Chicago Violence And DUI's...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize if I offended anyone who read my last post.I'm a drunk who is trying to sober up and was not "baiting" anyone. Thank you for those that posted the AA website. I realize that DUI is a crime that is horrible. And I apologize to those who lost loved ones. I got quite a lashing and maybe it was deserved. However, last Friday-Monday, there was 8 people killed and 45 shot in the city of Chicago. Organizations like MADD get laws passed every year "cracking down on drunk driving". Where is the outcry for urban kids getting murdered? Why don't urban area mothers get a voice? Many of you have no idea what it is to live in a "open air drug market" or gang violence.

Your appeal to emotion (Chicago violence) is absurd. Don't do it.

However, the apology appears genuine, you realize an issue exists, and you're attempting to improve your situation. That's commendable.

Focus.

You do have a point.
There is plenty of organized outrage over the perils to third parties involved with drunk driving.
There is also plenty of organized outrage over police shootings and maltreatment of suspects.
Where is the outrage over shooting deaths involving people on our urban streets every day, many of whom are mere third party bystanders?

The comparison between DUI and Chicago gun crime is questionable, at best. It distracts your attention from your first order of business, which is to follow through with AA and get your drinking problem under control. I read your last post, and I want to believe that you are a fundamentally decent guy despite your serious booze problem. Your two DUI convictions that you reported on this forum in another thread confirm that you have a problem beyond any doubt. Get help and sober up, for good. I wish you well.

For one, in most jurisdictions, drunk driving deaths outstrip murders by a fairly significant margin. Traffic deaths in general do this. That's why the police target drunk driving, distracted driving, and so forth.

In the end, you can only control your own behaviour, not anyone else's. If you don't want to drive drunk, don't do it.

The first thing any therapist the like will tell you is to quit the justification. Saying that I'm not a murderer or a gang-banger doesn't make up for any of my mistakes, nor justify them. There are plenty of problems in the world, but you're not going to solve any of them by pointing fingers at different problems.

You do make a valid point, but that's the real trap when it comes to justification.

Mr Nice, I could have a 6 pack of beer in me and you would have no idea. Years ago the DUI blood level was .15 which I think was a better range of impairment. The majority of DUI accidents are not from the social drinkers enjoying a few cold ones at the local watering hole. They are repeat chronic DUI offenders who drive with no license or insurance!

After my 2nd DUI conviction I was forced to have a breathaylzer device (at my cost) for 9 months. I couldn't even enjoy my cocktail without it going off! Why not have these machines in all new cars? I would imagine the insurance costs would go down?

One of the first things I learned 13 years ago in AA. The only Business I was to take care of is my own BUSNIESS OF STAYING SOBER.. This [censored] of attacking the establishment in another area only is a ruse to redirect guilt. Keep going to 2-3 meeting a day, keep mouth closed and listen to those who have survived and are happy. Ed

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
Mr Nice, I could have a 6 pack of beer in me and you would have no idea. Years ago the DUI blood level was .15 which I think was a better range of impairment. The majority of DUI accidents are not from the social drinkers enjoying a few cold ones at the local watering hole. They are repeat chronic DUI offenders who drive with no license or insurance!

This attitude is what gets people killed. You don't know what the proper range of impairment is, as the scientific consensus is much lower. I'm sick of seeing people scattered about the roadway because others feel entitled.

You are entitled to a cocktail.

You are not entitled to drive afterward. Use a taxi or Uber, or find a bar that you can walk to from your house.

After my 2nd DUI conviction I was forced to have a breathaylzer device (at my cost) for 9 months. I couldn't even enjoy my cocktail without it going off! Why not have these machines in all new cars? I would imagine the insurance costs would go down?

We don't need these machines in all new cars because most of us aren't chronic drunk drivers.

Mr Nice, I could have a 6 pack of beer in me and you would have no idea. Years ago the DUI blood level was .15 which I think was a better range of impairment.

There is a lot of data behind the 0.08 level, and that was already mentioned in the thread. You think that 0.15 is a better level to be using, then you should be able to trot out the data to demonstrate this scientifically. Commercial pilots deal with a zero tolerance regulation. It's not that big of a deal or that onerous to stay out of the driver's seat when you've been drinking. In any event, get used to the 0.08 limit, and get used to it shrinking. New drivers in this jurisdiction have had zero tolerance for a lot of years. I suspect the practice will spread elsewhere and be actually expanded, unless, of course, you can demonstrably prove that 0.15 is better. But, I doubt it.

Again, you having an ignition interlock and wondering why those aren't standard equipment on all new vehicles is not much different than justification. You got caught, and yes, plenty of other people will get away with it, perhaps for the rest of their lives. That, too, is out of your hands.

DIU and shootings are caused by selfish self absorbed people only thinking of themselves. The problem is growing exponentially.Look at me!!!!!!!!!!

Garak, data for what?? I worked hard all my life and many of my co-workers enjoy drinking. I noticed not a single response as been addressing the other issue I raised. Young urban men getting shot and killed every day! I suspect there is a certain demographic group that is here. And that would explain that.

The issue is that you are a potential menace to society. You can go pointing out other menaces, some may even be worse than you, but it makes you no less a menace.

Society has spoken about the issues associated with the behaviors you are seemingly downplaying. There is no tolerance. Get over it. Your behavior is menacing and there is a statistically higher chance that you will kill someone than other drivers.

Yes, you could say the same about other things. I know. But the thread is about dui, and you need to recognize that there is a widely accepted intolerance of it.

jh, I'm not justifying drunk driving but pointing out other disturbing crime issues. Thank Goodness the Chicago police have always used "common sense" with me when driving home. They even let me pull the car over and drove me home one time.

Every employer I worked for from 1986 forward required both pre-employment as well as random D&A testing. Somehow, I was able to survive decades of sobriety on the job, as well as my co-workers. Same behind the wheel. My employers were "ahead of the curve" but the US DOT regs got set in 1991 following a big rail disaster in 1987.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_Maryland_train_collision

You can see how Mr. Ricky Lynn Gates' prior DUI convictions factored into his trial & sentencing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_Maryland_train_collision#Investigation.2C_charges_and_conviction

There are enough mishaps without specifically being intoxicated while operating dangerous and potentially deadly equipment whether it's an oceangoing tanker (re: Exxon Valdez captain), a tugboat / pushboat, a locomotive, or an automobile. The consequences heaped upon those who did not share in the decisions made by intoxicated individuals is really the core of the matter.

nyo, that is a horrible tragedy. However, marijuana (a dangerous drug that I never did) stays in the system for weeks? What are they doing in Colorado and Washington for drug induced driving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back