What Grease do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Unfortunately, we don't dissect grease like we do oil here.

Grease color has no bearing on quality, but many get the impression that red, green, or blue is better than tan.

I like to know whats available out there, what you use, to broaden my horizon.

I think it depends on your applications. Colors do matter. I have had good luck with the Wolfs Head red grease for auto applications. I use the Castrol blue grease on my atvs for water resistance. I can tell you I used the Dark Gray, Pennzoil EP (Extreme Pressure) grease when we had big trucks and that stuff is incredibly sticky to the point its aggravating to deal with. We had little wear issues with it though.

Mopar Multi Mile for ball joints and tie rod ends,Lucas Red & Tacky for equipment use.

My pick is Deere SD Polyurea.

– High-temperature, extreme-pressure grease.
– Ideal in rolling-contact applications.
– –15 to 380 degrees F (–26 to 193 degrees C).
– Used for initial lubrication at the factory in U-joints and axle bearings.
– Factory-fill grease for most AG equipment.
– For excellent protection in corrosive and wet conditions.
– Compatible with most other types of grease.
– Thixotropic (thins to a gear oil when hard at work and thickens when at rest).
– Excellent for all-purpose applications, especially those requiring a severe-duty grease.
Our best multi-purpose grease.

https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/document/english/featbene/DKD1801OilGuide.pdf

Schaeffers 238 for ball joints, tie rods, idler arms and other slow moving high stress applications like bucket and king pins.
Mobil 1 synthetic for wheel bearings and u joints.
Redline CV grease for CV axle joints.
Molykote Gn for metal bushings.

Last edited:
Texas Refinery 880 Crown & Chassis in everything. If they ever quit making it, I will go back to Schaeffer 221. Both handle moisture much better than any lithium complex grease.

Polyurea greases are fantastic in a lot of industrial applications, but I have yet to be impressed with their performance in excavation equipment or anything that works in a lot of moisture.

Valvoline Synpower. Might not be the most cost effective, but has very broad compatibility as a lithium complex while offering superior temp range and a moderate amount of moly.

Works well for me!

Mystik JT-6 Hi-Temp with Moly / EP-2 grease for the slip joints (4 x 4 drivetrain and leaf springs and pivot points on my snow plows. All the other joints (u-joint, ball, tie rod, shifter linkages) gets Mystik JT-6 Hi-Temp #2 grease. Easy to find this grease in my area and always priced below other major brands.

Great...awesome. Lot more selection to look at and determine which brand I want to go with on each component/section.

I pretty much use one grease for most everything from my JD zero turn mower to my pickup, to my ag tractor, to my semi truck. Schaeffer 274. I suppose I could tweak out a specific grease for differently applications, but this one does a pretty good job across the board. I'm not sure I wouldn't go goofy having a half dozen different grease guns lying around for specific applications.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
I pretty much use one grease for most everything from my JD zero turn mower to my pickup, to my ag tractor, to my semi truck. Schaeffer 274. I suppose I could tweak out a specific grease for differently applications, but this one does a pretty good job across the board. I'm not sure I wouldn't go goofy having a half dozen different grease guns lying around for specific applications.

Yeah that what I was going with too, why have 4 different greases when one or two fits the bill.

Also I looked up Amsoil grease but will never buy anything with their name on it. The most recent is that they just found out about calcium sulfonate and its now in all their grease. The aluminum complex base is more water resistant than the calcium sulfonate.

So after looking up each one that was posted, compared them, and I decide to go with 2.

Schaeffer 274 #2 for everything, Redline CV for CV axle joints, U-joints, wheel bearings.

Originally Posted By: 285south
Also I looked up Amsoil grease but will never buy anything with their name on it. The most recent is that they just found out about calcium sulfonate and its now in all their grease. The aluminum complex base is more water resistant than the calcium sulfonate.

What? Not all Amsoil greases are calcium sulfonate based. Yes in some cases aluminum complex grease is more water resistant, but the way you state it, anything not aluminum complex grease will wash out with 2 drops of rain. Plus not all applications are good with aluminum complex greases.

Originally Posted By: 285south

I have a difficult time comprehending how someone ostensibly starts a thread to learn about grease, and walks away with those conclusions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back