Oil consumption 2006 G35

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did an oil change on my recently acquired 2006 G35 coupe about 2000 km ago. I checked the oil level this week and noticed that it was nearly at the L mark on the stick. I added about half a quart until it reached the upper end of the stick towards the H mark. This seems to me like rather excessive oil consumption. I know that the Nissan VQs in the manual transmission equipped G35s were rather problematic but I bought the automatic knowing it would be impacted by the bad engines that those had. The car has just over 100k km.

Am I being paranoid or is it reasonable to expect this level of oil consumption with this engine? I did a transmission fluid change today and there were no visible leaks underneath or on the belly pan. I'm currently using Castrol Edge 5w-30 but I've read that others have switch to the Castrol 0w-30 (Euro formula) to reduce the consumption. Am I better off using a higher mileage blend and shortening my service intervals?

Originally Posted By: mb32
Am I better off using a higher mileage blend and shortening my service intervals?

I would try a HM oil if I was experiencing that much oil consumption.

VQ35s have a propensity to burn oil. You can try a HM oil or M1 0W40. I'm running the latter right now and my VQ seems to like it. Very quiet and no consumption, even after a 2000 mile road trip.

Make sure to frequently check the oil. I've heard the oil light comes on way to late on these engines and by that time, you run the risk of engine damage.

Last edited:
If the last person ran something else..give it some time. Might take a couple OCI's. I assume you mean it used 1/2 quart in 2000kms? If yes, i dont find it to be that bad at all. I notice when I switch to a different brand ie. Pennz to mobil, the first change seems to consume more oil. Use the exact same oil on the next OCI and top up with same oil..and if on your 3rd OCI you still see usage, try a different or thicker oil.

There's a couple of classmates at school (tech school for automotive performance tuning) that have 350Z's all of their VQ35's slurp up oil as well. It's safe to say that Nissan [censored] the pooch on that engine. One of the guys was told to install an oil catch can to solve consumption issues lol (it was from a Nissan forum). I felt kinda sorry for him he argued up and down that it should have stopped the consumption, even though multiple intructors (and myself) told him otherwise.

OP said he was using 5w30 EDGE. OP is also in Canada.
I would definitely use the Castrol 0w30 to see if consumption drops.

Double benefit: 0w for cold weather and the higher HTHS/Visc to reduce consumption.

Is it a 5 quart sump?

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
OP said he was using 5w30 EDGE. OP is also in Canada.
I would definitely use the Castrol 0w30 to see if consumption drops.

Double benefit: 0w for cold weather and the higher HTHS/Visc to reduce consumption.

Is it a 5 quart sump?

Yes 5 quart or 4.7L. Seems quite small for such a large engine. Our Audi 3.0L is nearly 7L.

IF and I mean if this is the EXACT same VQ 3.5
as I have in my Altima then its 4 and 7\8 qts with a new oil filter and without a new filter its 4.5 qts. But yeah you are right its a very small capacity for this size motor. It causes the motor to get and stay fairly hot and the oil doesn't have enough time to cool off much. Plus these motors shear the oil to an extent to. If this motor burning oil it could be a possible pcv valve.. Or the rings are not good due to past poor maintenance.
It's just me but I would change the oil in the car every 3500 to 4000 miles. At least for the next two times. Then extent it out from there. I really like the Castrol w titanium in the gold bottle, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum the best in my VQ 3.5. The Castrol in the gold bottle did extremely well in the TEOST test for resistance to burn off. Which these motors do need given small capacity and short times to cool down in the sump.
I hope the OPs car is good and not having any problems due to past lack of maintainance.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
If the last person ran something else..give it some time. Might take a couple OCI's.

Exactly. Don't panic too soon and don't be jumping brand to brand if you're trying to see what's happening. And, you're quite right that a half quart in 2000 km isn't that bad. I wouldn't like it, but I've seen a lot worse. If that taxis did only that, I'd have been clicking my heels.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Switch to five forty.

No ILSAC grades?
wink.gif

As for the sump size, it isn't that bad. Look how many 5L sumps GM put out over the years for small block Chevy engines.

mb32: What interval are you planning on running? If you do have to go thicker, the GC 0w-30 is an option, as you indicated, but an expensive one. The Castrol 0w-40 is another option, that's frequently on sale at Walmart or Canadian Tire.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
If the last person ran something else..give it some time. Might take a couple OCI's.

Exactly. Don't panic too soon and don't be jumping brand to brand if you're trying to see what's happening. And, you're quite right that a half quart in 2000 km isn't that bad. I wouldn't like it, but I've seen a lot worse. If that taxis did only that, I'd have been clicking my heels.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Switch to five forty.

No ILSAC grades?
wink.gif

As for the sump size, it isn't that bad. Look how many 5L sumps GM put out over the years for small block Chevy engines.

mb32: What interval are you planning on running? If you do have to go thicker, the GC 0w-30 is an option, as you indicated, but an expensive one. The Castrol 0w-40 is another option, that's frequently on sale at Walmart or Canadian Tire.

I was going to use 8000 km intervals but that might too long for this engine given the small sump and what I've read about the oil getting too hot and shearing. If I reduce it to around 6-7k km for the first few intervals and continue to use the Edge 5w-30 that might help me determine exactly how much oil it consumes.

8,000 km is not too long for the product you're using. But, temporarily reducing for a few OCIs to see if you can get this consumption reduced is a reasonable precaution and I'd be doing the same thing.

After that, however, you can extend. The product you're using is guaranteed for 15,000 miles. If any synthetic cannot handle 8,000 km in your application, there's trouble.

Well considering my Nissan Sentra had a 1.6 L motor in it and it took 3 3\8 qts then I would have thought a motor that is a 3.5 L would have been ohhh say 5.5 or 5 3\4 qts for a much bigger motor. And the fact that my Ford Fusion motor took 5.5 qts for a 3.0 V6. So in my thinking at least I was surprised that it had a smaller capacity for a 3.5 VQ. 4 and 7\8 qts with new filter or 4.5 without is a small capacity in my opinion. Add to the fact that many people on the Nissan and Infiniti site all note how hot these VQs make oil because the oil doesn't have a long time to cool down while operating. It also makes sense to me that the newer VQs are specd for a 0w20. Because as you all know that this viscosity oil typically has more synthetic PAO in them. Better to fight off higher temps due to smaller capacity.

Heck, I even wonder if I could run a 0w20 in my car. From what I've read Castrol 0w20 has 50% or higher real synthetic base to it. Has does Mobil 1 0w20 Extended Performance. Only question I have is would this lower viscosity give enough oil pressure in my motor to protect it properly? I am not saying no. I really just am curious. If it could then I would consider running a 0w20 in the Altima. Other question is it HAS to be extremely shear resistant. Which Castrol black bottle or gold bottle w titanium 0w20 and Mobil 1 EP would likely do in my opinion. Both have such higher percentage of PAO and with very good base oils and additive packages it is something to maybe consider. But I have to learn more and ask some very knowledgeable people on here before I get froggy enough to jump on and try it.

Last edited:
The Euro ACEA A3/B3/B4 oils need to pass a shear stability, stay in grade test.

The MB 229.5 oils are even better (and always A3/B4), such as M1 or Castrol Edge 0W40. Both are heavy on PAO, high TBN and low noack. They should both handle the heat and small sump size well.

If I was worried, I would be running one of these two. If these two don't work, time for a Castrol 10W60. But I don't think a Euro 0W30, 0W40 or 5W40 will let you down.

Yeah a HDEO E7 or E9 would work well, in fact that's a harder shear stability test to past. 90 cycles for HDEO versus a mere 30 cycles for the PCMO. I feel that a shear test forces the oil manufacturers to use high quality VIIs, which is always a good thing. Same with the ACEA requiring a lower noack % to pass (compared to SN).

Over here I can buy a Castrol GTX that's both API SN and ACEA A3/B3 rated for quite minor money (relative to the local market). Or for a bit more a Magnatec thats SN & A3/B4 and still under HDEO prices.

I understand your market is almost the opposite. But I'm going to follow your lead and check out a few wholesalers one of these days.

You should check out some G35 guys online.

I had a 2005 coupe. Mostly manual trans cars consumed oil (rev-up); they had a higher redline. Some speculated the tweaked engine design was a partial contributor (maybe lower tension rings).

If you don't have a manual, there are still plenty of auto guys who had consumption. Most noted that driving style had role. I was very conservative, had about 106k miles on mine, and didn't have bad consumption (maybe 1/8 qt in 3000 miles).

The difference in the altima and g35, is that the altima Vq is made in TN, with different suppliers, and the G motor was made in Japan. Look up the difference in the forums, but they are the "same" expect for blocks (FWD mounting points vs. RWD motor mounts; intake manifold). IMO, the Japanese motors had less issues.

I don't recommend 0w30 castrol. I had a 2002 altima 3.5 that drank the stuff. I used Mobil 1 5000 regularly in my g35 with nearly 0 consumption.

Originally Posted By: SR5
I understand your market is almost the opposite. But I'm going to follow your lead and check out a few wholesalers one of these days.

Yep, things like M1 0w-40 or Castrol 0w-40 will require him to wait for a sale. At least the distributor won't make him wait.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back