QSUD vs M1EP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Originally Posted By: hydrogen3
So is QSUD the only non GTL oil from shell? Is M1 GTL?

Officially only Pennzoil Platinum oils are GTL from Shell but as you can see there is plenty of speculation on if it is used in other Shell oils.

M1 is made by ExxonMobil and is not advertised as a GTL, nor has anyone to my knowledge claimed that it is.

Are GTL oils better than non GTL's

Plenty of great oils that are not GTL

name 4..

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer

Officially only Pennzoil Platinum oils are GTL from Shell but as you can see there is plenty of speculation on if it is used in other Shell oils.

M1 is made by ExxonMobil and is not advertised as a GTL, nor has anyone to my knowledge claimed that it is.

Plenty of great oils that are not GTL

name 4..

Mobil 1
Motul
Liqui-Moly
Castrol

Officially, Pennzoil Platimum and Ultra (and Shell Helix by market) are the only GTL based products.

Originally Posted By: hydrogren3

No. And that's without you even defining "better." If you're talking better pricing, the answer is no. Better availability, no again. Better specifications or performance, no, since there are so many parameters to a finished oil to render the term "better" useless. Better certifications, no.

My question is how many of you are using QSUD long term? (meaning more than one OCI) I'm betting not many......

I'm still awaiting your data verifying that QSUD is prone to oxidative thickening. I hope you have more than anecdotal evidence or one data point, too.

Originally Posted By: Garak
My question is how many of you are using QSUD long term? (meaning more than one OCI) I'm betting not many......

I'm still awaiting your data verifying that QSUD is prone to oxidative thickening. I hope you have more than anecdotal evidence or one data point, too.

I hope you aren't holding your breath while waiting ....

He doesn't. The data doesn't exist. And trying to push the idea is hilarious as a whole.
There is nothing wrong with Quaker state oils. They are competitive in their tier and I've used various grades without a single issue.
Defy actually stopped a slight bottom end knock that was very loud using m1 afe. I used defy 5w-20 on the next interval and the noise immediately disappeared.
I'd use it exclusively if the price was right however when I stock up jugs have to be under 30 bucks for top tier,otherwise I'll wait.
Qsud has proven via used oil analysis to be a 10000 mile drain oil and is on par with pp for the most part from the data that has been posted in the used oil analysis section.
It's funny to watch trolls and their misguided belief in various oil myths die just like people who hold these myths because there needs to be a demon,so they latch on to whatever grandpaw told them years ago. Their thinking hasn't evolved however the oil industry has.

Amen
smile.gif

Quaker State makes very good oil. For the price point their oil is a deal any day of the week. Period. $14.47 for QSGB at Wally world is a great price. Plus look at the PQIA test results. It really is a syn blend that has a good amount of molybdenum and boron, TBN near 8, and does very well in cold starts too. Quaker State Ultimate Durability is a fine synthetic that has a NOACK of 8.8, great cold weather properties. Plus for $21.97 at Wally world that's a darn good deal. This ain't Quaker State ala 1985... It is a bad donkey product
smile.gif

Last edited:
No, if he'd said that PP and QSUD were the same oil in different bottles, at least there's no data to disprove that, other than what Johnny told us.
wink.gif

And the voa that shows different additive packages

No, if he'd said that PP and QSUD were the same oil in different bottles, at least there's no data to disprove that, other than what Johnny told us.
wink.gif

Are they the same oil?

I'd say no. I believe what Shell says, and I believe what our member Johnny has stated about it. But, there have been VOAs where Formula Shell, PYB, and QS showed as identical within the error bars. For one, that tells us the VOA isn't everything. Secondly, we see that that oils periodically reformulate, since we've also seen VOAs where the add packs weren't "identical."

So, I'm satisfied that QSGB, Formula Shell, and PYB are different products. However, that being said, QSGB, Formula Shell, and PYB are essentially interchangeable. We see it on occasion here where people despise PYB but love QSGB, or the other way around, unaware (or intentionally oblivious) to the fact that they're made by the same company, following the same standards and quality control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back