PQIA tests seven more oils, 9/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Joe90_guy
To those folks who are saying, 'It's got a low Noack, so what?', I'd say this...

Yes, oil is more than just one parameter, but if I had to pick one parameter to judge an oil it would be Noack for a given viscosity grade. To understand why, you need to understand how base oil, DI & VII blend. Viscometric limits are generally fixed. Noack on the other hand 'floats'. Noack is high or low depending on the quality of the base oil used. The higher the Viscosity Index of the base oil used, the lower the Noack will be. However it doesn't stop there. The higher the VI of the base oils use means the higher the aggregate KV100 of the base oil mix (good for wear) and less VII polymer in the blend. The latter IMO is the crucial factor. In oil terms, you can view VII as 'the disease' and DI as 'the cure'. Typically formulators think in terms of 'more cure' but if you can reduce the severity of 'the disease', then the standard amount of DI you have in the oil does a better job of keeping the engine healthy.

Apologies for using far too much metaphor..

That is one of the clearest bits of data/knowledge that this poor tyro has seen so no need to apologize for metaphor. It was terrific and very helpful to me.

It's a very good piece of information, but it's hard for the rest of us to chase. That's where I get concerned that the PYB's low Noack isn't part of an actual spec sheet. I believe their synthetics have it on the sheets, so we can compare to other products. Where something doesn't have a Noack listed and a PQIA test shows something like 5% today, it may barely be under the limits tomorrow. So, if one is looking at Noack, look at the spec sheets, and hope they're accurate, or, better yet, find something that meets proprietary specs calling for a lower Noack, though you won't find one that low.

After all, read the bottom of the spec sheets and their customary disclaimer.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
No matter which oil company, they all need tax write-offs... 24 billion makes for a nice write off spread over a couple of years.
What is Would be the build cost spread over the life of the plant? Probably less than the operating costs over the same period of time. Compare that cost to what any major airline paid for 1 A380? and the big airlines have lots of planes but the oil companies seem not to go bankrupt as often. The big corps are big.

I did
smile.gif
I drove from Williamsburg to the Wally worlds out your way and loaded up
on Pennzoil 10w30 PYB
25.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back