Mobil 1 European Formula 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for the best VW approved oil to use in a new VW GTI with the EA888 turbo engine. Is there anything out there that would be an improvement over Mobil 1 0w-40?
I was originally planning on using Motul but I'm not sure if it's really any better than the Mobil 1 based on the UOA's that I've seen.
I'm perfectly willing to pay more for Motul or any other oil if it really is better.
Looking for opinions, preferably with UOA's to back them up.
Thanks

Originally Posted By: car51
LOL! M1 0w40 if meets your cars specs would be fine

Good point...if the oil meets the specs, what does an opinion of a stranger on the internet add?

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: LotI
18.gif

Should be in the Euro forum
A new and upcomming moderator. The posting patroller.

crackmeup2.gif

To answer the question instead of commenting as the thread police the m1 euro is tough to beat

However it's all about approvals. Castrol 0w-40 is also approved in your application and is an equal to the m1,which means you've got 2 reasonably priced Walmart options.
Motul makes a great product however in this particular application the euro options from Mobil and castrol are fantastic and there is no point in spending more money for no gain.

Porsche states that if an oil carries their certification it is equal to any other certified oil. Both the m1 0w-40 and the castrol 0w-40 carry the Porsche certification which by Porsches own engineers word that makes the, functionally equal,regardless of basestocks or additive packages.
So if you are happy with the m1 stick with it. If by chance when you are shopping the castrol euro is on sale then use the castrol. They are functionally equal which means whichever is cheaper is the right choice.

Originally Posted By: harrydog
I'm looking for the best VW approved oil to use in a new VW GTI with the EA888 turbo engine. Is there anything out there that would be an improvement over Mobil 1 0w-40?
I was originally planning on using Motul but I'm not sure if it's really any better than the Mobil 1 based on the UOA's that I've seen.
I'm perfectly willing to pay more for Motul or any other oil if it really is better.
Looking for opinions, preferably with UOA's to back them up.
Thanks

Pick a 0w40, 5w40 that is 502.00 or a 5w30 that is 504.00. APR chooses Motul 5w40, that would sway my opinion, though I am going with M1 ESP 5w30. After the warranty period, Redline 5w30 or Euro 5w30.

Last edited:
Wait.

Is this a diesel. If so neither of my recommendations are correct.

If it's a gasser both are fine

Why pay more for motul. Just because it costs more doesn't make it better and both castrol and m1 are proven products,and certified.

Paying more is fine if you can run a longer interval. Unless running a longer interval it's dumb to pay more.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Originally Posted By: LotI
18.gif

Should be in the Euro forum

I see you are in America's Dairyland; this explains why you are having a cow.
It is a horse
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Edge 0w-40 is even cheaper than M1 0w-40 at Walmart or on Amazon...both are excellent oils

If you include the $12 Mobil 1 rebate in effect through October 31st, the Mobil 1 is much cheaper ($3/qt). There are always seems to be some deal out there to take advantage of at oil change time.

Originally Posted By: kr_bitog
My buttdino said for motul synthetic line have better fm compared to m1

Aren't we lucky that's specific to you.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: kr_bitog
My buttdino said for motul synthetic line have better fm compared to m1

Complete and utter nonsense.
M1 uses their own tri-nuclear moly in the m1 line of products and it is the absolute cutting edge. They own with shell infinium,which formulates and sells additive packages to blenders so motul being just a blender likely doesn't have access to the stuff infinium(shell/Mobil)has for themselves,so this nonsense that you can tell they have better or more slick friction modifiers is preposterous.
You are today's winner though.

Wow. This is a tough group. Not like the old days here on the forum. I'm always amused by the people who think a thread is worthless and a waste of time yet they contribute to it.
I appreciate the answers that actually tried to answer my question though.
I know the Mobil 1 is good and I know the argument that if it has the VW approvals that's all that matters, but approvals don't always translate into real world results. Important for warranty claims of course.
The fact is the EA888 direct injection turbo is hard on oil and has problems with intake deposits. The UOA's I've seen on this engine are all over the place. Some good, some not so good, regardless of the oil.
Terry Dyson thinks that RLI will help with deposits because it provides a better ring seal and thus reduces blow by but I haven't seen any UOA's for that oil in this application.
I was hoping that there might be some out there who had first hand experience with an oil that gave them consistently good results in this engine.

but approvals don't always translate into real world results.

That's the entire purpose of the approvals, they are tested (generally) in the engine or engine family they are spec'd for and the results of that testing determines if the oil is approved or not.

Now this isn't always the case, some companies just build off of the API standards and make them more difficult (Ford for example) but since this is the Euro section, most, perhaps all of the Euro approval/certification protocols involve running the product in an actual engine followed by tear-down inspection to gauge performance, you don't get much more "real world results" than that
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
but approvals don't always translate into real world results.

That's the entire purpose of the approvals, they are tested (generally) in the engine or engine family they are spec'd for and the results of that testing determines if the oil is approved or not.

Now this isn't always the case, some companies just build off of the API standards and make them more difficult (Ford for example) but since this is the Euro section, most, perhaps all of the Euro approval/certification protocols involve running the product in an actual engine followed by tear-down inspection to gauge performance, you don't get much more "real world results" than that
wink.gif

Well does that mean that oil can not exceed the minimum requirements needed to meet the approvals?
By no means am I implying that the approvals are worthless. Far from it. But just because an oil has gotten the approval from a manufacturer doesn't mean that it is the best oil you can get for that application. There are differences among oils that meet the same specs. For example some oils are already good enough to meet the next generation of manufacturers specs while others will need to be reformulated in order to meet them.

Well does that mean that oil can not exceed the minimum requirements needed to meet the approvals?

Of course not. An oil could do significantly better than the limits of the test and get approved. The purpose is that it at least meets those requirements. Overachievement isn't an issue.

By no means am I implying that the approvals are worthless. Far from it. But just because an oil has gotten the approval from a manufacturer doesn't mean that it is the best oil you can get for that application.

No, but it DOES mean that the oil has been tested and approved for being suitable for that application, which is a heck of a lot better of a start than somebody's marketing claim that it "should" be better
wink.gif

There are differences among oils that meet the same specs. For example some oils are already good enough to meet the next generation of manufacturers specs while others will need to be reformulated in order to meet them.

This is true, and that's why it is nice to look at an oil that has a myriad of approvals, all of which you know are demanding, as a way of perhaps divining some insight into this.

However, one also must consider that if oil "A" exceeds the performance requirements for your engine, what advantages are you going to see from running oil "B", which exceeds them by a bit more?

That is, if oil "A" is approved and will allow your engine to run happily well past the life of the chassis it is fitted in, the transmission it is mated to and on into the wrecking yard, is concerning yourself over how much better "B" might be over "A" relevant?
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back