wheel build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Building a new road bike. I picked up a few thing and started my front wheel today. Tiagra hub 36 hole sun rim and spokes. All built up going to true it tomorrow.

2nsmfx2.jpg

Which Sun rim did you use ? I just rebuilt an old wheel (20+ yrs) of mine with an ME14A. I'm very happy with it so far.

My old ('88) c'dale mountain bike wheels use Sun rims with 36 holes. I bent the axle and flattened the tire missing a curb hop, but didn't put the wheel out of true.

They are tanks !

Originally Posted By: Wheel
My old ('88) c'dale mountain bike wheels use Sun rims with 36 holes. I bent the axle and flattened the tire missing a curb hop, but didn't put the wheel out of true.

They are tanks !

That sounds pretty serious! That is in terms of what was damaged and what wasn't.

Originally Posted By: Stregone
I wish I knew how to build and true wheels. Its all voodoo magic as far as I can tell!

Lots of information online out there, as well as The Bicycle Wheel by Jobst Brandt which will give you more information than you'd ever think you needed.

Originally Posted By: Wheel
Which Sun rim did you use ? I just rebuilt an old wheel (20+ yrs) of mine with an ME14A. I'm very happy with it so far.

Look like CR-18's. I think they used to be common on mid low range XC bikes too?
I like the low end tough Sun rims, just one less thing to worry about as they just work.

Originally Posted By: Stregone
I wish I knew how to build and true wheels. Its all voodoo magic as far as I can tell!

I'm not great at it, but a few weeks ago I trued up a wheel for friends from church. They thought it was magic (as I did a few years ago).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back