Manual transmissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, to further specify, but not to rule out

An H gate is specified but would also need to know what and how those transmissions that you just pull a lever back for each taller forward gear.

Thank you once again

NHRA Pro Stock goes pretty quickly with a foot operated clutch and manual shifter.
They're a "professional" category but sanctioning body prize money barely covers fuel expenses for the tow rigs.

Current records:
Jason Line @ 6.455 ET
Erica Enders @ 215.55 MPH

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
An air powered shifter doesn't really count.

Agreed.

Apparently you’re confused as there is no “air powered shifter” in current NHRA Pro Stock cars. Only the driver's right arm.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
02SE, liberty toploaders were all the rage in Oz in the 80s.

I still love these guys

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/y86joSmEDNs?t=1m9s[/video]

Those were drivers back then. I think I heard one time that Ronnie Sox could shift a four speed faster than he could a shift a Lenco. Drag racers today time the tree and just hold on.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Those were drivers back then. I think I heard one time that Ronnie Sox could shift a four speed faster than he could a shift a Lenco. Drag racers today time the tree and just hold on.

Very true. And remember, no rev limiters or shifter lights on those things back then. They had to watch the tach, and "feather the pedal", to keep the RPM's in the specific range they needed for leaving. Then pound the throttle as they dropped the clutch, and release the "Line Lock"..... All at the same time. Leaving the starting line back then was "multi tasking" before they invented the phrase 40 years later. Now they just mash it to the floor and wait for yellow.

Even Pro Stock Bikes had no limiters. I remember seeing old videos of Terry Vance sitting on the starting line after staging, goosing the throttle open and closed on his Suzuki, waiting for amber.

Those lenco units are something else.

First time I saw one I was confused. I didn't understand how it worked. Once I dug in I thought it was really neat how they work together with each unit under driving the one in front of it.

10 minutes to rebuild a trans. Awesome.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Those lenco units are something else.

First time I saw one I was confused. I didn't understand how it worked. Once I dug in I thought it was really neat how they work together with each unit under driving the one in front of it.

10 minutes to rebuild a trans. Awesome.

IIRC, the lenco uses planetary gears similar to the gears in an automatic tranmission--at least the automatic transmissions I am familiar with (20th Century), not sure what they have in automatics these days. Henry's Model T used planetary gears too.

Most of the big motor stick shift guys I know run BBC's and NASCAR style boxes and shifters. But the real issue is TQ limits and clutch failures. It's hard on drivelines. Especially if they "dry hop" by accident. Parts go flying
frown.gif

Talking
All the <9 steel bodies I know of that have lic plates are automatics with very sophisticated converters (Coan, Freakshow, etc.) ...

Ya the NASCAR boxes only really die when you wheel-hop under braking on a road course.

After reading the drivetrain part of "Making it Faster" I wish XTrac made some transmissions that humans could afford. The ones in the Corvette Racing cars sound awesome.

I wish XTrac made some transmissions that humans could afford. The ones in the Corvette Racing cars sound awesome.

SAME HERE!!!

I would GLADLY put up with the straight cut gear 'scream', AND clanking/banging when going into 1st, in order to have a STRONG, clutch-less shifting, sequential!
smile.gif
thumbsup2.gif
19.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I wish XTrac made some transmissions that humans could afford. The ones in the Corvette Racing cars sound awesome.

SAME HERE!!!

I would GLADLY put up with the straight cut gear 'scream', AND clanking/banging when going into 1st, in order to have a STRONG, clutch-less shifting, sequential!
smile.gif
thumbsup2.gif
19.gif

I looked into the XTrac when I was searching for a replacement transmission for the Corvette back in 2011. One glance at the price, and I was done. I put a Richmond 6-speed in it with a Tilton dual-disc clutch.

Having owned two older Chevy's with factory M-21 gearboxes I did not find their whine unacceptable at all. Rather more of a satisfying mechanical feel to them.

AND a fully synchronized first gear...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back