Can't find the leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2005 Honda Odyssey. About two months ago I change the oil with Pennzoil platinum 5W 20. Recently I've noticed tiny little spots of oil barely larger than a pin head on the floor. I always wipe them up and within a couple of weeks there are a few more again. I can't seem to find any leak around the filter or the drain plug. Vehicle has 120,000 miles on it. I always used regular Valvoline conventional before. This is its first time on synthetic. i'm wondering if I need to switch to a high mileage oil? After two months I thought any residual oil that may have gotten on the frame and the dripping off would be gone by now? any advice?

Are you certain it's engine oil on the floor? Could it be something else? PS fluid, perhaps?

You need to find the source of the leak before choosing how to stop it...

It's time to sell the Honda and buy a new Odyssey for $40K to have a warranty.

I'd use Valvoline MaxLife on your next oil change. If you park where you can place a piece of cardboard under the vehicle such as a garage, I'd do that also.

If you decide to switch away from conventional oil after 120k miles, I recommend a syn-blend or full syn high mileage oil. My favorites are Maxlife blend or Mobil 1 HM. And yes, you will need to identify if engine oil or PS fluid or trans fluid, which can all look about the same on the garage floor.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
It's time to sell the Honda and buy a new Odyssey for $40K to have a warranty.

I'd use Valvoline MaxLife on your next oil change. If you park where you can place a piece of cardboard under the vehicle such as a garage, I'd do that also.
Sounds good, you know Americans are car payment crazy, we love debt, we love debt, Hoorah....ok, Im over it....

Originally Posted By: Jake777
I have a 2005 Honda Odyssey. About two months ago I change the oil with Pennzoil platinum 5W 20. Recently I've noticed tiny little spots of oil barely larger than a pin head on the floor. I always wipe them up and within a couple of weeks there are a few more again. I can't seem to find any leak around the filter or the drain plug. Vehicle has 120,000 miles on it. I always used regular Valvoline conventional before. This is its first time on synthetic. i'm wondering if I need to switch to a high mileage oil? After two months I thought any residual oil that may have gotten on the frame and the dripping off would be gone by now? any advice?

Prior to switching to PP, were there ANY leaks of ANY kind? If not and the engine is now leaking oil then the PP has most likely uncovered a sludge deposit and opened up a leak.
If it were mine I would have switched to VML.
thumbsup2.gif

The VML full synthetic is good stuff, it has completely stopped a rear main leak on the Jeep XJ in my sig. PP is good too, it just isn't an HM oil (although I hear there is a PP HM available).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back