Cordless impact wrench with adjustable torque

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the market to buy a good impact wrench which has torque adjustment.

My budget is no more than $300.

I have an electric rated for 300 lbs and that is not ideal for smaller torque bolts or even wheel lugs

Any recommendations on what to buy.

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy

Stop trying to save pennies here. You've already wasted money on a cheap elecric. Get an impact that's going to get the job done.

IR W7150 is $390 on Amazon with free shipping. Two batteries, charger, and case included.

780 ft-lb reverse torque, 1100 ft-lb nut-busting torque, which is identical to their 2135TiMAX air impact.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

780 ft-lb reverse torque, 1100 ft-lb nut-busting torque, which is identical to their 2135TiMAX air impact.

I don't need these torque seriously I don't own a big rig.
On my car/SUV the max torque ever in a vehicle is on the axle nuts and that is 230lb.

Your electric impact should work just fine on lug nuts. If you want a relatively inexpensive cordless model checkout the Craftsman C3 heavy duty impact kit that's on sale this week for $159.

On my car/SUV the max torque ever in a vehicle is on the axle nuts and that is 230lb.

Yet you currently have one rated @ 300ft-lb that's not getting the job done acceptably.

Good luck with whatever you get.

Yet you currently have one rated @ 300ft-lb that's not getting the job done acceptably.

Yes I do know that, the 300 ft-lb is crazy on say a caliper bolt. That is why I am looking for a good adjustable torque wrench, buying the one you recommended is mind-numbing as it would break a bolt that is intended to take no more than 40 ft-lb. In my autos as I said there is nothing more than 230 ft-lb, I can safely use it without any fear of over torquing the bolts. With an adjustable one all the better since most of the bolts on my vehicles are less than 70 ft-lb

Milwalkee's Fuel line offers some impact wrenches with adjustable RPM/IPM (impacts per minute). For smaller bolts I would use a cordless 3/8" impact.

Yes I do know that, the 300 ft-lb is crazy on say a caliper bolt. That is why I am looking for a good adjustable torque wrench, buying the one you recommended is mind-numbing as it would break a bolt that is intended to take no more than 40 ft-lb. In my autos as I said there is nothing more than 230 ft-lb, I can safely use it without any fear of over torquing the bolts. With an adjustable one all the better since most of the bolts on my vehicles are less than 70 ft-lb
i never use an impact wrench to fully tighten fasteners; I'll use it to run them down but prefer to hand tighten or use a torque wrench set to the proper torque.

Last edited:
You're trying to pull of a one-size fits all approach here. Unfortunately, that works poorly.

Secondly, the "mind-numbing" W7150 torque is a MAXIMUM value; additionally, it's equipped with a variable speed switch.

I bought a Milwaukee 2655-20 for $125, tool only since I had the battery . It has 3 torque settings up to 210 lbs and its light and compact. I also bought a 12/18 volt combo charger on amazon for $16. CPO Milwaukee is also an option. Consider buying individual pieces since the kits are pricey.Milwaukee also makes this in 3/8, something else to consider

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kira
Been using a DeWalt compact at work lately. Sorry, no model number.

Sears has their "$10 off $50 or more sale" now. Worth checking out.

I have one of the small DeWalt 12v models, not a torque monster but makes dissembly and reassembly a breeze... The little guy is tough as nails, a friend has been using one daily at his shop for around three years(saw his is why I bought mine)..

Also have a pneumatic 1/2" drive that does the bigger work, have no use for anything that could be used to drive a oil well...

Last edited:
Most good ones have "variable trigger". If you are looking to use the impact to TIGHTEN bolts, just don't.

Do not buy an impact wrench unless it does have variable trigger. Some might claim it but the trigger might not have a good control. You want something which has good travel and control over the trigger.

+1 on not trying to final tighten with an impact. You will break a lot of bolts that way even with the impact set on "low". Spin them on until they first stop, then final tighten by hand-- with a torque wrench for critical applications.

And since there's no such thing as over-loosening a bolt, 1100 ft-lb is suitable for any loosening situation. Just watch out for left-handed bolts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back