Mobil 1 delvac le 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always wondered what the attraction is to Delvac Elite 10w-30 over Delvac 1300 10w-30. The latter should be cheaper, or maybe I'm mistaken and the difference is negligible. The synthetic blend does have a slightly higher TBN and a couple extra specs, but not a huge difference. The Delvac 1300 10w-30 is dual rated, whereas the Delvac Elite 10w-30 lacks the SM rating for some reason.

SM rating? I thought we were in the HDEO oil section of the forum. Silly me. I was not aware that any diesel OEM was recommending SM oil. I thought most of them were well into the CJ-4 game.

As for how it compares to the 1300 10w30, have no clue. I use neither. I am just commenting that I am seeing the Elite 10w30 blend offered as an option at more and more major truck lube locations. It must be developing a strong following. Most of those locations are not into offering low volume niche oils.

Hi,

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
SM rating? I thought we were in the HDEO oil section of the forum. Silly me. I was not aware that any diesel OEM was recommending SM oil. I thought most of them were well into the CJ-4 game.

As for how it compares to the 1300 10w30, have no clue. I use neither. I am just commenting that I am seeing the Elite 10w30 blend offered as an option at more and more major truck lube locations. It must be developing a strong following. Most of those locations are not into offering low volume niche oils.

I've been using the lubricant that is the subject of this Thread - Delvac 1 LE 5W-30.

It is fully fledged HDEO with API CJ4/SN ratings - JASO DH2, and ACEA E6, E7, and E9 ratings too.
It has 15 OEM Approvals and Meets or Exceeds a host of others too

Watch for more advanced lubricants like this as requirements escalate

I'm monitoring this lubricant for its soot handling abilities (blotter tests) and it has been superb so far. I've found all Delvac HDEOs good at this since I first started evaluating them in the early 1960s

The McLaren F1 team uses it in their trucks, too.
wink.gif

I've just recently purchased a 2007 second hand BMW 530d. The BMW dealer changed the oil to whatever their rebranded LL04 Castrol oil is. I checked the oil when I picked up the car and it was already pitch black. After 5000kms I changed the oil to the Delvac 1 le 5w30 from this thread. 500kms after the oil change and so far zero consumption and the oil is just barely starting to get light grey.

Anecdotal at best I know, but maybe slightly better ring sealing than the dealers LL04?

In any case, for Doug Hillary, you can buy this oil in New Zealand in a 20litre jug. Might be cheaper than shipping from France.

I have also blotter checked the oil. There is barely enough soot in it to do it but it comes out *perfectly* uniform and does so very quickly. The dispersant package must be excellent.
Now thinking about adding a bypass filter to this car...
S

m37charlie,
I saw a UOA you posted elsewhere on this oil in your BMW and it looked quite good, but the Fe numbers where a bit high...or it seemed that way to me. I'm no Oil analysis expert though.

Has that settled down in your M57? Or is it normal?

PS keep an eye on your oil breather on that engine!

Cheers
S

Hi,
shizam - Thanks for the info. I purchase my Mobil products from a Distributor in Brisbane (OZ). The Delvac 1 LE 5W-30 is a stock item for them in 20ltr containers - imported from France. It sure is a Global family we're all part of

Thanks again

You said it!
I'm a Canadian, sitting in Hong Kong, talking to an Aussie, about my car from Germany,which is in NZ, using oil from France, based on an oil report from a guy in the USA.....simple!

Originally Posted By: shizam
m37charlie,
I saw a UOA you posted elsewhere on this oil in your BMW and it looked quite good, but the Fe numbers where a bit high...or it seemed that way to me. I'm no Oil analysis expert though.

Cheers
S

I think he found out his oil cooler was leaking. Which typically results in high wear numbers from coolant in the oil.

m37charlie,

Cheers
S

I think the Fe is "normal" but my EGR, SCR/DOC/DPF recently "fell off". Consumption (CO2 emissions!) down 10% , we will see if Fe drops. When I run out of Delvac 1 LE I might switch to Delvac 1 SHC 5W40.

Charlie

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnecropost

I am still running the Delvac 5w30 LE in my M57 powered BMW. It's a great oil.

I recently bought a second hand VW Mk5 Golf 2.0 TDI. The VW Pumpe Duse (PD) engines have very narrow, highly loaded, cam lobes as the cam also drives the PD fuel injectors.

For this VW I could either use the same 5w30 LE or I could get Delvac 5w40 ESP. I think the slightly higher viscosity may be better for the PD engine. I can't however find much info about the ESP Delvacs. There aren't many UOAs around.

Anyone have any insight as to how the ESP compares to the LE?
They seem fairly similar on the manufacturers spec sheet.

Many of the builder approvals are the same. Obviously, there will be KV differences, but you're aware of that. Sulphated ash levels are the same, but the Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 will have higher phosphorus content. Starting TBN will be pretty close.

My first complete 10k mi OCI without emissions on the X5 35d using D1 LE 5W30 showed 35ppm Fe and 11ppm Al, 2ppm Cr

Last edited:
You said it!
I'm a Canadian, sitting in Hong Kong, talking to an Aussie, about my car from Germany,which is in NZ, using oil from France, based on an oil report from a guy in the USA.....simple!

Yup, the modern world
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
You said it!

Yup, the modern world
laugh.gif

And a pleasant thread too ….

Signed: Texan in the EU that got D1 5w40 for $23/gallon and uses in gasser back home

I wonder if the ESP would have higher ZDDP and therefore perhaps better wear resistance than the LE.
I mapped out all the spec on the Lubrizol comparator and they both come out to a full 10/10.
I suppose when you're dealing with to oils of this quality level you are splitting hairs choosing between them.

M37Charlie> Thanks for the follow up. I can't get UOAs done here without great difficulty and cost. It was your UOA that originally put me on to the 5w30LE for my M57 engined BMW. Cheers! Maybe I can return the favor with a tip I figured out for them. (Sorry guys I'm going to drift off topic for a sec)
The oil breathers have a bad rep for plugging up on these engines. Crank pressure builds and oil pushes out the turbo bearings messing up the intake(swirl flaps) and exhaust. You can check their health easily though using the following method. I validated this with a new swirl air oil separator.
With the engine running, warm, remove the oil fill cap. There is a lot of blow by and vapour that will come out under positive pressure. slowly increase Engine RPM and at 1500 the oil fill port will switch to suction as the intake airflow draw increases. If it happens much above 1500rpm, the breather needs replacing. If its at 1500, then it is perfect. Hope thats of some use.
S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back