Brake Squeal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I have a brake squeal/rubbing noise on one of my disc brakes. It only makes the noise when I apply the brakes. I have applied CRC brake grease to the back of the pad where the caliper meets and it stops the sound for about a month and then the sound comes back. Is there a type of grease/chemical/etc that will permanently get rid of the noise?

Last edited:
I'd be curious to hear if anyone has any suggestions. I had thermoquiet pads on my truck which were great and replaced them with a set of the cheap 'silver' pads from advance and they are the nosiest pads I've ever had anything to do with. They're awful.

Ya, really depends on the pads and how well they fit. Also, how well the shims are on the back.

I tend to buy more high performance pads, so they squeal naturally. I get looks from people sometimes, but thats OK. Between great pads and good tires, I can out-stop them any day of the week if necessary. And thats well worth the noise. Plus, I mean, lets face it - 'because racecar'
smile.gif

Could be the type/brand of pad. Lots of times brake pads will just squeal and there is nothing you can really do to cure it.

I had the same problem. I greased the back of the caliper where it contacts the pads and also the piston and the squealing was gone.

If you already did that and it still squeals it's the pad, and probably nothing you could do about it.

On some cars that use semi-metallic OEM pads like BMWs if you stick ceramics in there they will be very prone to squealing. Get pads that have the OEM type of friction material. Ceramic pads on German cars is a recipe for squealing brakes.

Also the caliper pins, pad ears and back have already been mentioned, really anywhere the pad backing metal makes contact.

Another problem I've seen is the tracks where the pad ears sit get indented/grooved and the pad can't retract easily.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Could be the type/brand of pad. Lots of times brake pads will just squeal and there is nothing you can really do to cure it.

That is the issue I am having with the Duralst C Max golds. They weren't cheap pads but they make all sorts of noise when the car has been sitting for a little bit or if the weather is cold/wet. Sometimes pads just make noise. I would recommend checking the Abutment clips and making sure they are clean and apply a thin layer of syl-glide to the contact points of the pads. Also clean the caliper slide pins and regrease those as well.

I took everything apart tonight and cleaned all the dust and old grease from the pins, back of the pads, piston, ears, etc. I put fresh brake grease on the ears and pins. I bought a bottle of CRC disc brake quiet (bright orange liquid) and I applied it to the back of the pads and the piston. So I guess Ill let you all know how that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back