Is Michelin really that good

Status
Not open for further replies.
It runs about 50% more than BFGoodrich. I need tires soon and bought them at Costco since they don't carry other brand in Honda Fit 185 55 16 size.

Michelin now owns BF Goodrich.
Also, BF Goodrich tires were on the first car to complete a cross-USA west-east trip, the 1903 Jackson-Crocker trip.
I've always had great luck with Goodrich tires.
When I lived near Akron Ohio in the 90's, I attended an engineering presentation (SAE) on their baja tires. They have always had good engineering, and Michelin is very premium.

It does depend on the particular model of tire. Some are better than others. I'd trust Goodrich though, no problem.

Some of their models are, yes. The LTX M/S2, Pilot Super Sport and Pilot A/S3's are all fantastic tires that I've owned.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Some of their models are, yes. The LTX M/S2, Pilot Super Sport and Pilot A/S3's are all fantastic tires that I've owned.

Michelin is at or near the top in my experience. Here the Goodrich deal is a cheaper tire, and probably the value leader. Goodrich.

I think it depends on what your putting them on. Michelin's are better for high end cars. They do seem to ride quieter and handle well. I ve had long wear out of BF Goodrich tires. I would go with the BF Goodrich if your looking more for value over performance.

Some are superb, some are in line with competition (but slightly overpriced), and some are pretty mediocre compared to competition

Price shop Michelin Premier's against Yokohama Avid Ascend's

The only decent All season's in that size

Costco doesn't sell any mid grade or value tires. The models they sell are top of the line. So you got a good tire.

I am on my third set of Michelin LTX M/S and they're fantastic.
I get about 80,000 miles out of them. Great in snow and rain.
It's the only brand I'd buy and I'm willing to pay a premium for them.

Originally Posted By: M1Accord
It runs about 50% more than BFGoodrich. I need tires soon and bought them at Costco since they don't carry other brand in Honda Fit 185 55 16 size.
I recently faced this decision on the sled. To replace the Michelins that were on there, DT quoted me $140/ea. I went with a BFG tire instead. They even gave me a discount: $80/ea.

They ride very nice, very quiet and don't squeal in turns. It hasn't rained enough to judge wet performance though.

BTW, Michelin owns BFG. It's their "mid-line" tire. Works for me!

You could *carefully* consider a different size. The discount tire website will recommend you plus-zero sizes that would fit. I did that with my Fit base, because I hated the skinny original tire. Just consider that even using plus-zero sizes do add some error to your speedometer. The 1010tires.com site has a tire calculator that help you analyze the impact of the new tire size.

I've historically had great experiences with bfg tires.

Like any manufacturer, there are good tires and bad ones. And even some great ones may have some flaws as environmental, feed source, inhibitor chemistry, casting parameters, and other things are changed.

I've personally always been pleased with Michelin tires, including the two sets on our two new cars. Might that change? Absolutely. But I'm sort of doubting it...

The outstanding thing about the Michelin tires that I've owned is that the performance when worn 70% is still very good. Other Goodyear tires and Gardsman tires loose their performance quite early. Ed

I really like Yokohama or Continental. From what I have read Michelin is hit and miss with the rubber compound, but they always hit you with high prices.

I think much with respect to tires is application dependent, perhaps more than just about anything else with our vehicles. I'm relatively happy with my Michelins, but I'm not convinced they're worth the price. On a vehicle that puts on a lot of miles in a hurry and rotations are done on time, I'd recommend a high end tire. For me, I suspect, my old standby of getting a cheaper set because I don't put on the miles fast enough probably would have been a reasonable idea.

I cannot fault the ride and handling, I must say.

A lot also depends on what you're looking for in a tire and your driving experience.

If you are just using your car as an appliance, and you just putt around town getting groceries, and you never need to push your car and tires past 10% of their abilitys, and your car is already noisy and creaking so the tire's NVH ability is lost in the noise; then a good tire versus a bad tire improvements have no worth to you.

For the OP, a lot of fit owners switched over to 205/50 R16 to open up more tire options for their Fit Sport. Costco unlikely to do this as they will only go by the book; but every other tire place will stick that size onto your fit sport.
Read over at fitfreak forums if you're interested in other options for your tire if you haven't already finished at costco.

If you do get at costco, be sure you're buying during the $70 coupon period. It usually rotates every 2-3 months between bridgestone and michelin, and current coupon period ends on 9/27 and not sure if next period will have michelin or bridgestone.

Last edited:
This--->
Originally Posted By: CT8
Some Michelins are really good some are not so good in my opinion.

And this--->

Have been my experiences as well with Michelin. OEM Michelins are typically J-U-N-K. The set of OEM Primacy's on my Azera lasted a whole 20K whereas the M/S2's lasted 80K on my old F150. I have had bad luck with BFGs through the years, I no longer consider them when choosing tires.

I can back up the LTX M/S2, just changed them over the summer on the wife's Wrangler...with 150000 miles. That's not a typo, we had them on for 150k, from 39k to 159000. Worth every penny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back