TDI Injectors/Nozzles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2003 Jetta TDI @ 294k miles with original nozzles and injectors. Car has been running a bit on the rough side and recent UOAs have been awful. From my research, the nozzles could probably stand to be replaced. Can I get by with just replacing them, or do I need to do the injectors at the same time?

Last edited:
easy-button~s800x800.jpg

Have you tried a quality diesel additive?

Originally Posted By: outoforder
I have a 2003 Jetta TDI with original nozzles and injectors. Car has been running a bit on the rough side and recent UOAs have been awful. From my research, the nozzles could probably stand to be replaced. Can I get by with just replacing them, or do I need to do the injectors at the same time?

Shoot Trav a pm and ask. He'll let you know.

I have done Liqui-Moly Diesel Purge as well as ran 45 gallons of B20 through the engine. No change.

If you have done diesel purge then yes, I'd repair

You should not only replace the nozzles, but also have them pop tested, so they release at the appropriate pressure. Then they can be balanced and operate correctly.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

You should not only replace the nozzles, but also have them pop tested, so they release at the appropriate pressure. Then they can be balanced and operate correctly.

On a common rail diesel? Really?

Without knowing your entire story, I have a feeling there's significantly more going on here than an injector issue...camshaft replacement time.

What are the used oil analysis results. If high fuel the. You might have an injector problem however if you're looking at really high wear metals(when compared to trended data when new) you may have bigger problems.
The cams are a known wear issue and if your used oil analysis are consistent with the metallurgy of the cams you are looking at replacement.

Here is the link to the UOA.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3849764/03_Jetta_TDI_@_7044_Rotella_5w#Post3849764

There isn't any fuel, but plenty of iron, potassium, and soot.

Last edited:
I have a 2003 Jetta TDI @ 294k miles with original nozzles and injectors. Car has been running a bit on the rough side and recent UOAs have been awful. From my research, the nozzles could probably stand to be replaced. Can I get by with just replacing them, or do I need to do the injectors at the same time?

You can just replace the nozzles on your existing injector body. It can be a DIY job.

for the most part, there are 2 stock sizes, one for a manual tranny (.205 microns) and a different one for the automatic (.185 microns)... (drawing from memory)
You can upgrade to a certain point without a tune. Maybe a IQ adjustment if needed.

i think www.kermatdi.com offers a full replacement with core charge option.

Originally Posted By: Brad_C
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

On a common rail diesel? Really?

2003 TDI's were not common rail

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

You can just replace the nozzles on your existing injector body. It can be a DIY job.

for the most part, there are 2 stock sizes, one for a manual tranny (.205 microns) and a different one for the automatic (.185 microns)... (drawing from memory)
You can upgrade to a certain point without a tune. Maybe a IQ adjustment if needed.

i think www.kermatdi.com offers a full replacement with core charge option.

UGPassat has it dead on.

Send each one to Kerma to have the new nozzles installed and pop tested/balanced. While DIY nozzle replacement isn't hard you can't test them until they are back on the engine.

Take the valvecover off and check the cam as well, easy and takes 10 mins. ALH's are not the cam eating monsters a BEW engine can be but as they age the cam can come apart slowly. Usually poor running is the result of that.

Do you have a membership to the TDIclub forums? That might be the best place to get advice, and possibly photos that help you do the repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back