Dealership 'Free Oil Changes for Life'

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 2012 we purchased a 2012 Accord 2.4L which we really enjoy for the price point. One of the selling points is our local dealer includes free oil changes for life. Yesterday I took it in for an oil change and the service was quick and friendly, I asked what type of bulk oil they use...one tech said Pennzoil synthetic blend and a second said Honda synthetic blend, so I have no idea what they are using and clearly neither do they. This really isn't an issue, because I'm a bitoger, I pulled the car up on ramps when I got home just to take a look at how the under carriage looked, unfortunately there was oil dripping from the oil filter, oil was all over the oil pan and transmission oil pan. Took me 15 minutes to clean with brake cleaner and got me to thinking, I usually change my own oil and reasons like this are encouraging me to no longer look at lifetime free oil changes as a value. It really should be but lazy tech's have me shaking my head.

Based on what you know, would you continue to use free oil changes not knowing which type of 0W20 oil they are using and knowing they are going to get oil everywhere and not clean it up OR would you change your oil yourself?

Thanks,
George

Last edited:
Probably change it myself just to avoid the situation you described. Although, some on this board living in saltier locales would welcome the complimentary undercoating!

Originally Posted By: Georgiey22
Based on what you know, would you continue to use free oil changes not knowing which type of 0W20 oil they are using and knowing they are going to get oil everywhere and not clean it up OR would you change your oil yourself?

Easy. Free oil changes.

We're a quirky bunch here, and analyze this stuff to death. However, whatever they're using has to meet current minimum standards (manufacturer), and those are of sufficiently high quality nowadays to keep your engine from suffering any lubrication related issues (given adherence to recommended OCI, normal operating conditions, etc.)

Free oil changes yes.
Just inspect level and leakage after they are done.
Even mark the old oil filter with paint to check they actually changed the oil filter, or are Hondas only changing oil filters every other time??

I don't have much faith in these services. I questioned a free lifetime oil changes at a Toyota dealer and it was every 10,000 miles, regardless of time. They didn't know what oil they were using either. They said whatever it calls for. I would think a dealership thinks in terms of life of the car, till you trade it in. So you really think they are caring about the entire life of the car or just three years down the road. Good if you trade every three years.

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
Free oil changes yes.
Just inspect level and leakage after they are done.
Even mark the old oil filter with paint to check they actually changed the oil filter, or are Hondas only changing oil filters every other time??

Don't forget to check whether they stripped the drain pan bolt and or oil filter mounting threads.

Originally Posted By: Georgiey22
In 2012 we purchased a 2012 Accord 2.4L which we really enjoy for the price point. One of the selling points is our local dealer includes free oil changes for life. Yesterday I took it in for an oil change and the service was quick and friendly, I asked what type of bulk oil they use...one tech said Pennzoil synthetic blend and a second said Honda synthetic blend, so I have no idea what they are using and clearly neither do they. This really isn't an issue, because I'm a bitoger, I pulled the car up on ramps when I got home just to take a look at how the under carriage looked, unfortunately there was oil dripping from the oil filter, oil was all over the oil pan and transmission oil pan. Took me 15 minutes to clean with brake cleaner and got me to thinking, I usually change my own oil and reasons like this are encouraging me to no longer look at lifetime free oil changes as a value. It really should be but lazy tech's have me shaking my head.

Thanks,
George

I told my dealership to keep the free oil changes and the free NYS inspections for life. Just the fact that the people working on your car don't know what products they're using and left a mess for you to clean up reinforces what I already know. Are all shops bad? No, there are some fantastic shops, finding one is the key, and I don't have the time, nor the desire. As long as I'm able to do most of my repair work I will continue to do so. If I need a good shop I know of one and will use them. Dealership service departments, no thanks, unless it is a warranty job and I have no choice.

No need for stripped oil pan threads, engine over filled with oil, tech leaving oily mess, dirty hand prints inside car...etc...

I doubt a dealership has their techs doing oil changes. The company I worked for hired PM guys who would go out to customers places and service the forklifts . When it got slow they were laid off and the mechanics would do the service contracts and the customers would ask us why the other guy [pm guys] didn't lube the chains, blow off the dirt,check the diff oil clean the battery terminals etc. All I could say is I do what I and supposed to do ,look at your contract.

You want to ask someone in parts what oil they use for bulk. Usually we are the ones that write the Purchase Orders for the oil supplier and get to see their invoices. I know that based on the receipts from our vendor that all of the oil in our shop is genuine Motorcraft, except for the Castrol Edge 0W20 or Idemitsu 0W20 we get from Mazda.

If you're getting a synthetic blend, then you aren't getting 0w20. 0w20 oils are 99% of the time a full synthetic.

Those dealer lube techs are under pressure to get the oil changed in 15 minutes flat. During that 15 minutes, they also have to lube the chassis, clean the windshield, and vacuum the interior. It's rush rush rush rush.

You get what you pay for.

If you require 0w20, I'd definitely make sure that they gave you a 0w20, and not bulk 5w20 or 5w30.

0w20's blends are available and slightly cheaper than full synthetic 0w20 when bought/refilled in bulk. Isn't Conoco(phillips66/kendall/...) the US supplier for Ford and Honda?

08798-9036.jpg

Havoline blend 0w20

Motorcraft

Pennzoil blend 0w-20

You can let the dealer change the oil. Your car will not blow up by letting the dealer perform this service, regardless of what the amateur mechanics say on BITOG.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
LIfetime....or until the dealer folds.

Gee.He bought a Honda....assuming from a Honda dealer. I haven't seen too many of those go out of business lately.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
You want to ask someone in parts what oil they use for bulk. Usually we are the ones that write the Purchase Orders for the oil supplier and get to see their invoices. I know that based on the receipts from our vendor that all of the oil in our shop is genuine Motorcraft, except for the Castrol Edge 0W20 or Idemitsu 0W20 we get from Mazda.

I agree. The technicians don't have the info of which brand he is using, he only know that he is using the correct grade according to the work order and/or the computer, only the ones in the right dept, in this case part dept, have this info.

My daughter 2014 Accord had 30k/2yrs free oil changes at dealer, she had the last free oil change few weeks ago(mileage was 28,xxx miles), she didn't have any problem with any and all oil changes.

I believe for any 1 problem with oil change at any dealer there was more than 1000 successful ones. The problem is the ones that had successful oil changes didn't post anything about about, but the ones with problem(s) do complain loudly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back