Coffee - Your Current Brew

Originally Posted By: Falken
I started a coffee roasting company when I was younger with a Toper roaster from Turkey.

I don't care what the bean was, but if you let the freshly roasted coffee de-gas then grind it up and do ANYTHING with it it tasted like nothing you have ever tried.

Filter, espresso, bodum... It was like candy, a baked good.

If you ever walk down the street and see a coffee roaster in the window that has a chimney hookup, ask when they roast.

Then buy a bag of whatever they scoop out of the cooling bin right after they dump it out.

People even buy green beans and roast them in a cast iron skillet.

Coffee goes stale in exactly the same manner as a baked good.

You can't put your fingure on why, but freshness is 99% of the flavor that is lost when you buy coffee that was roasted, say, last year.

Now that I have had the absolute best, and did it with my own hands, I now enjoy the simple compromise of Maxwell House on sale.

Instant coffee will give me a gag reflex though, when I used to like it when I was camping. So that is wrecked for me.

I preferred all the beans you could get from Africa... Nice solid flavor, such as Kenya AA.

You mixed that with any lesser bean and you had a nice blend.

Coffee keeps me up, and makes me antsy, so I stick to 2 cups a day in the early morning before work.

Coffee, beer, women. Science has yet to catch up.

great write up, loved your last sentence,,,amen

After further reading in here on coffee, many of the participants are really into what I call , coffee engineers. Do to my lack of exposure to coffee engineering , I am in yesterdays world...I should get out more often,imho.

I
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Originally Posted By: Falken
I started a coffee roasting company when I was younger with a Toper roaster from Turkey.

I don't care what the bean was, but if you let the freshly roasted coffee de-gas then grind it up and do ANYTHING with it it tasted like nothing you have ever tried.

Filter, espresso, bodum... It was like candy, a baked good.

If you ever walk down the street and see a coffee roaster in the window that has a chimney hookup, ask when they roast.

Then buy a bag of whatever they scoop out of the cooling bin right after they dump it out.

People even buy green beans and roast them in a cast iron skillet.

Coffee goes stale in exactly the same manner as a baked good.

You can't put your fingure on why, but freshness is 99% of the flavor that is lost when you buy coffee that was roasted, say, last year.

Now that I have had the absolute best, and did it with my own hands, I now enjoy the simple compromise of Maxwell House on sale.

Instant coffee will give me a gag reflex though, when I used to like it when I was camping. So that is wrecked for me.

I preferred all the beans you could get from Africa... Nice solid flavor, such as Kenya AA.

You mixed that with any lesser bean and you had a nice blend.

Coffee keeps me up, and makes me antsy, so I stick to 2 cups a day in the early morning before work.

Coffee, beer, women. Science has yet to catch up.

great write up, loved your last sentence,,,amen

This is why I buy coffee in the smallest possible size. Because I'm the only espresso drinker at home, I buy the individual caps.

Just picked up Cost Plus World Market's Kenya AA whole beans, because they were out of the Tanzanian Peaberry I usually buy. Grinded up some and french pressed a cup, and wow this is smooth and delicious with a nice good kick to it. Good stuff. Eyes wide open!

A repetition maybe but Nescafé Espresso is light years above in flavor than so-called ground espresso beans can ever make. Freeze dried coffee, superb flavor and cream.

343-6943.jpg

currently drinking
Bolivia Organic AAA San Ignacio - 66-lbs. / $3.99 per lb

Dark-
dark-smallbean.jpg

full size picture link
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27353239/2015-11-03 18.35.20.jpg

next up
Medium Dark

2015-11-03%2018.35.36.jpg

the colors in the photos are coming out slightly light.

the dark roast had profuse oil on the bean surface within 30min.
The medium dark took 3-4 days for the oils to start migrating.

The "dark" roast was an accident and I was worried it would taste burnt. Fortunately, The Taste is excellent although I have been drinking it with a touch of half & half.

Originally Posted By: car51
Enjoying some ILLY coffee

Never tried it, too expensive for my taste but I hear it is 1 of the best if not the best.

Was drinking SBC Signature Blend No. 3 but have switched to the darker Signature Blend No. 4 in preparation for my trip to The Netherlands over Christmas Break.

Those lowlanders drink a butt load of coffee and it's very dark and strong. It will be my second trip there (my wife has family there) and last time we drank so much coffee I think I was peeing pure caffeine by the end of the trip!

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: car51
Enjoying some ILLY coffee

Never tried it, too expensive for my taste but I hear it is 1 of the best if not the best.

Had a latte from their coffee shop at Detroit airport earlier this week. It was OK. I would say no better or worse than Starbucks. Alas, a latte is probably not the best final product to judge the actual coffee by.

I had a Starbucks Cappuccino long time ago (paid with a gift card, otherwise I didn't), it wasn't half as good as I could make at home with Lavazza. Probably because I use just the right amount of coffee(12 grams) and milk(3 oz) to make 8 oz cappuccino.

Someday when I have some extra changes I probably buy 1 Illy to see how good it is.

I had a Starbucks Cappuccino long time ago (paid with a gift card, otherwise I didn't), it wasn't half as good as I could make at home with Lavazza. Probably because I use just the right amount of coffee(12 grams) and milk(3 oz) to make 8 oz cappuccino.

Someday when I have some extra changes I probably buy 1 Illy to see how good it is.

Quattro Pete: I am enjoying some "Bostons best" "donut shop" flavor coffee. Wal mart has bags of 20ounce for like $3.82.

I have always been a fan of Illy. Some time ago I started experimenting with other brands, including buying green beans and roasting them myself.

I am back to Illy in an Italian moka or French press.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
I am back to Illy in an Italian moka or French press.

Have you found a place that sells it at a good price?

Back