Today's Test Drive: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll have to admit that this car was not on my radar; a couple of fellow HPDE instructors suggested I check it out. The 1LE package gets you most of the ZL1's suspension, wheels, and other upgrades to the drivetrain. The car I drove was a 2SS with the RS package, which pretty much means that you get all the bells and whistles one could want- HIDs, HUD, heated seats, Boston Acoustics audio, etc. On top of all that, it also had the optional Recaros and the dual-mode performance exhaust.

The Camaro interior was refreshed a few years ago, and while it still trails the 2015 Challenger and 2015 Mustang in style and ergonomics, it's no longer a Playskool penalty box. The Recaros are excellent, and-unlike Ford's set in the Mustang-Chevrolet figured out how to heat them. Starting the 6.2 V8 made me smile; the exhaust has a throaty rumbling tone(one of my knocks on the Mustang is that the exhaust is way too subdued). The shifter is great, it slots into gear like a fine rifle bolt- with just enough effort to provide useful feedback. The steering is maybe a bit overboosted for my tastes, but acceptable, while the clutch is light and progressive. The wheel and shift knob are covered in Alcantara, by the way and feel very nice. The Brembo brakes are top notch- as expected. On the road, the car accelerated about as fast as the 2015 Mustang GTs I have driven. The ride was firm but not punishing, and the car has tons and tons of grip. Car and Driver claimed that a 1LE could lap the VIR Grand West Course in under three minutes and I don't doubt it one bit- its incredibly capable(the 1LE gets Goodyear 285/35ZR20 Eagle F1 Supercar G: 2 rubber, by the way).

The downsides? Just one in my opinion, and it's relatively minor: visibility. Sure, it's OK on the street, but the sightlines make it a bit tough to accurately place the car when hustling in the corners. That said, I'm sure that one would adapt with experience.

My car search has resembled a cat chasing a laser pointer; I've gone back and forth between hot hatches(Golf R), AWD hooligans(STI), and V8 ponycars, but the list is narrowing. Right now I'd say the Mustang and Camaro are at the top of my list. I really like the Challenger SRT8, but I prefer lighter and smaller cars- especially when they will see considerable track time. The Mustang is probably the best overall package, but the 1LE has immense capabilities for a relatively modest cost. I may have found a keeper.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
The downsides? Just one in my opinion, and it's relatively minor: visibility. Sure, it's OK on the street, but the sightlines make it a bit tough to accurately place the car when hustling in the corners. That said, I'm sure that one would adapt with experience.
Your minor downside was the deal breaker for me. Never have I felt more like I was driving around in a cave than in a Camaro. Visibility is pathetic in this car with my head nearly touching the roofline. It was nice in every other way, but not being able to see was not something I could adapt to.

buy a used Grand sport Vette!

I agree tho the new Camaros are probably my favorite pony car.

My issue is if i am going to pay $35k for a sports car i want it to be a proper sports car. I would have to go with a lightly used Corvette.

They sure are getting a lot of mileage out of '1LE'. I have that package on my '89 TransAm-it shares with that vintage Camaro.
The side impact protection improvements do come at a cost. I don't care for it either.

Visibility and (IMO) pathetic ergonomics are what did it for me. I love that the Camaro is back and thriving, but for once can GM give us a Camaro interior that is livable?

A wonderful car for a serious track rat. But a little too dedicated for a DD IMO. Glad you got to drive one, as it is definitely one of the best handling domestics available.

I spent over 3 hours at Sebring in one of these, believe it or not they are very comfortable. And minor mods put that 6.2 into serious territory very cheaply...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
A wonderful car for a serious track rat. But a little too dedicated for a DD IMO. Glad you got to drive one, as it is definitely one of the best handling domestics available.

I spent over 3 hours at Sebring in one of these, believe it or not they are very comfortable. And minor mods put that 6.2 into serious territory very cheaply...

Definitely true on the LS3. That engine is a race engine that is built at a factory with a short duration cam. Spend $400 on a Hot Cam or ASA Cam, and bump it up to 480 or 525 HP. Add a set of CNC ported heads, ECU tuning, and headers, and you can get close to 600 HP for less than $4000 in mods.

I drove a CTS-V at the Milford Proving Grounds last week that had an LS3 with the ASA cam, and it was the automotive equivalent of an iron fist in a velvet glove. The ASA cam gave it a touch of menacing lope at idle. Low speed driveability was good, and it was not necessary to play games with the accelerator and clutch. The cam didn't really come in till about 4000 rpm, but when it did, the engine went to 6500 rpm in a flash.

MCompact;

I know you want to take advantage of depreciation (cost wise).

But I would have to wait for the lighter yet, 6th gen 1LE to be available (or even the 6th gen Z28, but yes, that will be cost prohibitive IF they ever make one
frown.gif
).

I liked the Camaro until I sat in one, you just can't see well out of them.

I don't care about speed I don't race but I love comfortable GT coupes you can see out of, sadly its not one of them. You can see better out of a Corvette.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman

Definitely true on the LS3. That engine is a race engine that is built at a factory with a short duration cam. Spend $400 on a Hot Cam or ASA Cam, and bump it up to 480 or 525 HP. Add a set of CNC ported heads, ECU tuning, and headers, and you can get close to 600 HP for less than $4000 in mods.

I drove a CTS-V at the Milford Proving Grounds last week that had an LS3 with the ASA cam, and it was the automotive equivalent of an iron fist in a velvet glove. The ASA cam gave it a touch of menacing lope at idle. Low speed driveability was good, and it was not necessary to play games with the accelerator and clutch. The cam didn't really come in till about 4000 rpm, but when it did, the engine went to 6500 rpm in a flash.

One of my road racing buddies has a 2014 6.2 Camaro with nothing but headers and a good exhaust with some tuning. I had a bit of seat time before and after and all I can say is amazing. The way that 6.2 gets the revs up is very impressive, it makes you think you are in a far lighter car. Add a cam and some good heads and you are into serious territory for not too much money. IMO some of the most mod friendly motors out there...

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

One of my road racing buddies has a 2014 6.2 Camaro with nothing but headers and a good exhaust with some tuning. I had a bit of seat time before and after and all I can say is amazing. The way that 6.2 gets the revs up is very impressive, it makes you think you are in a far lighter car. Add a cam and some good heads and you are into serious territory for not too much money. IMO some of the most mod friendly motors out there...

That's always been a plus with Chevy engines. It doesn't take much to improve their performance. Almost as though it's expected.
The hemi is similar however it just costs a bit more to get there.
And let's not forget the venerable 5.0 Windsor. Very mod friendly.
In today's vehicles it's tough to mod most engines as they just aren't mod friendly.
The last engines are the opposite and because of the volume of them parts are easy to find and fairly cheap.
Once my truck breaks I'm going to build the 6.0 and put it in a 52 my ex pulled out of her dads barn.
Old school style with modern power.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I liked the Camaro until I sat in one, you just can't see well out of them.

I don't care about speed I don't race but I love comfortable GT coupes you can see out of, sadly its not one of them. You can see better out of a Corvette.

I can see great out of mine because the top is always down. I got an additional 50rwhp with a typical bolt-on package of CAI, ported throttle body, headers and dynotune.

One correction to the OP: the 1LE does NOT have the ZL1 suspension. The ZL1 has MRC, the 1LE has an upgraded standard suspension.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Indydriver

One correction to the OP: the 1LE does NOT have the ZL1 suspension. The ZL1 has MRC, the 1LE has an upgraded standard suspension.

I know that; that's why I said "The 1LE package gets you most of the ZL1's suspension, wheels, and other upgrades to the drivetrain."

I would rather have a low mileage 6 speed/dual mode exhaust Grand Sport Vette for the same money.

Camaro is too big and heavy for me. I hate the small windows.

Is there a way to disable the traction control and anti-lock brakes on these vehicles without pulling fuses?

I'm thinking once you have added more power to the vehicle, the last thing you need is the car's traction and braking systems driving the vehicle for you.

Your correcting for an intended over steering event, and the car is braking one corner trying to straighten out the line.

If I was a Camaro or Corvette owner, I would be seriously worried about what Cadillac is up to, with an eye in the rear view mirror.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back