? re: using 2 cycle oil for UCL

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrQuackers

Site Donor 2024
I was at O'Reilly and saw Valvoline motorcycle 2 stroke oil on clearance. It is rated Jaso FC. I use TCW3 rated oil for UCL. Is the Jaso FC rating superior to TCW3?

The TCW-3 is ashless, and as such is much preferred for water cooled engines which operate at lower temperatures than those that are air cooled, which is primarily what the FC rating is for. Stick to the TCW-3 and you'll be just fine. If you use a FC rated oil in a water cooled engine you could see some deposit formations after some use. I speak from over 40 years of 2-cycle engine operation.

Originally Posted By: 29662
The TCW-3 is ashless, and as such is much preferred for water cooled engines which operate at lower temperatures than those that are air cooled, which is primarily what the FC rating is for. Stick to the TCW-3 and you'll be just fine. If you use a FC rated oil in a water cooled engine you could see some deposit formations after some use. I speak from over 40 years of 2-cycle engine operation.

What would you recommend for a Rotax 518 water cooled engine used on an
Ultralight plane? If you have a brand name preference, I'd appreciate
that also.

Last edited:
http://www.legendperformance.com/technical-info/

Quote:

So today, we have NMMA TC-W3, API TA, TB, TC, JASO FA, FB, FC and ISO ISO-L-EGD classifications for 2T lubricants. Any oil you select for your snowmobile must and should fall into the minimum TC-W3 rating as noted on the container. Higher quality petroleum and synthetics 2T oils will be classified as API TB, TC, JASO FB, FC or ISO-L-EGD types.

so tc-w3 is like the API rating for motor oils: the bare minimum... all other classifications are on top of TC-W3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back