see a diference loaded and unloaded.

My 2011 2500HD with the Duramax diesel loses about 50% towing my boat or RV. The boat is 10,000 and the RV is 11,000. I go from about 20 empty to 10-11.

My 2013 CR-V goes from about 33 on the highway to 24 when I'm towing my 5x8 utility trailer and two dirt bikes. That's right about 25% loss.

Well there is more weight and drag so it will take more power to do the work.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
It most depends on frontal area than weight. 25-50% is normal depending on how big of a brick you are pulling. Its not surprising you didnt see a diference loaded and unloaded.

Yes,wind resistance has a huge effect on mileage.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
I did my first towing experience using a 2007 MDX coupled to a 6x12 closed uhaul(1900 lbs). It was a bit jerky when empty and hitting bumps but definitely easier to pull loaded(3500ish lbs). MDX is rated for 5000lbs.

It achieved 15MPG(rated city) instead of typical 20MPG in the trip with a Honda V6. Loaded it held gears longer(3500RPM-4000RPM) and shifted better then unloaded.Oddly unloaded(70 miles up) or loaded(return trip) no difference in MPG with about 1500 lbs in stuff(tools/furniture/woodshop hardwood scrap for my woodstove.

Is 25% loss in MPG about normal with vehicles?

25% less economy is probably about the minimum, for an enclosed trailer. As you found, the big hit is from increased drag from air resistance, rather than weight.

Sounds about right. When I hook up our 11' high, 35' long camper to the F150, fuel economy goes from 17-20 to 6-10. If it's a large hill I think I've seen 2-4 (you do make that up going down as you don't touch the gas).

You definitely know it's back there as it's a huge wall you are pulling though the air. Tongue weight is important and will help settle some of the bounciness.

Tow/Haul mode if you have it will delay the shifts and it will work like you experienced.

From what they say weight doesn't really matter - it's that frontal area that kills you.

I get about 14 to 16 empty and when I am towing our 11 foot tall 35 foot long trailer I get aobut 7 to 9.
02 2500HD 6.0 gasser.

I haven't towed with the Focus with any weight in the Popup, but the Focus gets 32MPG towing my Popup at 55-65 MPH. Down from the typical 35-38.

Not too shabby.

My 5.2L Grand Cherokee gets 10MPG highway when towing and about 17.5MPG when not.

It just has to work pretty [censored] hard. The 5.2L is a workhorse but it's not a powerhouse. I just towed a 6x12 open Uhaul with about 2000lbs of metal office furniture the other day. (No idea what the trailer weighs)

Plus you have to disable overdrive which kills mileage.

Last edited:
2006 Duramax with 33" tire does 22 Hwy and 13.2 towing a V-nose 8.5 x 20 enclosed trailer weighing a tick over 10,700 loaded.

1991 GMC 5.7 does 16.7 Hwy and 8.3 with 4 quads and gear on a 4-place flat bed trailer weighing about 4400. It drops to second gear to hold about 50 mph on the steepest of grades here in AK. No tach on this truck but its screaming.

28-30 mpg highway towing my utility trailer with my Cruze. That's down from its usual 40-45 mpg on the highway. Weight doesn't matter much with that trailer.

I drop from about 18 on the highway to about 10 in the FX. With my tundra pulling a 7x14 dual axle trailer it would drop from ~16 to 8mpg on the highway. Weight didn't matter as much on the highway, but it made a big impact around town.

I never worried about towing with the tundra, but with the smaller SUV's and CUV's I wonder about their durability when running nearly wide open for hours or days on end.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
My 5.2L Grand Cherokee gets 10MPG highway when towing and about 17.5MPG when not.

It just has to work pretty [censored] hard. The 5.2L is a workhorse but it's not a powerhouse. I just towed a 6x12 open Uhaul with about 2000lbs of metal office furniture the other day. (No idea what the trailer weighs)

I towed my popup a few weeks ago with my Cherokee. Loaded with camping gear, spare parts and tools it was really struggling. I have 32'' tires and factory gearing.

But to keep up 55 on the highway, there was absolutely no overdrive and even the slightest hill it was kicking down into 2nd gear.

I'm pretty sure I was down in the single digits

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
I get about 14 to 16 empty and when I am towing our 11 foot tall 35 foot long trailer I get aobut 7 to 9.
02 2500HD 6.0 gasser.

That's exactly what I get with my 2006 Denali 6.0L. But they pull hard
smile.gif

I average about 20 mpg on the hwy (depending on terrain, as high as 22 mpg and as low as 18 mpg) with my F150 Eco-Boost

I average about 12 mpg towing a 3500 lbs plus gear and liquids 20' camping trailer on similar trips.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

I towed my popup a few weeks ago with my Cherokee. Loaded with camping gear, spare parts and tools it was really struggling. I have 32'' tires and factory gearing.

But to keep up 55 on the highway, there was absolutely no overdrive and even the slightest hill it was kicking down into 2nd gear.

Sounds like my 5'x8' Uhaul trailer experience with the Tracker, although the worst tank was still 14mpg in a head/cross wind.
With about the same weight, on a utility trailer, and a slight tail wind, the mileage only drops 10-20%

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: Miller88

Sounds like my 5'x8' Uhaul trailer experience with the Tracker, although the worst tank was still 14mpg in a head/cross wind.
With about the same weight, on a utility trailer, and a slight tail wind, the mileage only drops 10-20%

I kind of wish I had been able to get a real figure on it. Actual MPG was around 9-10 for the tank I believe because of a 3 day long offroading trip.

Wasn't too much drag since the popup is so short.

yes those numbers look good for the OP. actually really good. Make sure you lock out your highest gear to reduce stress/temps on the AT. Let it rev.

Also be aware that with a softly sprung tail and a short wheelbase, that vehicle may require a weight distributing hitch to achieve the full 5000 lbs. We have an 02 and I would not feel comfortable pulling more than 2500 lbs without WDH and trailer brakes for anything out of town.

M

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
02 2500HD 6.0 gasser.

Yep mine lugs the 7500lbs around easy peasy. I have been real happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back