Are there any PAO oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil 1 isn't PAO anymore right?

What about Joe Gibbs oil?

So we are left with Redline and Group 3s. Even Amsoil has reduced their formula.

According to this it is Group 3 just like the rest of the synthetics Pennz, Castrol, Schaeffer, Quaker State, Valvoline, SuperTech, Royal Purple.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3785404/2

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/757962/1

Synthetics more like pathetics:
Tier 1: Redline
Tier 2: German Castrol 0W-30
Tier 3: M1, Pennz, Castrol, Schaeffer, Quaker State, Valvoline, Royal Purple
Tier 4: Conventional

Wow. Obviously you haven't absorbed anything anyone with any knowledge has ever posted here with that list.
And you obviously haven't looked at a Mobil pds lately n

Start there.

And your list is nonsense. Gtl even though it's classified as a group 3 it's on par with pao in its performance characteristics.
Pao isn't the be all to end all anyways. It's poor as far as additive solubility so in order for the add pack to function properly there has to be a component that the additives can dissolve in.
But that's info that can be easily found by searching. Perhaps you should try that first.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
And you obviously haven't looked at a Mobil pds lately

What does the Mobil pds tell us?

Originally Posted By: InfmousCornholio
Redline is Group 5 or Group V.

Please, don't include Red Line in your group. Red Line is not a PAO engine oil. In fact PAO engine oils are not just PAO, not by a long shot. You might be better off since you don't understand engine oil, to choose an oil based on specifications and manufacturer's overall requirements.

I have become convinced that the strict PAO synthetic idea is one that has become archaic. Base oil technology has come a long ways in the last few years. I am into blends and have been for some time. Take the best of a couple of different base oils, combine them, throw in a strong add pack and enjoy.

I would assume for car use you'd be a big fan of quality syn blend oils?

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
I have become convinced that the strict PAO synthetic idea is one that has become archaic. Base oil technology has come a long ways in the last few years. I am into blends and have been for some time. Take the best of a couple of different base oils, combine them, throw in a strong add pack and enjoy.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

Please, don't include Red Line in your group. Red Line is not a PAO engine oil. In fact PAO engine oils are not just PAO, not by a long shot. You might be better off since you don't understand engine oil, to choose an oil based on specifications and manufacturer's overall requirements.
+1

Originally Posted By: Benito
Originally Posted By: Clevy
And you obviously haven't looked at a Mobil pds lately

What does the Mobil pds tell us?
Many of "us" already know.

From the research I have done, weighing all the pros and cons, the only thing I was "looking" for was something that was "synthetic" enough for my liking.

I just couldn't swallow that dewaxed crude is "synthetic".

I am personally happy with GTL being classified as a "full synthetic".

That should open up your options a bit...

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

Please, don't include Red Line in your group. Red Line is not a PAO engine oil.

Uhh..........that is not exactly correct. Redline contains a decent amount of PAO. By some accounts, some of their formulations have more PAO than ester. But it's the usual silly BITOG discussion. Arguing about what "base oil a finished lubricant is" doesn't really matter. The finished formulation fitting the correct application during the proper length of use is the important thing.

Originally Posted By: Rand
m1 0w20 EP is about 50% pao IIRC

60-70%. The 0w-40 was, as per the last German MSDS, 50-60%.

Originally Posted By: 285south
Mobil 1 isn't PAO anymore right?

What about Joe Gibbs oil?

So we are left with Redline and Group 3s. Even Amsoil has reduced their formula.

According to this it is Group 3 just like the rest of the synthetics Pennz, Castrol, Schaeffer, Quaker State, Valvoline, SuperTech, Royal Purple.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3785404/2

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/757962/1

Synthetics more like pathetics:
Tier 1: Redline
Tier 2: German Castrol 0W-30
Tier 3: M1, Pennz, Castrol, Schaeffer, Quaker State, Valvoline, Royal Purple
Tier 4: Conventional

Spectro Platinum is a PAO/ester blend that may be of interest. PAO as base oil with ester as the additive carrier and to add some polarity (metal cling) But it is a motorcycle oil.

Trolling.gif

Kmart Smittys is 10% PAO

M1 oils contain varying proportions of PAO depending upon the flavor.
AFE contains more than vanilla and EP contains more than AFE.
Oils are formulated to meet a performance specification.
There is no advantage in using a more costly basestock blend than required to achieve the desired level of performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back