Can air in cooling system cause statup problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't remember if it was since new but my 2012 Elantra has had a strange intermittant start up problem which occurs occasionally, usually after I have started the car briefly and then turned it off. It can even sit overnight after this situation, and then in the morning it cranks over but doesn't fire up. Usually after a couple to 3 cranks it reluctantly starts up. Anyway, I recently drained and flushed my coolant thoroughly, using the Lisle spill free funnel which is really nice and allows for a thorough job of removing all air. It might be mental but it seems to me that since the flush the car has been starting instantly and I haven't had the reluctant start problem. Any chance this can be related?

That sounds more like the "car wash syndrome" that some Jeep/Chrysler products had. I could be completely wrong, someone else will chime in.

Originally Posted By: schuylkill
usually after I have started the car briefly and then turned it off.

No its not related. Under the right condition, usually in colder weather when the mixture is rich the plugs will not clean themselves off if you shut it off briefly after starting it.
Mazda RX8 had this problem, they are so bad sometimes the only way to get them going is to pull the plugs and clean them.

Years ago when i was a young mechanic i got the job of pulling plugs on new cars that did this and wouldn't start on the dealer lot after the lot boys moved them and shut them right off repeatedly in the middle of winter, it was common. All part of paying your dues. LOL

If you don't already have platinum or iridium plugs install some, they require lower voltages to fire and may help alleviate the issue.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
That sounds more like the "car wash syndrome" that some Jeep/Chrysler products had. I could be completely wrong, someone else will chime in.

We had a 04 Wrangler that was really bad with this. If we started it to let someone out of the driveway and didn't let it run for 20 minutes , it wouldn't start again. Didn't matter if it was pressing the pedal to the floor or holding it a bit ... or not at all. It wouldn't restart without a fight.

Coolant temp should be ambient air temp, so the sensor reading would be the same either way.

If you had an air bubble that blocked the sensor during warmup, you might get goofy stumbling problems, though it should still run. Usually the sensor hides behind the thermostat so when the 'stat opens, you should have no air, and good flow over the sensor.

Quote:
If you don't already have platinum or iridium plugs install some, they require lower voltages to fire and may help alleviate the issue.

Using Denso iridium plugs. The car has 164K and I replaced them at 98K I believe it was. Unless the problem never repeats I would say that your explanation is the truth. Thanks

Considering that engines start fine with no coolant in them I believe you are experiencing the placebo effect. Unless you disturbed something electrical when under the hood. Then you might have accidentally fixed the problem, but the fix was incidental to the coolant service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back