Hybrids bad for long-term US economy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sort of depends on the hybrid, the more I dig into this...
Got some decent info here, of all places:
http://www.firehouse.com/extrication/archives/2001/july01.html
...though it is third-party and subject to inaccuracy.

The new Prius is prismatic.
 -

Insight uses NiMH that are the same shape as a regular D cell.
 -

Panasonic sticks (they make a few different kinds, evidently) look like regular D cells but I think they are a bit different.
http://www.peve.panasonic.co.jp/catalog/e_maru.html
 -

http://www.peve.panasonic.co.jp/catalog/e_maru.html

File name: WaterFuel.wmv
File size: 3030kb
File type: video/x-ms-wmv
Scan result: No virus threat detected
Not sure if you can access this but if the government would allow this, as they use it in Humvees in Iraq now,we could save the whole world.Its the oil companys that are the cause and the governments that support them. 100 miles on 4 oz of water.

quote:

Originally posted by jmacmaster:
Nobody really knows the cost of replacement batteries, because the cars haven't been around long enough for anyone to have had to replace the batteries. Estimates range from $2,000 to $6,000, with most estimates being in the $2-3,000 range. I'm not optimistic, given the insane prices for car parts, especially the parts you absolutely have to have, and the fact that they'll have you over a barrel when you need new batteries.

As to the claimed mpg of various vehicles, I'd be rich if I had a buck for every ridiculous mpg claim that I've heard. My favorite is the number of guys I know running full-size pickups with big diesels who claim the mid to high 20's while pulling a trailer with a 6-12,000 lb. loaded weight. Yeah, sure. I'm convinced that a lot of people are either flat out lying, in denial, or have no idea how to properly measure mpg and use a totally worthless measurement such as how many miles they get before their tank is almost empty, or is on empty, or etc.

Years ago, I decided not to believe anything I was told about somebody's gas millage or sex life.

Anyone who gets Autoweek saw the MPG comparison they did between the Toyota Hybrid, Corvette, TDI and another car that I cannot remember. The Jetta TDI scored over 50MPG repeatedly.

I drive 220+ miles a day and am strongly considering purchasing that vehicle within the next year.
grin.gif

As for hybrids... my co-worker's Toyota hybrid is still getting 45mpg at best. To this day he wishes he kept his 30MPG small truck.
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by oilyriser:
Shutting off the motor while coasting down hills would help a lot. (with electric brakes and steering)

Depending on RPMs some engines do shut off the injectors during coasting, and those of us who play with reprogramming our cars can tinker further with this. But not a lot of cars have computers as easily reprogrammed as mine.

Another BIG issue is EPA manadtes are set on purely PPM at leaner AFRs emmissions PPM can go up but total volume goes down. A couple friends are playing with lean burn highway stuff already hidden in his cars computer from the factory. One drives hard but still beats the EPA ratings for the car and recently passed a sniffer emmissions test, both are pulling high 20s out of V8 cars one being over 4000lbs without driver. That bit of code is already in the pcm because the OEMs know how to do things right, beurocrats and accountants get in their way though.

I get 50+ mpg from my diesel Jetta. Anybody who does not believe me is more than welcome to pay for a roadtrip with me to prove it to them. Only rule is that we don't stop unless we need fuel (750+miles) and there is no peeing on my leather.

Interesting look at the Prius battery.

Prius Battery https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel%E2%80%93metal_hydride_battery#/media/File:Ni-MH_Battery_01.JPG

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DriveHard
I get 50+ mpg from my diesel Jetta. Anybody who does not believe me is more than welcome to pay for a roadtrip with me to prove it to them. Only rule is that we don't stop unless we need fuel (750+miles) and there is no peeing on my leather.

same with my car. up to 60 MPG I've had it, and thats with AC on. With less interference from other traffic I can do even better as at a constant 45 mph I get 90+ MPG, but then any wind or the slightest incline drives up the consumption, so that's under near ideal conditions.

All values converted to US MPG.

To revive an old thread...

Our new 2016 Prius will get in the high 50s just driving normal and if we're good we can get in the high 60s.

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
It's official we should all buy Chevy 1957 convertible
That would work!

Yes, seen this repeatedly from my brother's golf tdi.

That's not going to work !!!

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
OK, so the real problem here is that we are importing cars that we should be building here.

The real problem is twofold:
A) people that should be listening are talking
B) people that are getting in the way of people trying to do/build stuff.

The real problem is that all these discussion never take in the whole life cycle cost of the vehicle in question. From raw ore to recycled, what does a Prius cost (assuming one battery replacement for the 3rd owner).

You wanna save the planet, buy a used car and care for it well. Keep it out the wrecking yard. Recycling starts at home
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back