Any Triumph Rocket owners here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: alarmguy

Oh man, you got it so wrong, look at what you wrote and really think about it, almost comical when you think about it.

A company intentionally gives you an inaccurate speedometer so you cant sue them. Hate to tell you its the other way around, if anything, they could be sued if a speedometer could be the fault.

Anyway, never mind all that, bottom line is the speedo is intentionally inaccurate because of most all metric Asain cruisers (except Kawaski) LACK A 6th gear!
SO many of these people humming along in 5th gear dont feel their bike is buzzy in 5th gear when the speedo says 75 or 80 MPH because they are only doing 68 to 72 MPh!
There are some exceptions of course, some of the big powerhouse bikes can have tall gearing to make up for it but for me, I need that 6th as I enjoy the interstates and maybe that is why I do in 6th gear
smile.gif

Metric bikes produce a really cost effective product but if your an interstate cruiser rider, you will miss that 6th gear and it will [censored] you off when you put a GPS on your bike and see how you are being lied to about your speed, if anything its DANGEROUS as cars whiz around you because your going so slow.

Think whatever you want, I'm not talking about cruisers, but motorcycles in general.
My Japanese bike reads 8-10% higher on the speedo than the actual speed.
It has a 6th gear, so what are we compensating for here, a 7th? Come on.
Don't know about you, but I can't remember being overtaken by cars unless I'm enjoying the scenery on purpose.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: grampi
My buddies '09 RK Classic (96 c.i.) is a dog in 6th gear, and he's got exhaust, intake, and fuel manager mods...if any acceleration is required at all, you have to downshift...I don't know how the 103s and 110s are, but 6th gear is too much for the 96...if he were to pull a trailer, it would have to be in 5th gear...

For starters fuel management is a joke if it's a fuel peak or xieds. A real tuner like a power commander or the screaming eagle tuner is required.
Second the stock tuning sucks. Even stock a 96" with a dyno tune will pick up 10hp/tq to the wheel.
When mine was stock it was never a dog in 6th. Never. If his is a dog he needs a real tuning alternative.
And an intake? Please. There is nothing restrictive about the stock intake at stock power levels so only a fool believes there's something to be gained there n
His bike even with those mods isn't any more powerful than stock.
And mine isn't even close to stock. S&S 106 kit,tw6-6 cams,heads milled and ported. It increased the compression ratio so I had manual compression releases machined in.
56mm tb,S&S intake,power commander v tuner and a dyno tune. 107hp/115tq to the wheel. 100tq at 2200rpm.
And a road king is at least 100-150 pounds heavier than my dyna.
I laugh at guys when they talk up their exhaust and intake. Useless mods unless you get into the engine and a complete waste of money,unless they are just after form and not function.
Mines an 08. If I didn't have this bike exactly where I want it I'd seriously consider a triumph triple or the new Honda sport type bagger.
Yamaha has a couple nice bikes but Thera no aftermarket for anything but the v-star.
So yep I believe his bike is a bit of a dog. The engine and gears need more rpm with a bike that heavy,and his mods likely cost him power instead of gaining it.
But with a Harley there is an unlimited aftermarket and one can pretty much go anywhere as long as they've got the money to pay for it.
I've got a jagg 10 row oil cooler and a twin head fan set up I got from a guy called fabrik8tor via a Harley forum. In the city those fans(manually switched) are absolutely fantastic for heat dissipation.
So yeah,no problem pulling a trailer for me. A road King is so heavy even with a small trailer and gear I'm still lighter.

I doubt his mods cost him power, he said it dynode after the mods at 97 ft lbs rear wheel...I'm sure that's considerably more than a stock one...he didn't say what the HP was...of course when one gets used to having 159 ft lbs at the rear wheel, EVERYTHING else seems like a dog! Lol!

Last edited:
My buddies '09 RK Classic (96 c.i.) is a dog in 6th gear, and he's got exhaust, intake, and fuel manager mods...if any acceleration is required at all, you have to downshift...I don't know how the 103s and 110s are, but 6th gear is too much for the 96...if he were to pull a trailer, it would have to be in 5th gear...

For starters fuel management is a joke if it's a fuel peak or xieds. A real tuner like a power commander or the screaming eagle tuner is required.
Second the stock tuning sucks. Even stock a 96" with a dyno tune will pick up 10hp/tq to the wheel.
When mine was stock it was never a dog in 6th. Never. If his is a dog he needs a real tuning alternative.
And an intake? Please. There is nothing restrictive about the stock intake at stock power levels so only a fool believes there's something to be gained there n
And mine isn't even close to stock. S&S 106 kit,tw6-6 cams,heads milled and ported. It increased the compression ratio so I had manual compression releases machined in.
56mm tb,S&S intake,power commander v tuner and a dyno tune. 107hp/115tq to the wheel. 100tq at 2200rpm.
I laugh at guys when they talk up their exhaust and intake. Useless mods unless you get into the engine and a complete waste of money,unless they are just after form and not function.
Mines an 08. If I didn't have this bike exactly where I want it I'd seriously consider a triumph triple or the new Honda sport type bagger.
Yamaha has a couple nice bikes but Thera no aftermarket for anything but the v-star.
So yep I believe his bike is a bit of a dog. The engine and gears need more rpm with a bike that heavy,and his mods likely cost him power instead of gaining it.
But with a Harley there is an unlimited aftermarket and one can pretty much go anywhere as long as they've got the money to pay for it.
I've got a jagg 10 row oil cooler and a twin head fan set up I got from a guy called fabrik8tor via a Harley forum. In the city those fans(manually switched) are absolutely fantastic for heat dissipation.
So yeah,no problem pulling a trailer for me. A road King is so heavy even with a small trailer and gear I'm still lighter.

I doubt his mods cost him power, he said it dynode after the mods at 97 ft lbs rear wheel...I'm sure that's considerably more than a stock one...he didn't say what the HP was...of course when one gets used to having 159 ft lbs at the rear wheel, EVERYTHING else seems like a dog! Lol!

I"m happy for you and the excitement your new ride brings but, keep a cool head cuz just about every liter bike (slang for Sport Bike) on the road will fry your 159 ft lbs of torque. Be safe grampi
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: FastGame

I"m happy for you and the excitement your new ride brings but, keep a cool head cuz just about every liter bike (slang for Sport Bike) on the road will fry your 159 ft lbs of torque. Be safe grampi
smile.gif

Yeah, there are lots of bikes that will smoke the Rocket, but not many cruisers that will...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back