What is the best conventional 5W-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bakechad
Originally Posted By: Astro_Guy
The best conventional 5w20 is the synthetic 5w20 that is on sale. Run the numbers...

+1

+2 I haven't ran a conventional oil in several years because i can buy synthetics so cheap and run them longer.

I'm not sure what the "best" conventional really is, but I'd have to say Pennzoil. If I was going to use conventional, I'd either go with Pennzoil or Mobil Super 5000. Valvoline does a fine job as well. I'd stick to 4,000-5,000 mile oil changes on conventional as well. For the price of Pennzoil conventional, you can have a synthetic blend for the same price or just a couple more bucks. And even SuperTech full synthetic is only a couple bucks higher than Pennzoil's conventional.

I know marketing tells us Synthetic is best followed by Synthetic blend and conventional. But if PQIA's numbers for 5w20 and 10w30 are correct isn't PYB better than any synthetic blend and on par with many synthetics? I know there's more to an oil than NOACK but the add pack looks good, VI seems to be even with other oils of the same grade and NOACK is amazing. I am by no means an expert so maybe there's something I'm missing. If so hopefully someone can point it out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cb_13
I know marketing tells us Synthetic is best followed by Synthetic blend and conventional. But if PQIA's numbers for 5w20 and 10w30 are correct isn't PYB better than any synthetic blend and on par with many synthetics? I know there's more to an oil than NOACK but the add pack looks good, VI seems to be even with other oils of the same grade and NOACK is amazing. I am by no means an expert so maybe there's something I'm missing. If so hopefully someone can point it out.

I was actually thinking the same thing. A company slaps "Synthetic" on their product and we assume that means it is a superior product to conventional. But in the US, the term "synthetic" is pretty meaningless...like "natural" on food products.

The PQIA numbers along with the UOA's I've seen for PYB would indicate that it may be as good or even better than some of the oils labeled as synthetic out there. And if that is the case, then PYB would be one of the best values on the oil market...conventional, blend, or synthetic. IDK about extended OCI's but for standard OCI's I would probably use it over many off-brand group III oils.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer

I was actually thinking the same thing. A company slaps "Synthetic" on their product and we assume that means it is a superior product to conventional. But in the US, the term "synthetic" is pretty meaningless...like "natural" on food products.

The PQIA numbers along with the UOA's I've seen for PYB would indicate that it may be as good or even better than some of the oils labeled as synthetic out there. And if that is the case, then PYB would be one of the best values on the oil market...conventional, blend, or synthetic. IDK about extended OCI's but for standard OCI's I would probably use it over many off-brand group III oils.

I agree, the numbers for PYB followed by QSGB really standout. They both have a noack well under 10% with every other oil tested well above 10%. Plus PYB has a TBN of almost 10, the highest tested.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/Feb2014/consolidated5w20ALL.html

I've seen synthetics with higher noack volatility % than these two.

PYB., QSGB
TBN 9.46, 7.87
Noack 6.5 %, 7.8
Zinc 857 ppm., 812
Moly 272 ppm., 118
Boron 119 ppm., 230
Vis. Index 155, 156

Hard to find a better combination of figures than these two.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SR5
Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer

I agree, the numbers for PYB followed by QSGB really standout. They both have a noack well under 10% with every other oil tested well above 10%. Plus PYB has a TBN of almost 10, the highest tested.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/Feb2014/consolidated5w20ALL.html

I've seen synthetics with higher noack volatility % than these two.

PYB., QSGB
TBN 9.46, 7.87
Noack 6.5 %, 7.8
Zinc 857 ppm., 812
Moly 272 ppm., 118
Boron 119 ppm., 230
Vis. Index 155, 156

Hard to find a better combination of figures than these two.

The lines between conventional and synthetic have become very blurred, especially in the last two API ratings.

I'm partial to PYB.

It's good stuff.

I've been using clearance priced synthetics lately though.

PU and PP are good substitutes for PYB.

Watch the sales and you'll never use conventional again.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

Watch the sales and you'll never use conventional again.

x2. Easy to do here when the deals sub-forum is followed. Heck, now M1 has a rebate out bringing the price to around conventional. They get even better than that.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The best conventional 5W20(or any grade) oil is FAR. Otherwise PYB or MS5K whichever is cheaper.

+100

for me the line is the sulfur levels. if I were a racer, I'd look at some other differentiators first

Some people don't care for rebates or shopping around for sales. They just go to the store and purchase as needed. And if the oil specs needed can be satisfied with a Conventional...it makes sense.

So if one had the choice between only PYB or Supertech Synthetic, cost being the same, and oci's being around 5K, which would be the best choice ? Would the "best" conventional win out over the "less than best" synthetic ?

We know nothing about your driving conditions, highway/city ratio and where you live sir. Shooting from the hip; I would use PYB 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back