PU 5w30, 10,700 miles, 2004 Accord V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
H6pEnfr.png

A little over a year in my mother's 2004 Accord V6 with a Fram Ultra filter (left it on for another tour of duty).

Filled with my last jug of PU, probably switch to M1 next.

I think they changed the Pennzoil Ultra formula from a couple of years ago, about 1/3 as much boron now; saw that on another recent UOA of PU too.
Fram Ultras shouldn't do another 10k miles on top of this, they are supposed to be limited to 15,000 miles.
Iron was incredibly low for that many miles. Fantastic report, no problems here.

What were you using before that had all that magnesium? Castrol Edge?

Good question, had to dig through old reports and found it was Syntec.

I guess I should swap the filter in 5k...slap another Ultra on.

That is a great report. Now was this with the old Pennzoil Ultra or is this the new Pennzoil Ultra Plantinum with pure plus technology? Which ever it was seems like it is doing a great job.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
why has viscosity gone up?

When an oil gets some miles on it, it oxidizes and thickens. Wear didn't go up, but I would have a hard time going too many miles over this OCI on the next.

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus

Fram Ultras shouldn't do another 10k miles on top of this, they are supposed to be limited to 15,000 miles.

Ultra's are not limited to anything, they are warranted.

For clarification, the Ultra is warranted for 15k or whatever the manufacturers recommendation is.

Honda asks for a filter change every other oil change so he is fine using the Ultra and even would be under Fram's warranty. This has been confirmed by MotorKing and has his blessing to run the 20k's that Honda will run a filter.

I was surprised Blackstone flagged the 11.45 viscosity. You can go to 12.4 and still be considered a 30 weight. They say the range is 8.8 to 11.3, but it should be 8.8 to 13 considered OK, normal fuel dilution, chemical shearing, and/or oxidation is allowed to stretch the J300 new oil range some.

Originally Posted By: mctmatt
That is a great report. Now was this with the old Pennzoil Ultra or is this the new Pennzoil Ultra Plantinum with pure plus technology? Which ever it was seems like it is doing a great job.

This would have been the old Platinum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back