Upset with RockAuto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short I ordered two mufflers from RockAuto for my 2006 Cadillac DTS. I was traveling on business for the past two weeks and one of the mufflers blew out and the other is not far behind. I only have a few days at home before I have to leave on another trip and did not want to listen to the noise on yet another trip, so I had them shipped and made the appointment for tomorrow to get them put on. I got home this evening and opened the box and both mufflers were shipped in the same box without any packaging inside. Needless to say both mufflers are scratched up and one is dented. I called customer service and the only thing they can do is replace them once I ship them back to RockAuto. They did not even offer expedited shipping on the replacement order. I really do not want to listen to the loud exhaust on another 6 hour drive. Should I just go ahead and put them on? Will the dent possibly cause premature failure? Need advice?

rockauto customer service is awful, awful compared to rest of the parts place

I do have really good experience with EngineTech piston rings & bearings for the 1zz-fe engines.

I guess it depends on how big the dent is. If it was a catalytic converter which with it's internals being far more delicate I would say don't put them on. The internals of a muffler are not so sensitive.

I tried to post the pics, but couldn't get them posted. The dent is about 2x2. Not horrible, but it also the principle of the matter. I think I will have the exhaust mechanic take a look at it and see what he thinks. Thanks for the response.

One thing good about RockAuto is they will ship out your replacement parts as soon as FedEx scans the return label and weighs the package containing the defective parts. Your return package doesn't have to go all the way back to RockAuto first.

packing 2 (expensive?) parts loose is stupid.
why do they do that? do they subcontract out the packaging to an uninterested party?
seems a piece or two of cardboard would have helped or even bubble wrap

Last edited:
If you need stuff ASAP you get it from local parts shop.

Mail order while it typically works well can have snags.

The risk you take supplying your own parts that also can be sent incorrectly etc. If time is of the essence use LOCAL.

I ordered a LUK clutch from them. It came shrink wrapped to a piece of cardboard in a "pizza box". This was loose in a larger shipping box.

It's not dented or damaged and works FINE.

You seem like the kind of customer for a brick & mortar store, or, better yet, just buy the mufflers through your mechanic.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Scratches on a Muffler? Who cares!

I scratched the brand new muffler on my Jeep pretty good .. . Then dragged it over a rock and landed on a log.

Also in contrast they used a rather large box to ship a $14 wix air filter to me.

Inside was roughly 1'wide x 25' of bubble wrap x 2. My kids are having a blast running up and down the run ways with this wasted packing material.

I look at it as the new is still way better than the old. I would rather have 2 scratched dented mufflers that work instead of 2 rusty loud as heck mufflers that require ear plugs to drive the car.

As expensive as shipping has gotten over the past few years I can understand their motives. A little packing material to separate them would have been nice though.
I'd use them as-is unless the dent is so severe it broke internal parts loose.

They don't have to be packed like a million dollar item, but at the same time they shouldn't be just thrown into a box.

If they have to be on the car ASAP I would use them though.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
If you need stuff ASAP you get it from local parts shop.

Mail order while it typically works well can have snags.

The risk you take supplying your own parts that also can be sent incorrectly etc. If time is of the essence use LOCAL.

+1 If I know I need something repaired I will order well in advance just in case.

How often do you inspect the mufflers for damage ? Every week , every month or never ?
Mufflers get banged up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back