PP 5w-20 / '13 F-150 5.0L / 13,700km

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!

Here is the first UOA from my 2013 F-150 with the 5.0L engine. Miles on oil is 13,700km (Approx 8,500 miles) with a Wix57502 filter. Total miles on vehicle at the time of sample was 50,600km (Approx. 31,440 miles) Oil was in the engine from August 30, 2014 to September 2, 2015, so just over a year. This oil run included a full winter of use, various amounts of hauling stuff around, and maybe 15% was also towing a small enclosed trailer.

I ran the oil life monitor right down to 0%, but was nervous what the results might be. As the numbers show, I had nothing to worry about, and the iOLM does indeed give me a nice safety cushion.

Also some side notes:
-The air filter was changed for the first time on July 6, 2015 when the truck was at 48,500km with a Fram CA10262.
-Oil was the new Pennzoil Platinum with Pure Plus technology
-Oil filter was actually a Napa Gold, but I listed the Wix part number
-Make up oil added was 0.5L

Let me know what you all think!
smile.gif

Code:

OIL PP5w20

MILES IN USE 8.5k

MILES 31.4k

SAMPLE TAKEN 09/02/15

ALUMINUM 5

CHROMIUM 1

IRON 13

COPPER 2

LEAD 1

TIN 3

MOLYBDENUM 56

NICKEL 1

MANGANESE 3

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 0

BORON 9

SILICON 29

SODIUM 4

CALCIUM 2421

MAGNESIUM 12

PHOSPHORUS 622

ZINC 775

BARIUM 0

INSOLUBLES 0.2

WATER 0.0

FLASHPOINT ºF 405

SUS VIS 210ºF 55.8

cSt @ 212ºF 9.00]

TBN 2.7

Blackstone comments: Silicon was kind of high in this sample, and that can show abrasive dirt or sealers in the oil. In this case, we're guessing it's from sealers because metals look so good, but do check the air filter/intake for leaks or issues just in case. Averages for this engine type are based on about 9,000 km on the oil, and you've got great wear numbers by comparison, showing no obvious problems in the works here. No coolant, water, or fuel dilution was found and the TBN was fine at 2.7. A longer run should be no problem. Try 15,000 km for next time. Looks good overall!

Here is the link for those of you who like the visual more:
Blackstone Report

Last edited:
Yes sorry, fuel was shown as
Again, I ran the IOLM down to 0%, so with these results I might reset the meter back to 10% again after I hit 0, and go until I hit 0% again. So 110% total. Does that sound reasonable you you guys?

Originally Posted By: Joseph_S37
Yes sorry, fuel was shown as
Again, I ran the IOLM down to 0%, so with these results I might reset the meter back to 10% again after I hit 0, and go until I hit 0% again. So 110% total. Does that sound reasonable you you guys?

That seems reasonable, even safe I guess. As long as you don't harm your warranty doing so. Are you saying you can reset the olm for just 10% and not a complete reset? I didn't know that could be done but I'm not very advanced.

To be specific, everything looks healthy and the TBN was still in good shape for this report. Therefore, another 10% should be fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dustyroads

That seems reasonable, even safe I guess. As long as you don't harm your warranty doing so. Are you saying you can reset the olm for just 10% and not a complete reset? I didn't know that could be done but I'm not very advanced.

To be specific, everything looks healthy and the TBN was still in good shape for this report. Therefore, another 10% should be fine.

With my specifically optioned F-150, yes I am able to reset to any 10% increment, or a complete reset back to 100%. I know the wife's escape doesn't even show that % remaining, which i'm not too happy about, but that's a whole new topic right there.

I will run 110% this time and hopefully re-sample, and go from there.

Just my take. It sounds like the IOLM provides a healthy safety margin when using an oil of greater quality than the motorcraft synblend.

I'd venture a guess that the TBN would have been much closer to 1.0 had you been using motorcraft or equivalent.

That's not to say he the info is useless, but rather that one can safely go the full duration indicated by the IOLM when using a full synthetic, with headroom to spare.

Curious, though, rather than go 110% on the iolm in hopes of achieving maximum oil life, why not just use a cheaper oil and go according to the IOLM?

Originally Posted By: meborder

Curious, though, rather than go 110% on the iolm in hopes of achieving maximum oil life, why not just use a cheaper oil and go according to the IOLM?

For me, there's a couple reasons why I'm looking to venture down this road, instead of using a cheaper oil.

First being that I want the synthetic oil for the winter months here. It can get down to the mid -30's C for weeks at a time, and in the low -20's C for months. The syn oil is worth it to me for the peace of mind, that I'm doing everything I can to prevent winter wear and tear on the engine.

Second reason is simply less time spent under the vehicle, doing the oil changes. If I know through analysis that the oil is still good, then I will happily keep driving.

Hope that sheds some light on my train of thought regarding this

Makes sense to me. I'm with you on minimizing time under the hood. Though, if I could get them down to once a year I'd be tickled pink. I drive too much:) usually 20k miles per year (30+k kilometers).

Sounds like a solid plan. Looking forward to what 110% or 120+% looks like. I wish the PP would have worked out for me, the cold flow numbers are quite good, but I couldn't deal with the consumption when i knew o could do twice as good

Surprised your winters aren't colder up there. Oddly enough our climates aren't that different.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Joseph_S37
Originally Posted By: meborder

For me, there's a couple reasons why I'm looking to venture down this road, instead of using a cheaper oil.

First being that I want the synthetic oil for the winter months here. It can get down to the mid -30's C for weeks at a time, and in the low -20's C for months. The syn oil is worth it to me for the peace of mind, that I'm doing everything I can to prevent winter wear and tear on the engine.

Second reason is simply less time spent under the vehicle, doing the oil changes. If I know through analysis that the oil is still good, then I will happily keep driving.

Hope that sheds some light on my train of thought regarding this

Great report!

I would do the same personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back