When will my tires stop squirming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two pages of responses and no one has suggested that you check your tire pressure!!??

I installed a set of Firestone's on a Saturn and they were super "squirmy", just like you advise, when ran at the factory recommended pressure of 28 PSI. What ended up fixing the "squirminess" was bumping the tire pressure. I ran them at 36 PSI and they ran fine after that.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Two pages of responses and no one has suggested that you check your tire pressure!!??

I installed a set of Firestone's on a Saturn and they were super "squirmy", just like you advise, when ran at the factory recommended pressure of 28 PSI. What ended up fixing the "squirminess" was bumping the tire pressure. I ran them at 36 PSI and they ran fine after that.
Discount Tire had them set to 32 psi, pumping them up to 40 psi didn't make much difference.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Discount Tire had them set to 32 psi, pumping them up to 40 psi didn't make much difference.

Keep going. 50, 60, and 70 PSI are right around the corner.

Thanks, I'll try those next!

I got new General Altimax RT43s on Friday and have done about 150 miles on them so far. I really like them because they're extremely quiet and smooth but they squirm around when turning the steering wheel a lot while driving and don't feel so great on hard turns. I've heard that deep tread when tires are new can make the tires feel a little squirmy.

It feels like the steering wheel is connected to the rack and pinion with a rubber band. It's not awful or anything but definitely noticeable.

When touching these tire's tread, I can easily move it around with my fingers, they're very squishy tires. I had the same tires put on the 1970 Beetle and they're the same to the touch, don't know how they feel driving since that car drives like a washing machine regardless.

So when will they calm down and stop squirming?

I'm still very happy with them and got a great deal on them. It's a gutless old Camry, I'm not going to be racing it or anything
crackmeup2.gif

When you wear them down so there is less tread height to flex, maybe around 6/32".... they'll stop squirming.

Maybe a HPAS tire will squirm less.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
There are several causes of squirm with new tires. Yes treadblock height is one, but for brand new tires, more than the tread depth is the release oils as well as the little rubber nubs that you are actually driving on before the treads actually bed down to your alignment.
Driving on those nubs or fresh treadblocks will be like driving on ball bearings.

These will greatly affect the squirm more than the treadblocks themselves.

Tirerack and practice say you need 500miles to get past that stage.

If after 500miles you're still in squirm state, then you're at the tire's actual performance which will should be the same at least 10k
+1 It's also a lesson that not all tires provide the same performance. Insofar as "it's a Camry" goes, the right tire and rim width, a front strut tower brace, and good struts will make the car stick quite well without trashing the ride. 205 60 15 is a nice compromise.

I think a sarc alert is needed here. If 40 doesn't help, 50 or 60 will round the tread and reduce the contact patch, and the struts will not be able to keep the rock hard tires from bouncing off the pavement as much as they are touching it. IF your ABS comes on when stopping hard on a bumpy road, you probably have too much air.

Last edited:
Slip angle, which determines how direct the steering is, for example, and how it behaves in turns, is a result of belt and sidewall design, material, and construction, with the trade off being response and control vs ride. Tread compound affects grip and wear as well. Inflating a tire up past the max pressure on the sidewall doesn't help and may cause damage to the tire and rim when encountering a pothole or other "obstruction. There IS a reason for the maker putting a max pressure on the sidewall.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

I think a sarc alert is needed here. If 40 doesn't help, 50 or 60 will round the tread and reduce the contact patch, and the struts will not be able to keep the rock hard tires from bouncing off the pavement as much as they are touching it. IF your ABS comes on when stopping hard on a bumpy road, you probably have too much air.
I know, I was being sarcastic as well
grin2.gif

They're a 51 psi max tire which is why I wasn't concerned with putting them up to 40

Well I've put 1,400 miles on the new tires in the last 2 1/2 weeks. The squirming has improved but isn't gone, but I'm still very happy with the tires. About as smooth and quiet as can be.

Part of the process is you getting used to the new tires..

After 6 months you wont remember the old tires so much.

Of course these tires arent marketed as performance so if you want more performance maybe next set step up to a UHP type tire

Originally Posted By: Rand
Part of the process is you getting used to the new tires..

After 6 months you wont remember the old tires so much.

Of course these tires arent marketed as performance so if you want more performance maybe next set step up to a UHP type tire
Yeah, I posted about it because I thought it was strange, since I got new Pirelli Cinturato P7s on my VW 9 months ago and they were fantastic from the get-go.

A lot sportier tires yes.

My car came with Pirelli P7 cinturato aswell.

They're marketed as a fuel saving tyre here... But I like'm. Not supersport, but much better than a hankook optimo etc in any weather.

Lasted surprisingly long aswell. I had goodyear eagle f1 gsd3 on my previous car which lasted only 10k, I'm going to get 36k out of the pirelli's..

I had the same tires put on my dad's 2012 Camry LE and haven't noticed any squirm. I thought they seemed super hard but this was in January right after being installed. I've driven it once a week lately in the nice weather here and they seem much better, very smooth like a Michelin but at a better price. Tires have about 8k on them.

When I first installed my Continental TrueContacts they squirmed for about 1500 miles.

I found going from 32psi to 40psi helped a ton in the "feel" of the tires.

32psi was just too soft for the tires, 40psi they shine.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic

They're marketed as a fuel saving tyre here... But I like'm. Not supersport, but much better than a hankook optimo etc in any weather.

Lasted surprisingly long aswell. I had goodyear eagle f1 gsd3 on my previous car which lasted only 10k, I'm going to get 36k out of the pirelli's..

except: many times the oem tires are not the same as aftermarket tires with the same name.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: Jetronic

except: many times the oem tires are not the same as aftermarket tires with the same name.

I'm getting Michelin Crossclimate next, so it doesn't matter.

Recently replaced Cooper CS4 185-60 x 15 with General RT43 175-65 x 15 on a Sunbeam Alpine. No power steering, which was the main reason for the change. Steering effort was just too high.

The squirm was so bad steering return was nil. Almost ran onto the sidewalk while turning the corner a block from the tire store. Steering was wild - big delay then Bam! Also was prone to taking excursions toward the other lane or ditch. White knuckle city. Initially, the situation improved fairly rapidly, but the car was not solid and predictable until somewhere around 3,000 miles.

Oh, BTW, steering is very light.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back