Yamaha EF2000is Generator Oil Consumption Mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. Easy enough to manage but that's not the issue. As minimal as you've pointed out, two oz. is a fair percentage of the 12 oz. of oil in the sump. Using two to three oz. ever 25 hours or so will cause the low oil level switch to shut the generator of at around 65 to 70 hours. Not something that I like to see. Accordingly, I usually top off the oil ever 30 hours or less. I've never had any engine use oil before, let alone a quality piece like a Yamaha? However, other than my Kubota diesel engine, I don't use other engines for five to six hours a day, five days of the week. Nonetheless, others have reported running their generators for long hours with little to no oil consumption.

I did an oil change on it this last week. For this time of year (fall), I like to use a blend of 5W30 Rotella with 15W40 Rotella. I'll have to see if that makes any difference. I kind of doubt that it will.

Originally Posted By: andyd
2 oz? That is like 4 tablespoons. That is easily managed. A tad low tells me the oil isn't gassed very much. Keep an eye on the oil level as you should with all OPE.

Would it be possible to add capacity to the sump by hooking a line to the sump and adding a small external sump at the same level?

This can be done with engines that have a drain plug. I have no idea if there is room for such a thing. Or even if the engine is configured well enough to allow such a thing.

I don't think that would be possible considering that the filler hole is also the drain hole. The angle of the fill/drain hole would require the connection for auxiliary sump to be higher than the oil level which would create an issue with oil level equilibrium between the two sumps. Otherwise, it would be a nice idea.

I know that way up north in remote locations, communications companies use small generators for off grid power sources. I've seen some 5 to 10Kw diesel generators with auxiliary oil sumps that hold 10 to 25 gallons of oil. Obviously, the generators run non stop all year long and probably get the oil changed once or twice a year depending on how remote they are.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Would it be possible to add capacity to the sump by hooking a line to the sump and adding a small external sump at the same level?

This can be done with engines that have a drain plug. I have no idea if there is room for such a thing. Or even if the engine is configured well enough to allow such a thing.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
I don't think that would be possible considering that the filler hole is also the drain hole.

Well, was just a thought.

I purchased the Honda EU2000 generator, after much deliberation. For all the "internet love" these small generators get, I'm not convinced the little Honda is all that great. At any significant load, it's screaming away. It's only quiet when charging an iPhone Hahahaa.

I've not run mine enough to see if it consumes much oil. This much I can say, the oil is pretty clean.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

I purchased the Honda EU2000 generator, after much deliberation. For all the "internet love" these small generators get, I'm not convinced the little Honda is all that great. At any significant load, it's screaming away. It's only quiet when charging an iPhone Hahahaa.

That's a good point, the little inverter gens probably show their best qualities at partial load...quiet, low gas consumption.

With that said, the basic power outage survival package with a fairly modern refrigerator fits that bill nicely in my experience. A few lights, flat screen TV, fridge, Internet router, laptops, iPhone charging...less than 1/2 load on my EU2000i and it's humming quietly at 1 gallon per 6-8 hours. My coffee maker uses more wattage (1200W) than the rest of the house combined including my natural gas central heat.

I have a Yamaha EF2000 that rides in a special built box on the frame rail of my semi truck for some auxillery power needs. Bought it last November. I have run only Amsoil 10w30/30w in it. The same oil I use in a JD Zero turn mower with a Kawasaki engine. I have about 325 hrs on my Yamaha. uses only a minuscule amount of oil in 100 hr oil changes. Runs as good as the day I bought it. No VI in the Amsoil 10w30/30. It is a straight weight that meets 10w30 winter flow rates. The generator gets used in dead of winter or heat of summer. Have used it at -25F and over 100F. Runs right inside the custom made storage box on the frame rail. The box has inserts on side and rear that can be removed so that generator runs fine in the box with the top lid closed, out of weather and secure from theft. Have frequently used it for 10-12 hours at a stretch. Great generator for my needs. I have a Xantrex inverter / charger that I have shore power connection that I use the generator for. Keeps the 4 truck batteries up and, in winter, does a 500w oil pan heater, and meet my "hotel" loads of the truck sleeper, all while loping along at a nice low, quiet speed. I have gotten almost 10 hrs on a fuel fill frequently. Worth every dollar I spent for it. At home, I take the generator out and use it for some power tool needs around my property.

Have you checked the cylinder wall with a bore scope,you may have a oil glazed cylinder, it can vary in where and how much. Also broken ring or less than 360 degree ring seating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back