Which European oil for VW Emissions defeat switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both my VW and Bmw diesels have not had the lubrication of the safety/emissions defeat switch done.
This is needed about every year or 12,000 miles, as the defeat switch operates everytime the car is driven here in the USA.
Do I need to use a German specification lube for this? or is there a USA source (maybe maxlife?)
And what does BMW specify- what is the Factory spec, and is it a dealer only item? Someone on the BMW forum said spraying it with wd40 would void the warranty.
For the BMW, if you lubricate or replace the switch do you have to have the dealer re register the switch?

I would not overly worry about it, if you are the primary driver; But if your empty nested son or daughter borrows the car to drive near College Campus - you may wish to lubricate it with a MILITEC or ISO 60 di-ester. You know how they get away with misshapen priority ...

Last edited:
I think you can substitute blinker fluid in a pinch. They do use 30-weight ball bearings after all, which are fairly insensitive to lubricant choice.

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
Both my VW and Bmw diesels have not had the lubrication of the safety/emissions defeat switch done.
This is needed about every year or 12,000 miles, as the defeat switch operates everytime the car is driven here in the USA.
Do I need to use a German specification lube for this? or is there a USA source (maybe maxlife?)
And what does BMW specify- what is the Factory spec, and is it a dealer only item? Someone on the BMW forum said spraying it with wd40 would void the warranty.
For the BMW, if you lubricate or replace the switch do you have to have the dealer re register the switch?

So somehow you take this car and drive it ONLY in the USA for 12K miles and all the sudden it needs the defeat switch lubed? The ECU is rigged to a GPS somehow? Interesting.
banana2.gif

The oil you use isn't as important as when. Just make sure it works freely before each annual emission test.

Originally Posted By: Burt
The oil you use isn't as important as when. Just make sure it works freely before each annual emission test.

To the contrary, this is one of the few 'devices' on the car that really is "lifetime lubricated".

The owners manual specifies a German brand, KYJ Extended Performance, if you only have the switch serviced irregularly.

Actually I have a stash of Kresse (dime store) oil that my grandfather had, can I use that? does it meet the BMW 2015 (9/15) specification?
German engineering is very precise so its important to get it right.
I was raised on Toyotas, and about anything worked in them. But I cant really say how long they lasted, as we sold them at around 200,000 miles still running.

Last edited:
Actually I have a stash of Kresse (dime store) oil that my grandfather had, can I use that?

You might get away with using that, but I'd soak the switch in a bucket of steam first, just to clean things up.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Shrubitup

So somehow you take this car and drive it ONLY in the USA for 12K miles and all the sudden it needs the defeat switch lubed? The ECU is rigged to a GPS somehow? Interesting.
banana2.gif

Our smog particles get embedded in the dried lube and cause added friction. It's not so much GPS activity as the coarse, abrasive air of anarchy.

Originally Posted By: djb
Originally Posted By: Burt

To the contrary, this is one of the few 'devices' on the car that really is "lifetime lubricated".

Some VW execs and engineering supervisors better hope that's not all that's "lubricated..."

Every time the defeat switch is activated, a German engineer gets their wings.

VW-Wings.jpg

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
The owners manual specifies a German brand, KYJ Extended Performance, if you only have the switch serviced irregularly.

This is to be used ONLY if applied thru the tailpipe!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back